PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWIG's Nov Page-A-Day

WYSIWYG
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
This one will be in the same book as my previous - an Eraldo di Paolo A5 100gsm art diary. Last time I tried to avoid dogs to get out of my comfort zone. Unfortunately it's the dog stuff I have demand for, so I had to try and fit that in too which was difficult to fit into the 5 minute snippets of time my kiddos give me. Soooo, compromise... I'll do whatever tickles my fancy that day which will probably mean lots of dogs and occasional bits of other stuff.:lol:

Day the First - 1 November
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/301541-bestseat.jpg
This little gal had done well in her class and was enjoying watching the rest of the show this weekend. She looked very comfy and I loved the line her long, floofy tail* made!

(* Aussie Shepherds can be born with anything from a nubby-stubby, to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4th or full length tails. They're usually docked but in Aus it's illegal now so we have all lengths of tails!) Please forgive the shadow from the camera!

RainySea
11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
beautiful. . . is it done in pen? the fur texture is so realistic/true and what a great expression.

WYSIWYG
11-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Yep. My usual UniPen 0.8mm and a new Zig .005mm black. I :heart: my new pen! Such nice teensyweensie lines it draws! :clap:

eyepaint
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Awwww! Looky at that doggie :) :) :)

I'd need a magnifying lens to work with 0.005 mm pen lines - eek!

JTMB
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Love the dog - looks like he's in the director's chair, running the family business!

Davkin
11-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Great ink work!

David

virgo68
11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Such a fun drawing - she does have a "pleased with herself" air to her :lol:

seejay
11-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice! Great expression.

Epoh
11-03-2010, 02:22 AM
wonderful!!

WYSIWYG
11-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Day the Second - 2 Nov
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2010/301541-obedstay.jpg
This gorgeous lad is Leo, one of my favorite doggies! He belongs to one of my doggie friends and formally known as Ellagant Full O Mischief CDX ADX JDX SPD HT. In real life he is an easy-going lovebug but in sketching he's been a perfectly evil to get looking half decent with his massive, dark coat and 9 zillion little fur directional changes! :lol: Ink with an acrylic background. (Interestingly, the floor of the building was just as streaky... so it's not just crappy painting! LOL)

Eyepaint - the .005mm pen is AWESOME with extra awesomesauce!

eyepaint
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Leo is a handsome fellow with his 8 zillion fur direction changes.

Does the awesomesauce come with a magnifier? :) :) :)

sarales
11-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow, these are wonderful. No wonder you love to draw dogs! You are amazing at it. I look forward to seeing more!

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Gorgeous dogs. Love the one sitting in a chair so pleased.

virgo68
11-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Yep! Love your dogs - you certainly have a knack with them :)

WYSIWYG
11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Day the Third - 3 Nov 2010
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2010/301541-puppen.jpg
Yeah - a third blue merle and a second laying dog - promise todays will be different! LOL This was a random pup at a recent show that caught my eye for it's long natural bob tail.

I usually fully sketch in eyes and other essential-to-character bits before inking but decided to free-hand the eye and ear details as I could tell my 18 month old wasn't going to indulge mummy in sketch time long enough to pencil sketch and then ink it! Discovery of the day: enough titanium white hideseverything and marker draws over it after!:lol: Still looks wonky though.

RainySea
11-04-2010, 11:27 PM
that one of Leo looks so very regal!
You sure do great dogs.

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Darling pup.

The fact that you draw at all with an 18 month old is amazing!

WYSIWYG
11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Day the Fourth - 4 Nov 2010
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2010/301541-jaspysk.jpg
See? Not only not blue merle or laying down - it's not even a dog! LOL This is Jasper, our Norwegian Forest Cat cross. His ancestors include some of the finest NFC bloodlines imported from Sweden, Norway, UK and NZ who have won many prizes here in Aus I'm told.... and one naughty farmcat belonging to the breeders neighbor that snuck in a window! :lol: Another ink sketch, done very quickly.

Leo is definitely a regal boy. :)

Luckily, Lily is the worlds most easy going baby bless her. :heart: I'd have never gotten away with sketching at 18 months old with my son. He has a sensory integration disorder and at age 5 I still wouldn't be able to take my eyes off him to draw a stick figure except that he loves to sketch and paint too. :lol:

Joan T
11-05-2010, 02:19 PM
These are great! My favorite is the dog posing in the chair!!!

DrDebby
11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Lovely markings on your Forest Cat (cross). He's beautiful.

virgo68
11-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Great stuff, I am liking this sketchbook.... ;)

WYSIWYG
11-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Day the Fifth 5 Nov 2010

A Kelpie head sketch, the dogs name is Spyder. Kelpies are the prefered Australian working stockdogs, somewhat similar to Border Collies in working style although a bit tougher and better at backing by far ime.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2010/301541-kelpie.jpg

Day the Sixth 6 Nov 2010
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2010/301541-samandjahz.jpg
This is Sam and the lovely Jahzzy, who is my Hope's sister. It was Sam's birthday so I had to sketch them as they're such a lovely pair. They're agility nuts, a beautiful team to watch running and together they've put on her ADM, JDM, ADO, JDO, SD, GDX, SPDX, MAAD5, AAC, IAD, AJD, AAGD2, GD, SD titles.

Both ink on presketched pencilwork. Obviously I have a LOT of work to do before my faces are passable. I was overlaying my plastic sketching grid every 3 seconds to check proportions so I'm okay with that but I couldn't figure out how to indicate shape and form with pen without making her look either way too young or too old. ARGH!!! :headdesk:

Elain
11-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Gorgeous dogs and cat.

My favourite is the dog in what looks like the director's chair :) That fur is amazing.
Wow a 0.005 and i thought my 0.05 was about the finest you could get. I'll be looking out for one of those.

