PDA

View Full Version : Joan's November Page A Day

Joan T
11-02-2010, 03:31 PM
My pages are all going to be done without my normal pencil sketch first...either straight in ink, or straight in watercolor. I know I need to practice that much more than I do now. I started with this page in an already started sketchbook...one of those spirals with the hard black cover. It still has at least 40 blank pages. If I know I'm going to do a watercolor sketch outside I plan on using a wc notebook like the one I used for Oct. I don't want to worry about the washes on the paper.

This first page was done with items from the current scavenger hunt over in the Artwork from Life forum.

JTMB
11-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Nice first page, Joan! And a good challenge for the month, indeed. Based on advice from a real expert at drawing birds from life, I have done some bird sketching with ink. The rationale for the advice is that with ink since you don't get to erase, it focuses your concentration a lot more by taking away the crutch of an eraser. I'm far from being able to do that, however...! Looking forward to your pages this month.

RainySea
11-02-2010, 06:19 PM
nice ones, Joan. . . that walnut it perfect, lovely texture. Your pen strokes look very confident and true.

virgo68
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Great start Joan! You will really notice your observation skills improve even more working this way. It makes you think about where to place lines an what to put in or leave out.

Looking forward to watching this evolve ;)

seejay
11-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Great start Joan. Nice pen sketches.

We don't need no stinkin' pencils!:D

Cheers

Epoh
11-03-2010, 02:48 AM
I love that you are doing watercolor without pencil lines first :)
I applaud your bravery and gumption! (and I wish I had it :wink2: )

look forward to seeing more!

WYSIWYG
11-03-2010, 04:37 AM
You're brave - and it pays! I love the idea of not being able to undo and forcing oneself to think reflexively on line placement! Yours has come out very nice!

WYSIWYG
11-03-2010, 04:38 AM
You're brave - and it pays! I love the idea of not being able to undo and forcing oneself to think reflexively on line placement! How do the scavanger hunts work - someone gives a list of various things to 'find' to sketch and you have to complete them all?

Joan T
11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
John - Thanks. I'm hoping not having the pencil and eraser to rely on will make me focus and plan more.

Rainy - Thanks so much.

Jackie - Thanks. I am hping my observation skills will improve. It will be a new kind of practice.

Chris - Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Epoh - I've been trying to do sketches w/o pencil every now and then, but not often enough. This will force it. Thanks.

WYSIWG - Thank you. Someone hosts the scavenger hunt every 9 days. You get 26 items to find and you can do as many as you want, or as few as you want...and in any medium you want. They can be as detailed or as sketchy as you want. I usually sit at night and "watch" tv while I sketch for it. For most of the hunts I tend to finish all the items.

Here is page 2. This was done straight in watercolors. Again this was done for the scavenger hunt. I was hoping to do something outdoors, but my plein air group met yesterday and I spent several hours on one painting and had to do some chores...next thing it was too dark to sketch outdoors. lol

JTMB
11-03-2010, 11:34 AM
The apple core came out great, Joan! It is very painterly, really a nice feel and style to it. Good job!

sarales
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice, Joan!

DrDebby
11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Very brave to go without a pencil. But, you seem to be handling it just fine. Your pen work is great and your watercolors are fantastic.

virgo68
11-04-2010, 02:20 AM
cool! Your observation skills are already great with all the plein aire painting you do but I reckon you might just take it up a notch or two with this sort of practise!! ;)

seejay
11-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Nice apple core for sure.

RainySea
11-04-2010, 09:38 AM
wonderful apple core. . . you certainly didn't need the pencil for that one. You nailed it. I wish I could do as well even WITH the pencils/pens. :)

Joan T
11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
John, Leslie, Debby, Jackie, Chris, & Rainy - Thanks a lot! I've tried to work without pencils sketching a few times before, but I really have to force myself to do it more. This is a great way to do that.

