PDA

View Full Version : Heidi

gaykir
11-02-2010, 02:58 PM
This is a commission being gifted by someone to a young cancer victim who recently had her leg amputated. Apparently Heidi is a friend of theirs who took dance lessons with their daughter. I personally question the wisdom of this commission but that's their business not mine. C & C welcome

24" X 36" gallery wrapped canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/56079-Heidi_12.jpg

noodle1
11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
You did a wonderful job with this one, does seem a bit odd doesn't it but...
for you part it's fantastic!

Elaine

purplepansey
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
It's lovely Gayle and I'm sure they'll be pleased but like you, I question the wisdom of this particular portrait. You did a fine job of it.

clementine
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
lovely dancer and lovely work Gayle!but I am not sure either it'll be a lovely gift..
'clem'

WYSIWYG
11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
It's a lovely painting, how sad for the young girl in question. Still, I suppose everyone copes in their own way and we mightn't know what we'd find comforting or not till we're the ones going through it. I hope she finds it a lovely reminder of the joy she found in dancing and the strength and discipline of character that will get her through the transition.

arl
11-03-2010, 06:32 AM
A wonderful work. I like the pose and colors.

maryinasia
11-03-2010, 06:59 AM
beautiful. check her nose.

ladypainter
11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Beautiful work. I also question the wisdom of this gift but hopefully it will make her happy.It is so sad what happened to her.

ninjagoat
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I was having a word with my brother just a bit back there at first my thoughts where the same as you lot. But he made a valid point to me you cant throw your life in the bin like it don't excist anymore. His point is people are spurred on by goals. Even those that have illness like cancer.

I think the fact her leg has been removed means they have removed the cancer given her the rest her life to look forward too. I now think that painting is a blessing tbh. For the fact ive seen first hand what people can achieve. Its a Beautiful work. imo you should be proud.:thumbsup:

ddel
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Beauty is different to many people. I'm sure she will love it.
Doug

OkeeKat
11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Very beautiful Gayle, I too wondered about that, would think it would upset the poor girl more.. but hey gota keep the client happy!!
Great work!!

gaykir
11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks so much for your comments Elaine, Purple, Clem Wysiwyg, Arlene, Mary, Elinor, ddel, & Kathie.

Trevor, I did so appreciate your thoughts. They gave me a whole new perspective!

Perhaps in time it will be treasured. Who knows? She may be thrilled.

Dcam
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Gayle; terrific job and prayers to the family. You rendered this very well.
Derek

vet
11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I love it, very beautifully painted but check her eyes they seem to be cross eyed.

Yvette

dances_with_oils
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Gayle, a friend of mine got himself blown up in Afghanistan by an IED. He lost both his legs above the knee. One of his favourite photographs is one where he was sitting on the edge of a mountain pass in Banff with his feet hanging over the edge. He often makes that picture a screen wallpaper and sits his computer on his lap to remember what his feet looked like. He uses the image in his public speeches. Have a look at a very brave and motivational man here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nx421v5ZLw) The photograph appears at about 2:50.

Give the young girl the painting, it'll do her good. One day she may dance again... Paul made his goal to walk his son to school - he did and then some.

rmc
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Love seeing your work Gayle - this is a lovely dancer. Maybe it will halp her to have memories of what life was and give her hope for what she can still achieve in the future. How heart rending for her parents as well as this lass. You have handled it very sensitively!

gaykir
11-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks Derek, Yvette & Bell. I appreciate your taking the time to comment. No her eyes are not crossed. If you look at my blog and click on the photo you can see a larger version and you'll see more clearly perhaps.

Ruth, you comments mean a great deal. Thank you!