JTMB
11-08-2010, 07:01 PM
More great animal portraits (and the human half of the agility team - :) )! Being a dog person, I gravitate toward those but the cat is well done as well and very interestingly marked.

RainySea
11-08-2010, 07:07 PM
wonderful animal drawings. Jasper looks like a big kitty? Love his coloring and face. Wonderful drawing of the girl with her dog, too.

Oh, and I have bull terriers and miniature bull terriers

DrDebby
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
More great sketches. As with anything, drawing people accurately is a matter of practice. You are doing great.

WYSIWYG
11-10-2010, 09:09 PM
The dog in the 'director' chair is actually in a folding camping chair. *G* You'd be hard pressed to go to a dog show or trial here, toss a coin in any direction and not hit one! LOL

Jasper is a big kitty - it'd work out to about 17lbs I think? :D Purebred NFC's can hit 23lbs. The markings are called 'classic tabby' where the stripes are broad and appear in whorls vs the more familiar 'mackrel' (thin stripes) tabby. Aw, I love bull terriers! They have the funniest characters and are such show offs in the ring! LOL Congrats on your results!

Here's the newest lot:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2010/301541-huntsketch.jpg
I wanted to do one of the scavanger hunts but found the 'from life' a bit hard with sick bebe pinning me down. (Literally!) LOL So I changed it to suit - my rules were as a google hunt. My rules (self made!) were: exact phrase entered into google, the number of the item corresponded with the page I took the image from (ie item #2 was selected from page 2 of results), all drawn direct with no preliminary sketching and each on a 2 minute timer.
They are
1.) pholiota mushrooms
2.) sunflower seed
3.) a single pistachio
4.) silver apple core pendant/necklace
5.) kiwi fruit slice (closest match it came up with!)
6.) wrapper - yep, it IS what you think it is! :lol:
7.) book/game character - it turned up a how to draw anime expressions thing
8.) light globe - these are outdoor 'moon ball' lights, look to be about soccer ball size?
9.) frozen - block of frozen crinkle cut carrots
10.) insect - grasshopper leg
11.) key - a gold jewelrey key - apprently jewish/hebrew "key of success"
12.) nib - pen nib
13.) button - how very 2010 - the only buttons it turned up were computer buttons!!!

Okay, back to my more usual stuff! My old Collie, Bria, who passed away in 2001. I still miss her every day and don't have many pictures of her. I will probably fill in the cushions and pillow later but I need a bigger marker for those areas and won't be able to get it this week.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2010/301541-BriaPen.jpg
And another attempt at a human. I think next sketchbook will have to be bigger size as I think I'd have an easier time indicating light and shape in an area bigger than a 10 cent piece...:rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2010/301541-LaHopePen.jpg

virgo68
11-11-2010, 12:29 AM
very nice work - I love this sketchbook!

Pen and ink is a harsh media for portraits I think - it quite difficult to indicate shading and form without it appearing heavy and hard. I like what you've done though - the last one is a cutie.

Chuckcamo
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
really good stuff, inking is something I want to try one day... you seem to have it down pretty good. :)

vhere
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
lovley picture of Bria

JTMB
11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
What a great drawing of Bria! Looks like she had a very hard life...:) . I understand that look, at least for a couple of my dogs. Translation for those who speak dog - 'Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to be on the couch, Dad, but I'm old and tired and...' And dad walks away, smiling. We had one rescue Black Lab who we got when she was 7. My wife's rule was no dogs on the bed or furniture, so I trained them that way and no problem. Lady (she came with that name - :lol: ) was perfectly obedient about that but when she was about 14, we found out that she would trundle up on the couch when we weren't around. We walked in on her once and I started to tell her to get off and my wife said, no, she's getting old and sore - let her stay up there. Lady lived to be 17 (!!! for a Lab), was a celebrity in the vet's office and our neighborhood, and had first claim on the couch from then on until she couldn't climb up on it anymore.

RainySea
11-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh, I love that sketch of Bria. . . old dogs are so very special. . . I have a twelve year old who I've had since 7 weeks and although graying and slowing down, she still shows the youngsters the ropes daily.

DrDebby
11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry about the sick bebe. Interesting set of rules and sketches. The dogs are just awesome. That's quite a cutie (human) in the last sketch.

WYSIWYG
11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm having fun with the ink. I know it can be harsh but I'm a bit inspired by some of the scratch-board stuff as I think some of the techniques could be adapted in reverse and I LOVE the effect scratchboard has!

Bria, the Collie in the prior post, actually did have a tough life prior to being rescued. She was pretty spoilt after she came home with me though and her old bones always had her pick of couches, beds etc. :lol: Seventeen is absolutely amazing for any dog but for bigger dogs it's astonishing! No wonder she had privileges!

This is Sierra, my oldest current girl, having run up to me to say 'hi ma!' in the midst of running around with the rest of my mob. Rest of the background will be blacked in next week when I get a bigger pen than 0.8!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2010/301541-sketch8mmonly.jpg
She's a mismark, which means half her face is white and the other half merle with copper. I got her after Bria passed away and we've always sworn Bria must've had a paw in her finding her way to me. She's 10 years old now - no one ever believes this after meeting her as she acts like a happy, hyper, manic nut of a pup... I've had to drag out her registration papers for club to prove I didn't mean "10 months"! :lol:

JTMB
11-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Great work with the ink! Sierra looks great and from your description, you've captured that 'slightly manic' look about her that I just love about dogs. I also understand people's disbelief at her age. My current dogs (a yellow Lab and a chocolate Lab) are 14 and 14 1/2 (years) respectively [we have had an amazing run with dog longevity, not sure what we're doing right but we use the same approach and food with each of them since it seems to be working so well]. My yellow, Bekka, although she has slowed down, is still amazingly energetic. The chocolate (CJ) has a torn ACL which has gone unrepaired since it isn't painful to him and he was too old to have surgery when it happened so he's the couch potato (actually dog pillow potato since these guys don't have couch privileges). :)

RainySea
11-13-2010, 01:09 PM
What a fun drawing. . . I can absolutely see her fun-loving puppy spirit and from that would also have thought her younger. GREAT smile, too. My oldest is almost thirteen. . . had her since she was 7 weeks old. She is slowing down now some, but still has a wonderful joie de vivre that I just love about dogs.