Here is a landscape I did in watercolors yesterday. This is a building that is part of the Islip Grange. I did find myself studing the area more carefully before I made that first brush stroke. LOL

sarales
11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Very nice! You definitely have to plan better than I do to paint with no pencil, especially something as complicated as this with that picket fence. Excellent!

eyepaint
11-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Wonderful start. Great challenge you set for yourself. Love that apple core!!!

WYSIWYG
11-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Awesome job! I really liked it and then saw and recalled you're doing without the sketching... just a bit of mild jawdropping here! LOL

JTMB
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Another great piece, Joan! I can't imagine doing any architecture without a preliminary sketch. Having grown up in PA, this scene really reminds me of 'back east'. Well done.

Davkin
11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Wonderful house sketch Joan.

David

RainySea
11-04-2010, 10:29 PM
beautiful, Joan. . . did you use the spatter technique on the trees?

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Paint house + no pencil sketch: awesome painting. You are doing a fantastic job.

Joan T
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Leslie - Thanks. I am hoping that this will help me paint faster when I need to. Sometimes I spend far too much time on the sketch.

EP - Thanks so much. I was trying this for the scavenger hunts once in a while, but definitely not often enough.

WYSIWYG - Thanks. It is hard to do this with some of the architecture. You'll see in the next one that I didn't allow enough room between the roof and the downstairs windows. lol

John - Thanks so much.

David - Thank you.

Rainy - Thanks. I did splatter a bit, but that little travel brush in the field kit doesn't hold much paint.

Debby - Thanks for your kind words.

Here is yesterday's painting. It was raining here, so again I sat in my car to paint.

Yorky
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Lovely sketch Joan. I know that a commitment to a daily sketch does motivate you. You find opportunities everywhere.

Doug

RainySea
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Must be hard to paint in your car? Do you use a waterbrush? Great Fall colors and it does give the feel of a rainy day very well!

DrDebby
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
You are dedicated. The colors are wonderful on this one. The house still reads as house so it's a good painting.

Elain
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
you certainly caught the look of a wet afternoon.
Great job on the apple core, and houses, especially without drwaing first.

Joan T
11-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Doug - Thanks. You are right. You start seeing possible sketches everywhere.

Rainy - Thank you. I just move the driver's seat as far back as it will go, so I'm not bumping into the steering wheel. My sketchbook is fairly small and I use a waterbrush which helps a lot. My only problem is when I want to splatter, cause the paint tends to fly a bit and lands mostly on me. lol

Debby - Thanks! I usually spend so much time sketching and erasing, and sketching and erasing. This method solves that problem.

Elain - Thank you!!

I did paint something yesterday, but never got to take a photo of it to upload it. I was too busy in the evening working on my painting that will be my Christmas card. I'm in a Christmas Card Exchange here on WC, so I have to have it done earlier than normal.

On Tuesday my husband and I are driving to Kansas for a memorial service. (His cousin died last month in a fall while hiking in Colorado.) I'm bringing my supplies and am going to try painting in the car and during stops. I'll see what I can capture. I'll try to post again before I leave, and if possible in route.

eyepaint
11-06-2010, 12:35 PM
That scene even feels rainy. Great job.

poochemio
11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Joan, awesome pieces. I think by the time you finish up your drive to and from Kansas your architechtural pieces will be perfect! Lots of interesting barns and farm buildings on that drive. Can you actually sketch while riding in a car? My lines go a bit wobbly when I do. Might be easier to paint, or not!:confused: I used to work on applique and hand piecing in the car fairly well, with only an occasional stabbed finger. Have a safe trip.
Margo
ps stop and eat a yummy piece of midwestern pie somewhere for me please!

JTMB
11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Another nice autumn sketch! Sorry to hear about the reason for the trip, but road trips are great opportunities for sketching. Looking forward to see your work from the trip.

virgo68
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Ditto John's sentiments, good luck with the trip.

Your work is lovely Joan, I can't really see much of a difference in your work, which suggests that your observational skills are wonderful - pencil first or not!! Are you going to add any ink to these pieces do you think?

Joan T
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
EP - Thanks.

Margo - Thanks. I've never tried sketching/painting in a moving auto. I have tried sketching on the NYC subway (not easy) and on the train in Europe. I'll have to see how it goes in the car. I may end up sketching a lot in the lobby of the Hampton Inns on the way. By the time we get to the hotels it should be already dark...but I'll sketch even if it is just inside the room. lol

John - Thank you. I don't know how much architecture I'll get to sketch, but I do plan on part of a day sketching in Wichita before the rest of the family arrives by plane.

Jackie - Thanks so much.

Here are the sketches from the last 2 days.
"Lake View" I sketched directly in pen for a change and then added the color.
"Edwards Homestead Barn" was done directly in watercolors.

Elain
11-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Love the lake view with the pen drawing first. The sepia? pen is not as harsh as black ink and blends in well.

Those windows on the building must have been fiddly.

DrDebby
11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
More wonderful paintings. Like the ink on the first one.

RainySea
11-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi Joan,
both sketches are lovely, neat to see the contrast between the two styles.

Joan T
11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Elain - Thanks. I like using the sepia ink rather than black. It blends in better to the picture and isn't as stark.

Debby - Thanks.

Rainy - Thank you. I can never decide which way I want to sketch. lol

This was done yesterday on my way home from a reception at an art gallery. I had to do it before the sun went down. I hate that it gets dark so early!

I don't know if I'll get to post while I'm gone. I always forget that I still haven't found a way to resize my images on a public computer while I travel. So I may just have to catch up when I get home. If I find a computer in route, I will pop in and visit.

sarales
11-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Beautiful, Joan!

WYSIWYG
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
These are just awesome, they are such lovely little slices of life. We have little art journals from my husbands grandfather and his mentors, sketched in/around Paris and Normandy which are similar - just little snippets of whatever they spotted at cafes, while walking or at theaters. They are great fun to go through now, 80-90 years+ and see how things were back then over there and how those two people experienced them. I can so picture someone snuggled up with these delighting in them well in the future. :)

virgo68
11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Great stuff Joan - I do particularly like the sepia pen with the watercolour - Robert did something similar way back and I really liked the sepia pen then. It is not so stark or "in your face" as the black. Hmmmmmm, not to self - dig out a sepia pen to try....... :lol:

JTMB
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Three more great pieces, Joan! Good luck on the trip, and I hope you are able to post, but if not, we'll have a nice bunch to see when you get back.

RainySea
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
a beautiful walkway. . . makes me want to take a stroll. Hope you have a good trip.

DrDebby
11-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Another lovely painting. Take care on your trip. See you when you get back.

seejay
11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Lovely landscapes Joan.

sarales
11-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Joan, I just read back and realized why you are making your trip. I'm sorry about your husband's loss! Have a safe trip. I hope you get some sketches done along the way!
Wysywig- what a great slice of history to have! That's a wonderful thought about these sketches being enjoyed so much in the future. :)

Joan T
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Leslie - Thanks.

WYSIWYG - Thanks. I have sketches from most of the places I've visited in the last 15 yrs or so including Key West, Paris, and Venice. I hope someone enjoys them in the future. That would be fun!

Jackie - Thanks. Definitely try the sepia pen. It is much softer looking. I used to be able to get a micron one with a 0.005 point, but they don't seem to make it any more. I can only find the 0.05.

John - Thank you. My problem with the images is resizing them without a program on the computer. I can't download one that will do it.

Rainy - Thanks!

Debby - Thank you.

Chris - Thanks.

I did a sketch yesterday when I got to the hotel and one today. Both are of the foliage around the outside of the hotel, and aren't views that are very impressive...but at least I'm sketching. We keep passing these awesome barns, but I can't sit on the side of the road to sketch them. lol My husband doesn't sleep well at night, so I end up doing most of the driving. I don't want a sleep deprived person driving me anywhere. Maybe I'll find something a little more scenic in Wichita tomorrow.