Beautiful work. I've never tried scratchboard but have seen some of the beautiful work others have done with it at the fair.

DrDebby
11-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh, that expression. You caught her beautifully.

vhere
11-14-2010, 06:26 AM
yes, great expression and the fur is really believable

Elain
11-14-2010, 02:29 PM
That's a drawing to make me smile. Great expression.

WYSIWYG
11-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Glad everyone liked it. It's a roughish quality but the dorky expression appealed to me. LOL

I've never tried scratchboard, doubt I'll be able to anytime soon due to cost - but I love the sensitivity of it. And it occured to me, that as pen/ink can be difficult/harsh with portraits maybe I could 'borrow' some technique from it to get similar sensitivity. In essence it seems to me scratchboard is removing the areas where light should be. Maybe then inking should be that in reverse - picturing the light and inking around those degrees of light. Dunno, just something I'm pondering.:lol:

I'm trying to finish up todays but don't know if I will given I've still got my velcro-child snuggled in my lap. :lol: Here's yesterdays that I didn't get a chance to post:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2010/301541-clovernap.jpg
Hopie curled up in a little ball, nose half buried in tail and bumfluff! Reminded me of a little fox napping and I liked the few clover poking out from under her nose. I did the pencil work, looked at it and went, "oh I think I like that, I'll just ink it as the outlines and keep it loose." And then I added 'just a bit more', blinked, had gone too far and had to do the rest. :p

seejay
11-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Four legs, two legs, all very nice drawings.:clap:

It's sad when an old dog goes (we have one getting old - one eye, arthritis, trying to make the most of time left with him).

vhere
11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
another lovely one

I haven't done scraper board in years and years but yes, how you describe. You can ink out mistakes to make it black again. But then you could scratch into an ink drawing to reveal white paper where lights are lost in a similar rescue.

JTMB
11-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I just love your dog drawings! Your love of and familiarity with canines shows through again and again in your drawing. In this particular pose, my chocolate Lab snores so loudly that it's amazing he stays asleep himself. :)

Joan T
11-15-2010, 07:41 PM
These are just super!!! You get the poses perfectly!! The way you're going you don't need scratchboard. I love these!

RainySea
11-15-2010, 08:29 PM
adorable and your hair texture and posed are so right on!

virgo68
11-15-2010, 08:53 PM
great work - I think you are great with the ink work.

DrDebby
11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Your ink work is beautiful. That's an adorable pose.

Chuckcamo
11-16-2010, 11:25 PM
very nice sketches, Sierra looks like a happy dog, you hair texture is great... :)

WYSIWYG
11-17-2010, 05:45 AM
I am slowly learning. :)

Here's the next:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2010/301541-ClownPrince.jpg
This is a little part-arab foal called The Clown Prince, the first horse I've drawn since I was about 13. I am sure I remember them being easier to draw at that age! :lol: This poor lad suffered a lot of erasing before he got ink and horsepeople will be able to pick flaws in muscles and legs but he came out better than I thought from his pencil state. All done in 0.8 unipen.

RainySea
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
He looks adorable. . . is he your baby? How awesome to live on a ranch/farm. I've always wanted to but living in a semi-rural area right now is a close as I've gotten so far. One of the things I look forward to when I retire in a few years.

He is just adorable and your penwork is excellent. You do BEAUTIFUL work.

sarales
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
He is beautiful!!

JTMB
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Yet another great job on the foal! I'm not a horse person, but live near and have seen a bunch, and this has everything I think about with foals...all muscle if a bit uncoordinated yet; gangly legs; perky, alert and curious. Well done.

seejay
11-17-2010, 06:41 PM
The foal looks horsey to me, another great addition to your sketchbook.

DrDebby
11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
He's absolutely adorable. And I love the name.

Elain
11-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Well you may not have drawn horses for a while but you have the movement and expression. Lovely work.

Drawing other animals doeskeep your eye in for looking at proportions.

WYSIWYG
11-18-2010, 10:19 AM
No, he's not my horse - I wish he were, gorgeous lad! We're only on a small property at the moment but I love having a bit of space. When I first moved to Aus, I was in Hawthorn which is a suburb close to the city, very posh, lots of money and mansions. I hated it! :lol:

Thanks Elain, I was trying to keep his movement light and airy. You're right - it's definitely a challenge and educating tot he eye to draw new animals. The dogs I can do (relatively!) quickly but everything else is 3-4x longer to sketch with a LOT more erasing and constantly flicking back to the reference to measure and compare proportions and angle!

Well... from the dainty and elegant to erm... the decidedly NOT!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2010/301541-bb.jpg
This is "BB", a 7 year old Angus bull belonging to my neighbor. He's absolutely massive and his muscles just ripple like you wouldn't believe. The name alternately stands for Big Boy or Bloody Bull depending on if he's behaving, belowing (usually at 3am, hence the second meaning to his name!) or hopping fences to find girls he's not supposed to have. I can attest walking out onto your deck to let dogs out first thing in the morning and coming nose to nose with this fella will wake you up faster than a whole pot of greek coffee! :eek: :lol:

ETA: ink obviously, done in 0.8 uniPen as my darling daughter has stashed my 005 somewhere!