Joan T
11-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I grabbed my zip drive from the room. It has one more of my sketches.
"Martini Time"

See ya!

virgo68
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
atmospheric colour - and a wonderful subject! ;)
take care on those roads.....

DrDebby
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Great sketch. Take care out there traveling.

Joan T
11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I did get out to paint earlier today in downtown Wichita. I had to keep the wipers going and the defroster blowing on the front windshield so I could see. It has been raining here since we got here yesterday, but I didn't let that stop me. I'll post them when I get back. Hope everyone is busy with their art journals. I have a few minutes, so I'll check out a few.

Yorky
11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
You are a dedicate sketcher Joan :thumbsup:

Doug

Chuckcamo
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
The Lake View sketch and the Edwards Homestead Barn look really great, like the colors... The Martini looks tasty:)

mhimeswc
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Joan, I had forgotten that you mentioned your new no pencil project for November. These are really great! You would never know that you didn't sketch the wc's or the pen and inks in pencil first. Super project!

Joan T
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Doug - Thanks. lol I don't want my brushes to get rusty.

Churck - Thanks. Some of the sketches are pretty easy without preliminary lines, but some are really hard.

Mickey - Thanks. I remember how you painted going to Pennsylvania in the car. It sure isn't easy to do without lines.

The no pencil sketching idea doesn't work so well for painting in the car while my husband is driving. I did a few small ones, but so much of it ends up being from memory because we're past the scene before I get anything on the paper. But I have persisted!!! I should be home tomorrow, and will hopefully get the work posted in the next few days.

RainySea
11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
neat sketch, like the color and that looks like an interesting glass.

Joan T
11-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Rainy - Thanks.

Here are the sketches I did while I was gone.

Our first hotel stop was in St. Clairsville, Ohio. This first painting was done sitting on the edge of one of the light fixture bases outside the hotel which was up on a hill.

The second piece was done outside the hotel in Effingham, Illinois. This was my first visit to Illinois. The foliage didn't look much different than anywhere else.

The flower arrangement was in the lobby of our Hampton Inn...much easier to do that than go outside to sketch.

Joan T
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Both of these were painted in Wichita. It was raining but I figured I could sit in the car and paint. I went to Old Town to do the first sketch. There were mostly converted warehouses and it wasn't too scenic anywhere I could park and actually see.

Next I drove over to the river. I parked next to one of the museums and by that time it was pouring. I had to keep the windshield wipers and the defogger going so I could see.

Joan T
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
On the way back I decided to challenge myself and actually paint from the moving car while my husband was driving. It would have been MUCH easier to do these with pencil lines, because the scenery was moving past at a very fast pace.

These were done in Missouri and Indiana along I-70. I would do a bit of one scene, then combine another bit from a different spot. These are tiny...I could fit 3 on each page.

JTMB
Great that you fit in time to sketch on the trip! All are very nicely done, as usual. I would probably pick the Old Town scene as my fave - I like how you do architecture.

Yorky
As I said, a dedicated sketcher. Nice work Joan.

Doug

JTMB
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Ooops - I posted while you were adding images. I really like the last two from-the-car sketches, particularly the barn!

Joan T
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I had to do a still life last night, because by the time we got home it was already dark outside. Hopefully if I get off the computer now I can get one done outdoors for today's sketch.

RainySea
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Beautiful landscapes, Joan. . . I wish I had been able to do some of those when we drove cross country in October. They are all wonderful, the barn is a favorite of mine also but I also like the one in Witchita. How do you get them so square with the little border around? Its like they are painting within a frame. . . I love that, too :) So neat.

sarales
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow, Joan, these are wonderful! You really are much more dedicated than I am. I guess i want the conditions to be perfect in order to sketch outdoors. I'd get a lot more accomplished if I went ahead and did what I planned in spite of bad weather or any other hindrances!! Yay for your persistence!

DrDebby
11-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Amazing job. The dedication to painting even while on the road trip and in a moving car is very inspiring. These are wonderful paintings, all of them.

seejay
11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Joan, these are great. I pull my wc set out once in a blue moon, but your posts may inspire me to use it more often.

Dougwas
11-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Wonderful sketches, Joan. You are doing great without the drawing first. I think you said it makes you study your subject more when you paint without a drawing. I guess that can be a good thing.

I look forward to seeing more.

Doug

Joan T
11-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Rainy - Thanks. I tape around the section I'm going to paint in. That's how I end up with the borders.

Leslie - Thank you. I tend to sketch no matter the weather.

Debby - Thanks so much.

Chris - Dig out that wc paint set! Thanks.

Doug - Thank you so much!

Chuckcamo
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Impressive landscapes, especially the ones while the car is moving, very nice indoor study...:thumbsup:

Joan T
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Chuck - Thank you.

Here are the next two sketches.
The first is of the Suffolk County Farm. To do this I was sitting alongside the exit ramp on one of NY's busiest highways. Some day I'm going to go into the field to do a painting of this spot.

The second one was done on the way home from my plein air location yesterday. I turned onto this road and the colors looked so good.

Elain
11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
love the Missouri Highway and Indiana barn view.

I was wondering how you sketched from the can and now it is clear - a bit here and then a bit from there. Great sketches for being so small too.

There's some great views from the exit ramps! I have a spot I like too. Stopped and taken photos but not safe to park there with the traffic.

Nice colours in the shady lane. Very inviting with the warm colours in the foreground and the curve in the path. I like the touch of the letterbox.

Dougwas
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I love the farm painting. You have an eye for interesting subjects to paint. I wonder how many artists just drive by that farm and never stop to paint it? Ditto for the second painting. Lovely paintings, Joan.

Doug

RainySea
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
both are lovely, but the farm is really great. . . it looks like just somewhere I'd want to live, so peaceful. Thanks for the tip on the tape! Great idea. It gives such a neat look to your book. I have got to try that when I start using a real watercolor sketchbook next month. The tape obviously does not tear your paper or anything. Do you use that white artist tape?

DrDebby
11-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Wonderful farm painting. That lane looks so inviting, I can see why you had to stop and paint it.

JTMB
11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Two more great sketches, Joan! My favorite is the farm - I love old barns.

Chuckcamo
11-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Like those last paintings, great job. It must be nice to know a work of art is waiting around the corner for you.

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Ayo, awesome job on the paintings. Would make awesome for book illustrations as well. :)

virgo68
11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Fantastic stuff Joan - not that I expect anything else from you ;)

Love it that you are so dedicated you sit in the car with the wipers on, defogging the window to paint :lol: I am starting to whinge cos it is getting a little hot in my back room I call my studio - although I did sit out in the sun sketching yesterday while my hubby and son fished lol!

Joan T
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Elain - Thank you. I pass so many spots that I wish were safer to sit and sketch.

Doug - Thanks. Most people don't even realize the farm can be seen from that spot. I get off the exit and back up a little to get a good view. If you're not heading east you can't get there at all.

Rainy - Thank you. I tried using white artist tape, but it kept tearing the Canson paper. I switched to blue painters tape and that works well. The only problem is that it doesn't come narrow enough, so I have to wrap it around the edge of the paper.

Debby - Thanks!

John - I love old barns too. Thanks.

Chuck - Thanks. There are really so many interesting spots to paint.

Jackie - Thank you. Lately the car has been my favorite spot to paint from. I stay dry and warm.

I planned on doing more detail of the area around the duck, but the day was too damp and cold!
The cottage in the village was done for the WDE from a reference photo by "Skattykat."
"Bellport House" I've painted before. I did the front porch with the American flag hanging outside.
"Duffy's Deli" was a challenge with all those signs hanging out front. It is located on the north fork of Long Island.