RainySea
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Now that WOULD be a wake up to come face to face with this guy for sure! Lovely drawing. I really like your penmanship and shading.

I think I'm a bit the opposite with dogs vs other stuff. . . unless I'm just doodling, of course. But in general, I tend to take way more time trying to get dogs just right than I do with other subjects.

Lovely work. I didn't realize you were in Australia. . . beautiful there from the photos I have seen. Have not been luck enough to visit so far. Maybe one day.

JTMB
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Ahhh, he just looks like a big, lovable, wanna-be-lap-dog to me...! :) Well done! You have a wide range of animals in your repertoire.

Dougwas
11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for sharing these wonderful animal drawings. I can't imagine doing all these drawings in pen. It's graphite (and eraser:D ) for me. Your love for animals comes through in your drawings.

Doug

Elain
11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Awesome bull. You've caught his massiveness and bulk with the way you've done the shading.

I hope you don't have too many wake-up calls like that. What on earth did your dogs think!

sarales
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
This is wonderful, wysiwig!! It's amazing to me that you do it all in pen. Wow- I wouldn't have the patience (or the skill!)

vhere
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
huge! and you've caught it

Joan T
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Great job on the foal and the muscles in that last creature!!

WYSIWYG
11-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I'll let everyone in on the "secret" to the 'shading'... it's not technique or skill! It's bog ordinary crosshatching with a tiny bit of stipling... with a pen that's low on ink and draws scratchy tiny lines that read 'grey' instead of a single black 0.8 line. :D

Rainy, I think the reason the dogs are quicker/easier is that I'm better versed in their anatomy. When I look at the reference I understand what I'm looking at and avoid having to draw 1mm at a time, adjust everything 20x and then once the basic outline is done, decipher all the bones and muscles while inking. IE Looking at BB today, I could improve on the structure of the back to make it look properly broad, need to bring the shadow on the viewers right bumcheek further right as I've made his thigh look shallow and the pinbone (?I think that's the term...) bit is NQR.

Yep, I'm in Aus, moved from Michigan about 7 yrs back. If anyone gets the chance definitely put Australia on your vacation spots list! It's not to be missed! :)

The dogs were very good - their training is only on sheep, so in the interest of my house being not being smushed I told them to drop and opted for a phonecall to the neighbor to come fetch him! LOL I'm sure the dogs thought it was the weirdest down-stay proofing exercise ever!

John, howzabout you give him a cuddle and I videotape? We'll split the winnings from Funniest Home Video after you're out of traction... ;p

JTMB
11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: .

No thanks! They can keep the prize money on Funniest Home Videos...!

I have a fun story regarding bulls, since you're an animal person. A guy I know through music is, in addition to fronting a well-known band part-time, is known country-wide for his horse training as well. A few years back, he moved to a ranch in the middle of nowhere in Colorado. One of his neighbors came around, introduced himself and said he had heard he was a horseman and would he be willing to help drive a couple bulls out to the back forty where the cow herd was (it was coming into breeding season). The guy said well, sure, but a cowboy he wasn't (he did a different type of horse training). So they arranged to meet early the next morning. My friend showed up on his horse and the neighboring rancher showed up on a 4 wheel ATV, which kinda made him feel like he'd been snookered. But in any event, they went and got the bulls and headed down the ranch road.

Apparently the bulls knew where they were going because my friend said it was pretty much just riding along behind them as they ambled down the road. Eventually, they crested a hill and there was the herd of cows. At this point, my friend said his experience with stallions was that the stallions would commence to trying to kill each other fighting over the mares, so he didn't know what to expect with the bulls. He said the two bulls just looked each other, ambled down the hill to the cows, split the herd almost perfectly in half and one turned left and one turned right. No problem!

:)

Chuckcamo
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
great drawings... your ink cross hatching captures the contours and shading really well... :)

DrDebby
11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Awesome bull. Great story about the dogs.

WYSIWYG
11-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Haha got to love it! The bulls in the neighbors are usually fairly good natured in all fairness, albeit I'd never turn my back on them just for the damage they could do if inclined.

Todays... barely got time to sketch - most was done at the doctors office inbetween the kids wanting attention. This is a little Welcome Swallow (http://www.ozanimals.com/Bird/Welcome-Swallow/Hirundo/neoxena.html) (Hirundo neoxena) baby that's hatched in our woodshed and is just starting to feather up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2010/301541-welcomeswallowbaby.jpg
The nest is made of mud with tiny bits of grass and lined with bits of dog fluff (LOL) and feathers. As adults they're a beautiful metalic blue-grey on the top, pale grey on the bottom and rufus on the forehead/neck/breast but at this stage they're all grumpy expression and mile wide beak. :lol:

ETA: my usual ink, with the watercolour pencils and a smidge of acrylic paint. One of these years I WILL remember to note that the first time I post! :o

RainySea
11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
OH. .. that is SOOOO cute. I love that one. . . his little face is so perfect. He is just adorable. Love, love that one!

JTMB
11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow! Spectacular sketch of the baby swallow! You sure got the 'I haven't quite figured out what life is all about yet...' look on its face.

vhere
11-19-2010, 01:21 PM
gorgeous baby swallow

sarales
11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh, what a precious baby swallow! I love that!

Elain
11-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh. I echo Leslie. Precious indeed. Really eye-catching.

Dougwas
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
You nailed that grumpy expression. I love those feathers. The swallows have an interesting mix of building materials.

Doug

DrDebby
11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
So adorable. You caught the rumple feathers and grumpy expression so accurately.

WYSIWYG
11-20-2010, 02:57 AM
LOL Glad you guys like the little birdie.