I'm heading back up to Maine for Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to post for a few days. I hope that turkey is ready to sit for me. lol Have a great Thanksgiving if you are celebrating.

JTMB
11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
A great set of sketches, Joan! The houses and deli remind me very much of the Bucks County area near Philly, where I lived for 7 years after college. The first one looks like so many of the old stone houses that date back many years - some to colonial times.

RainySea
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the tip on the tape, Joan! I will try that. I have had a problem with the white artist tape sticking and ripping my colorfix before so I was hesitant to use now.

Your paintings are wonderful. . . I just love that duck! Fantastic color. I have been doing some studies of ducks and once I figure out how to get their form better, I want to do a painting down at the duck pond. . . maybe a first plein air watercolor *gasp*

All the buildings are great, but the brick one is my fav because of how great you've done at suggesting the brick texture but not drawing every brick! Bravo on that. The hill perspective is also great and wonderfully done.

Have a fun holiday in Maine!

virgo68
11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Lovely set of paintings - I really like the duck as he/she is the looseness is very appealing. I also like Duffy's Deli, the colours are lovely and I like the way you depict the produce out the front ;)

WYSIWYG
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
I love these, I always feel nostalgic when I look at this journal. The stone house particularly is nicely done. :)

DrDebby
11-23-2010, 08:29 PM
These are just wonderful. Have a safe trip and enjoy Thanksgiving.

Vivien Maloney
11-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Wonderful paintings Joan! I just love them! Have a safe trip and a happy Thanksgiving.

Joan T
11-28-2010, 03:05 PM
John, Rainy, Jackie, WYSIWYG, Debby, and Viv - Many thanks to all of you for your comments on my sketches. I hope doing the sketches w/o pencil lines helps me in the future. I found it hard to do. lol

Here are the next group:
This was done for the scavenger hunt...and I swear I left the glass empty while I painted. lol

Joan T
11-28-2010, 03:07 PM
The flowers were done from an arrangement my sister had in her den. Nothing was actually blooming in Maine...much too cold already. We had a dusting of snow on everything the day after Thanksgiving when we woke up.

Joan T
11-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Both of these were done while sitting in the car in parking lots in my sister's town of Damariscotta, Maine. The Damariscotta River flows through the town to the ocean.

Joan T
11-28-2010, 03:13 PM
This last sketch was done just in ink while we were sitting in line waiting to board the ferry in New London, Connecticut. We take it across Long Isand Sound to the tip of Long Island. It ferry ride doesn't really make the trip any shorter, but we are in the car less time and miss all the traffic at the bridge to Long Island. Usually I get to sit on the ferry and sketch a bit, but after 2 very quick sketches I quit. They announced the trip would be "rough" and they were right...lots of waves, wind, and blowing water...not what you need when you're sketching. lol

RainySea
11-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi Joan, wow a bunch of beautiful scenes from your travels. Nice transparency on the bottle and glass. I love both of the watercolor Maine scenes and can imagine it is hard without a pencil on something so quite complex as those scenes. The harbor scene in ink is great. . . I love that one - did you do a was on the ink?

virgo68
11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
great stuff Joan - you are brave tackling those complicated scenes with no pencil first! Making the effort is paying off though - if you can do something like that with no hesitancy than nothing can faze you :)

seejay
11-28-2010, 05:11 PM
All great sketches, but I especially like your outdoor wcs. :clap:

DrDebby
11-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Great bunch of sketches from your travels. Too bad about the ferry ride being rough so you couldn't sketch. You are doing wonderful without penciling things first. Much braver than I in that regard.

JTMB
11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Great to see your travel sketches, Joan! My favorites are the first scene with the river and the ferry terminal pilings scene. I empathize with the rough ferry ride - I had an 11 hour one from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to Portland, Maine on a road trip in 2002.

Joan T
11-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Rainy - Thanks. I just wet the ink lines and let them bleed a little bit in that last one.

Jackie - Thanks! For many of these sketches this month I really wanted to get out my pencil. lol It has taught me to really look at the scenes before getting started.