Another bird today - I'm on a kick, as I've gotten some nice shots of various birds in the yard. This is a bit less of a serious sketch though, messing around.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2010/301541-swan.jpg
Because of how dramatic the colours are on him, I was less focused on realism and more just mucking around with doing the light and darks in chunks. Materials: 0.8 ink, some WC pencil, dab of acrylic and some ballpoint pen. Plus a lip smudge from my daughter who wanted to give birdie a kiss.;)
This is the source photo, taken by me awhile back for anyone interested:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2010/301541-SwanRBGEaster05.jpg Australian black swans (Cygnus atratus) are about 15-20lbs with wingspans that can be over 6 foot. I'd come up on this one while he was browsing (hence the water on his head) and he was coming up to me and fluffing feathers. Most people assume the swan is being 'friendly' because they're such 'gentle' birds but it's actually a warning display intended to remind me who owned that bit of pond. :lol: They can be right narky as more than one tourist wanting to pat them has found.:rolleyes:

sarales
11-20-2010, 09:10 AM
He's a beauty, and your "sketch" is wonderful!

Dougwas
11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
He doesn't look too happy with you. Great job on those ruffled feathers.

Doug

RainySea
11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I think its a wonderful drawing. . . love the red beak and eyes. Neat photo. I've never seen a swan with that coloring. Really lovely bird.

seejay
11-20-2010, 09:00 PM
More beautiful drawings, maybe the swallow is my fav. (because he is less threatening:D) :clap:

Those swans need to be watched for sure - I had to beat a hasty retreat one day in the swamp when one of these lovely creatures hopped out of the water up onto the bank where I was, stood up tall and looked me in right the eyes! I was busy looking at something I was sketching, I looked around and almost shat myself. Yikes.

JTMB
11-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Nice job on the swan -a species we don't have over here. Yes, both swans and geese can be very intimidating - they're big enough to pack some wallop. Supposedly the Chinese use flocks of geese as 'sentries' at military bases, because they make an incredible ruckus when someone comes into their territory.

Chuckcamo
11-21-2010, 12:31 AM
very nice bird sketches... :)

DrDebby
11-21-2010, 04:50 AM
That black swan is marvelous.

vhere
11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
great :)

virgo68
11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Great drawings and great stories :lol:

I think the baby swallow is the favourite but I love all your ink work and the swan's beak is a great splash of colour - I'd love to sit down with your sketchbook and study it!

WYSIWYG
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I can well believe the Chinese use geese as sentries. I've kept Chinese Browns and Embden and they are nosey, noisey and not fond of strangers! But with their 'family' they're different entirely. My daughter was born at home and everytime I said, "oh!" during her labor my geese - who were standing at the window - answered back with a volley of honks as encouragement. She was out with me the next day and they were so gentle checking her out that she never even stirred. :)

Jackie, not sure how much you'd learn from looking at my journal! :o I'm too busy learning from everyone here! :lol:

Well... having just said I'd be doing birds I was inspired to sketch my youngest bunny. This is Nilla who is a magpie (white with blk & grey marbling) marked bun whose favorite activities include racing around and bouncing off furniture at warp speeds, chinning everything (it's MINE, all mine bwhaha!) and quietly sneaking close enough to suddenly jump in your lap and steal fruit. :smug:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2010/301541-nillaWC.jpg
You can't see it in the above pic but I actually like the way the eye and eyelashes came out!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2010/301541-nillaeyedetail.jpg

WC pencils of course but the paper is from a new journal! The paper was cream, textured and as it's a bit heavier I thought it'd hold up better to WC pencil. Still crinkled and was going to rip if I used a brush that was more than barely damp though, ah well! This one for December, then January I'll get a proper watercolour one! Working with limited colours as well, as I found half my pencils were poor lightfastness ratings. So no pinks, magentas, purples or oranges etc. :eek: A single black, white, grey, red and yellow, 3 ea blues and greens and thankfully most of my browns.

RainySea
11-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Aw, what an adorable fellow. . . do your dogs get along with bunnies? Sounds like this one comes inside so just wondered. That eye IS wonderfully done. But then the whole painting is very nice. I love the pose, the fur looks so soft and the plants behind are also well done.

Sorry about the crimpled paper, I am having that same issue this last part of the month working in a book that is not really for wc. I'm actually finding it a little freeing as I am not worrying so much about them coming out well all the time since I know they won't be perfect because the paper will crinkle :) Not that anything I paint is ever perfect, but you know what I mean :o

How did you discover some of your pencils are not lightfast? What brand are they? The bunnies ears look pink in this - did you use a weak red? That is how I make pink in my wc as I don't have a pink

vhere
11-22-2010, 01:23 PM
that's a really lovely rabbit - very natural and typical - great observation :)

JTMB
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Very nice rabbit! The eye and lashes do look great. They make a ton of difference with critters as well as people.

WYSIWYG
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Cinna, Romeo and Nilla are all full time house-bunnies. Of the dogs, two are fine, two aren't so the buns have their own bedroom where they have free roam and in the morning and evening when the dogs are in the dog's room they run everywhere. They're litterbox trained of course. :) In Australia keeping buns outside runs risk of contracting calici virus and myxomatosis which are transmitted by mosquitos or fleas and are 100% fatal. As well as feral cats, foxes, wedge tail eagles and other birds of prey. So mine only go out occasionally on harness when there's no bugs active. I just didn't draw the harness in! ;)

Yeah, I do know what you mean. I was surprised how quick this started coming apart though - quicker than the 90gsm notebook I've been working in! Re: the lightfastness, I found the chart on the Derwent site, took the ones they rated poorly out of my bunch and did the very scientific test of chucking them in the sun for a week alongside scribbles from high rated ones.