Chris - I enjoy doing the outdoor scenes a lot. Thanks.

Debby - Thank you. I'll be glad to get back to my pencil. lol

John - Thanks. Luckily the ferry ride from CT to NY only takes about 1 1/2 hrs. I was tempted to go outside for some fresh air, but it was really too windy. I knew it would be over soon. I wouldn't want to have to hold on for 11 hrs.

This one was done in Bellport, where I seem to be painting a lot lately. It is a restaurant...and the only name outside seems to be "Restaurant" which I failed to put on the painting. I did this while waiting for an art gallery to open. I was there to pick up 2 paintings I had in a show, and deliver 3 paintings for the next show. It was a good way to use the extra time.

RainySea
11-29-2010, 01:56 PM
lovely building. . . beautiful painting and love the composition with the pops of warm color of the bike and flag on one side and the cooler greenery on the other.

vhere
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
what a lovely little town

DrDebby
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Splendid building. Like the bicycle against the tree. I would have been tempted to leave in out.

virgo68
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree with Debby :lol: ! However, the little touches such as leaving the bike in make your work so interesting. I love the colour scheme on the building - is it a seaside town? I always think those colours are nautical, and you see lots of it in seaside towns......

JTMB
11-30-2010, 01:37 AM
I really love your building pieces - this one is especially good!

Elain
11-30-2010, 02:45 AM
I can almost feel the sun in this one with the light on the building. Nice.

Joan T
12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Rainy - Thanks so much.

Vivien - Thanks. This is one of those perfect little towns with two art galleries, a few shops, restaurants, and lots of white picket fences. I would love to live there and be able to walk into the center of town.

Debby - Thank you. If I had to sketch the whole bike, I'm sure I would have left it out. lol

Jackie - Thanks. It is a seaside town. I live on the south shore of Long Island, so I'm surrounded by little towns, beaches, boats, marinas, etc. I love the variety of things I have to paint and sketch.

John - Thanks so much!

Elain - Thanks!

Here are the last entries to finish out the month. Not using pencil lines was a real challenge. I will be very happy to have my pencil and kneaded eraser in hand again.:wink2:

This is a view of the Bayport Flower Shops. I couldn't pass up all those Christmas trees ready to be sold. I sat in the car in the parking lot to paint. It was definitely a bit chilly outside.

Joan T
12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Yesterday was my birthday, so what better way to finish up my November journal than with a painting of the roses that my husband bought for me. This sketch is a bit bigger than most of the others. I used almost the whole page for this, while the others were done two to a page.

Hope you enjoyed seeing these.

Yorky
12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Happy Birthday Joan, lovely flowers.

Doug

DrDebby
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Happy Birthday. What a nice husband to buy you roses. They are lovely. Congrats on your finish. The trees all bunched together at the nursery is great.

virgo68
12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Lovely work again Joan - belated Happy Birthday wishes!

This way you have a lasting memory of your flowers once they are gone - nice idea :)

seejay
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Well done for the month, a great finish. Happy birthday for the other day.

(Not sure why you would want the pencil / eraser back....???)

sarales
12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Happy birthday, Joan!!! Those are lovely flowers. I LOVE the Christmas trees as well- what a cheerful scene!

eyepaint
12-02-2010, 12:53 AM
These are all wonderful. I'm partial to your ink + wc pieces so my very favourites are the old town witchita the red building piece, and then later in the thread the deli painting. Lovely!!!

Joan T
12-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Doug - Thank you.

Debby - I liked the collection of Christmas trees. Thanks.

Jackie - Thank you. My husband buys me flowers every once in a while and I try to paint them before they have to be tossed. LOL I'm not always successful.

Chris - Thanks so much! I know the pencil is a crutch, but it is so much easier to work out the sketch.

Leslie - Thanks. That one of the trees got me into the holiday mood.

EP - Glad you got to look at them. Thank you.