For the pink in the buns ears I went over it first with chinese white, then laid on the faintest amount of deep vermillion with tiny amonts of kingfisher blue and prussian blue or raw sienna and bronze in areas the pink needed to be more purple or yellow/orangeish tinged, with some gunmetal to grey things out in areas.

virgo68
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Nilla is gorgeous! You certainly have a way with drawing and painting animals ;) Having experienced three bunnies now myself I know how funny and what characters they can be :lol:

I had a moment of panic when you mentioned the lightfastness - I have sold paintings done with watercolour pencils and never given a thought to lightfastness eek! Just hope anyone with my work does not hang it in bright or direct sunlight.......

WYSIWYG
11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I hadn't thought of the lightfastness thing much either but I fell in LOVE with the graphitints and decided to google them for shops/prices. Among the results were reviews like these http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathy-johnson/2690752098/ where it was in a closed journal and http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/2008/10/derwent-graphit.html which made me think of looking up and testing my own. Even if they're 'just' sketch journals I don't want to put my time and effort into something that's not going to last awhile. We have journals, paintings, sketches, preliminary studies etc from my MIL's godmother and other French artists circa 1890's-1930's and some later pieces of MIL as a child in wartime France. I love the idea of my kids having something to look at and pass on like that.

DrDebby
11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Lovely bunny portrait. The pose is just great. You have every right to be proud of that eye and lashes. Very well done indeed.

seejay
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
That's a cute little wabbit, or where I live, a cute little declared pest!:D

Lucky you can have them, they look like great pets.

Cheers

JTMB
11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Since I've started to use Graphitints (and have used Inktense also) I'm concerned about the lightfastness tests. What is confusing to me, however, is that Derwent's website shows good lightfastness for most (not all) of the Graphitint's 24 colors. They use the 0 to 8 'Blue Wool Scale' test, which is a historical one that has been used for many years. 0 is terrible lightfastness, 8 is no change over 3 months of simulated direct strong sunlight (which is a very strenuous test - I worked for a few years on the commercial graphics area, and direct exposure to sunlight destroys almost any color in fairly short order). Seventeen of the 24 colors in the Graphitint line are rated by Derwent as either a 7 or an 8. Two colors are rated 6. In the info I looked up, 6 is considered the minimum lightfastness rating for limited edition prints. So 19 of the 24 colors measure up to that standard per Derwent. So I don't understand why the tests you referenced by artists came up so poor while Derwent is claiming good results. Hmmmm...

The Inktense info on Derwent's website does indicate marginal lightfastness for a lot of the colors. This makes sense because Derwent is ink, ink is liquid and liquid colors (dyes) are generally a lot less lightfast than pigment-based products (pigments are solids). Of the 72 Inktense colors, a quick check of their own info indicates that at 30 are rated 5 or less.

So on the Graphitints, either Derwent overstates their lightfastness (one would hope that is not true), or the reviews you found are incorrect for some reason, or the product has been upgraded since the reviews were done. One possibility, theoretically anyway, is that the reviews referenced just happened to use the Graphitints that are only 3, 4, or 5 rated.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a good topic. Lightfastness is important.

WYSIWYG
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah that confused me too... they do appear to have a satisfactory lightfastness per the website for most. :confused:

If it were one or two people who had issues and a million saying theirs are fine... well, maybe there was a bad batch and a QC issue. When you've got a few folks over a period of time, when they appear to be using decent quality papers and storage that makes me feel cautious despite loving the effect. I just don't have $30+ to throw away finding out they don't like Australian cool temperate rainforests. :lol:

While the examples posted weren't be all and end all or scientific in any way, it seems the ones like 01 Port (BW4) and 02 Juniper (BW3) fading would make sense but 10 Meadow, 12 sage, 14 russet and 17 autumn brown are vanished and rated at BW7? Odd.

Perhaps they react differently to different areas and humidity? Or perhaps they have changed their formula to improve it and the current lightfastness rating reflects the improvements? I think I may write them to query.

Chuckcamo
11-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey I learn something new every week here:) I had no clue they did sun light tests on WC pencils.... I just looked at a Derwent Watercolor Pencil Lightfast Color Chart... it's weird to see them all rated differently?

Like your rabbit Nilla, the detail on the eyelashes look great!

virgo68
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
GAH! How awful for the graphitints to fade so quick in a closed book!!!

I will only be using them for sketching - thankfully I have not used them for work that has been sold :eek: I have, however, sold work done with FaberCastell Albrecht Durer and Derwent wc pencils and aquatones. I do hope they hold up OK.

Thanks so much for adding the link to your thread - I had no idea they had the potential to fade so much....

RainySea
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
That is sad that they would fade in closed book. . . had not thought about how the kids might one day want to look at my old sketch books maybe. Or maybe now

WYSIWYG
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Hm, not sure what happened - I posted yesterdays last night and it's disappeared?!? The fairies and elves must be playing tricks! :lol:

We've all had a bug so feeling pretty slack and went with a bog standard side view that didn't require much (or any... considering how spacey I was post medication) concentration. Only remotely tricky thing was that the closer eye is blue with brown marbling and flecks irl which can look 'odd' translated to B&W. With a .005 inkpen, because I couldn't be bothered tracking down my bigger one. LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2010/301541-takingiteasy.jpg

I've been thinking... does anyone know the WC policy on posting work you own (ie the journals, paintings, sketches etc) but didn't do yourself? The artists in question are passed away, they'd have been working late 1800's-1930/40's. It's some really interesting stuff, painted/drawn in France. I've always thought it deserves to be shared. I'd toyed with the idea of contacting a museum and we contacted an art expert at one point and were told that due to sheer number and the hours required we'd be looking at multiple thousands of dollars to catalogue it privately. Dunno, something that's played on my mind especially with our bushfires last year.

sarales
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
cool idea, wysiwig. I hope you can post them- I'd love to see them!

DrDebby
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Cute dog.

I don't know the answer to your question. Are the artworks something you bought or are they your inheritance? If they are your inheritance, you own the copyright as an heir.

WYSIWYG
11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
No, none of them were bought however, while inherited we are not direct blood relations of any of the artists either.

Some were given to my husbands grandfather as he was friends and students of some artists of the time over there. He was involved in high fashion, working at times for Yves St Laurent and Rochas in the early years, later having his own fashion house first in Dives sur Mer, St Lo and later Paris before coming here to design for Bazaar. They mixed with a lot of arty sorts at the time as DH's grandfather dabbled in art. I don't know much about the artists beyond that as by the time I met his grandfather he was 98. We inherited them when he passed.

The Mania Mavro's came to us when my MIL passed. She was my MIL's godmother, a Ukrainian born woman who came to Paris in her younger years along with other artists from the reigon. She apparently taught art at university at some point. MIL's middle name was after her actually. She gave heaps of works to the family over the years - some are actually portraits of them and some I think came to the family as gifts of her estate after her passing. When my husbands family move to Australia from France in the 70's they brought everything with them. Some were exhibited in France, primarily in Paris - they've the marks and we've a few of the catalogues. One pair were commissioned portraits of a young jewish girl whose family never picked them up. Many are smaller works not intended to be sold I suspect - maybe demos for students, studies intended for larger scale paintings or just personal practice. (They're unsigned and all of her exhibited/intended for sale stuff was signed very visibly.) Various surfaces, sizes, subjects and mediums.

RainySea
11-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Beautiful dog drawing. . . you always get the fur so perfect and the turn of the head and the regal bearing.

Those works sound so cool!
Here is the info you might need/want about copyright on works created prior to 1978.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html#303

WYSIWYG
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Having a pretty subject helps! :thumbsup:

Hm looking at the copyright law I think I realize why I am not a lawyer! :eek: I think, maybe, it looks like I'm good? I think... :lol:

I decided to go with simple again. This is a crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans). We're in a cool temperate rainforest and get heaps of them. This fellow was in my garden, nibbling on the seeds and flowers and swinging up, down and all around on THE most rediculously spindly bit of weedy stalk it could have chose to reach them. I got several shots but I liked this one for the scallops on the back and different position.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2010/301541-rosella.jpg
WC pencil in the second journal. I like the texture and creamy colour of the paper but the binding is like a books. Not keen on that after the nice style spiral/hardbound combo of binding on my other. Any recomendations for journals with the heavier watercolour okay paper and that type of binding anyone?

RainySea
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Beautiful bird. . . does not look so simple with all that pattern and great feather textures.

You know, I just realized that you are maybe not in the US and so my link is maybe wrong for you. . . I have this stupid tendency to think that everyone lives in US. Guess I'm not good at thinking outside to box. :( Sorry.

Strathmore has some new Visual Journals out that come in LOTS of different sizes and paper. They have WC in both 90 lb and 140lb and they also have a multimedia one with a smoother like hot press wc type paper. The covers in the ad look paper, but that is just a flysheet. Under that is a nice brown textured hard cover. I quite like them. Can post a pict w/o cover sheet if you want. Most of the online stores seem to have them on sale for real good prices right now since they are new. Just one thought.

BTW. . . the one I am using now is NOT one of those. . . its a proart sketch no meant for wc that I am trying to finish up. I"m starting one of my new visual journals next month.

JTMB
11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Great job on the bird! However, I am rather jealous of anyone who has garden birds that look like that...! Most of ours are referred to as LBB's (little brown birds). :)

virgo68
11-24-2010, 07:50 PM
The crimson rosella is lovely - they can be quite determined to get to what they want!

My celtic sketchbook is a hard cover bound like a book type - it opens quite flat though so it is easy enough to use. The paper in mine does not stand up well to washes - it was quite cheap - so I think all sketchbooks have to be taken on their own individual merits. I like the "book binding" though - it made it seem more suited to a "subject" study rather than random quick sketches, and a bit more "special". I know some of the others in the forum don't like that type though ;)

Chuckcamo
11-25-2010, 12:12 AM
your dog looks great, and I like the angle on that bird...:thumbsup:

DrDebby
11-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Great bird sketch.

My solution for a sketchbook was to make my own. :wink2:

Sounds like you have quite a legacy there. I can't help you with international copyright laws. Sounds like you have the right to show them since you own them through an inheritance, even though you were not blood related. But, I'm not a lawyer, don't quote me on that. :lol:

WYSIWYG
11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Rainy, it actually is really simple, it's one thing I'm impressed with when using WC pencils. The water does most of the work in creating an illusion of a more complex texture and depth than was drawn in.

I'll have to have a look for those journals. I'll get a pic tomorrow of the binding on mine. It's odd to describe - spiral but has a wrap around cover so it looks hardbound when it's on the shelf, lays flat and you can flip the cover back out of the way when working. The paper is perforated too. In every respect but the weight of the paper it'd be my ideal, I also like the idea of making my own, may have to try that too!

Well... I'm not really legal minded but I think I should be all right to post though. :)

John I'm originally from the US and I have to admit after 7+ years I am still a giant tourist. We have an amazing variety, especially in the Dandenong ranges with an acre of our property being an 80 year old rhododendron garden. ;)

Well todays was a lesson in "when to stop". *le sigh*
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2010/301541-whentostop.jpg
It started out as a nice pencil sketch, evolved into a simple pen sketch. I started adding detail where Nilla has black markings on her face... annnnd it had that heartflop moment of "crap, too much." :rolleyes: So I tossed more at it because I couldn't leave it so ugly. And then acrylic paint to fix that. And then wc pencil background to fix that... the sloppy brushwork shows about how enthusiastic I was at this point. And then stopped as the only sensible thing to add would have been a good coat of gesso over the whole mess! I forsee exercises in simpleness and "not everything needs gobs of detail" in my future...:rolleyes:

Davkin
11-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Wow, lots of great stuff in this sketchbook. Sorry I don't comment more often.

David

DrDebby
11-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Now, now, while you may think it's too much and messed up, there are some good elements here. The rough background is actually quite lovely and makes the bunny pop. The pose of the rabbit is really good. Most of the fur texture reads true, fluffy and soft. And, it being a learning experience is ok too. Turn the page and draw again.

Joan T
11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Just lovin' your book!!!!

Joan T
11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Just lovin' your book!!!!

seejay
11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
You are still going strong - the messy rabbit is fine, covering it with gesso would have been going to far.:clap:

RainySea
11-26-2010, 01:43 AM
I still like the bunny! I can see what you mean that it may have been even more nice at some past stage, but I don't think its messed up, still a very cute bunny with a cute pose.

Elain
11-26-2010, 03:53 AM
great Dog.

The Rosella doesn't look simple. Great detail and you have really captured the 3D with your shading.

I love the little bunny,

WYSIWYG
11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I guess I'm just disappointed because I know I can do better and I know that adding too much detail is a point I need to improve on. Poor Nilla, she really is a pretty bun in real life! :lol:

More buns, playing with moving toward 'believeable simplicity'. I'm limiting myself to 5-10 minutes for the next few days I think to ensure there's a "cut off limit". *G*
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2010/301541-bunkitten.jpg
A young kitten (not a typo, that's what a baby rabbit is called) about 6-7 weeks old that's in our local bunny rescue atm. He was half asleep, eyes nearly shut and ears relaxed back while sprawled out in the sunshine on the floor! Pencil - HB, 2B, 6B
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2010/301541-bunsjournal.jpg
Two-fer-one... a simple sketch (under 5 mins) of two young fluffy dwarf lops. They must've had something longer haired in their ancestry a few generations back. Mostly done to show the journal binding. Also pencil, 4B.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2010/301541-journalbinding.jpg
And just to show it closed - part spiral bound, part 'book cover' look when on the shelf but it lays totally flat and even flips back on itself which is how I hold it when drawing.

DrDebby
11-26-2010, 08:36 PM
More wonderful little bunnies. Very cute. Nice sketchbook. I like the binding.

Chuckcamo
11-27-2010, 01:14 AM
the bunny sketches look great, I like your quick sketches. :thumbsup:

JTMB
11-27-2010, 03:10 AM
You have such wonderful skills drawing animals, and the bunnies in particular are really well done.

WYSIWYG
11-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Two today...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2010/301541-cinnagraphit.jpg
A pair of quick poses of Cinnamon the Cinnabun - washing her whiskers and being a sticky-beak streeetccchinng up trying to see what I was up to. (And if there was the possibility of taste testing a pencil...:p) About 20mins, HB and 4B
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2010/301541-bungrapblue.jpg
Random rabbit sketch, about 15 minutes with a bit of blue WC pencil. (playing with seeing if I can get a kind of graphitint effect... obviously not there yet!) HB, 2B, 4B, 8B
And the reason I gave myself the longer time - I'd started sketching when my daughter wanted to snuggle. So I kept going as she wasn't fidgiting too much and eventually my DH pointed out she was sound asleep. :lol: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2010/301541-sneakingtime.jpg

JTMB
11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
More nice rabbit sketches! They do make really good subjects. Great picture of you and your daughter - I guess this means she's officially your muse!

artyczar
11-27-2010, 04:14 PM
ABSOLUTELY amazing! I'm blown away. And it's so cool to see MY dog in some of these (I have a border collie)... I think my fav though is the black and white bunnie with the green background, but they all are so amazing.

I knew if I posted my book pages and then looked at what others posted I'd regret it. LOL!

vhere
11-27-2010, 08:45 PM
great rabbits :)

Why not make your own sketchbook up? Cut the pages out of papers you like and then have then wirebound at a copy shop? (they do that at our local copy shop - the nasty plastic or the good wire binding) It's really cheap to have it done.

I've done it with finished work (digital images) but not to make my own sketchbook up - though I keep meaning to try it.

sarales
11-27-2010, 08:54 PM
All these bunnies are wonderful!!! What a precious picture of you and your daughter. :)

virgo68
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
The bunnies are gorgeous and what a beautiful photo with your daughter. How the heck do you sketch with a child on your lap?!! I have trouble drawing when I seemingly have the "perfect" set up...... :lol: !!

seejay
11-27-2010, 10:44 PM
More nice bunny sketches, and with your arms full! :clap:

DrDebby
11-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Now that's dedication to draw with a sleeping child in your lap. The bunnies are just marvelous.

RainySea
11-28-2010, 01:51 AM
wonderful bunnies. . . I love the one of him cleaning his face, that is so very adorable! Love the pict, too :)

eyepaint
12-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Love all the aminals in your thread (typo intended). The poor bun who's cute IRL, and the curious duck/goose guy are my top pics, though I'm a softee for all the doggies :) :) :)

WYSIWYG
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Seems the lurgey just loves us! LOL Sorry for the disappearing act again. TBH most of my stuff is sketched with a kid in my lap, sitting squished up with me watching (and 'helping') or in the car. It's the only way I get any time at all! LOL Here are the last few from the previous month - mostly quickies working to a timer, finally got time to photograph and upload them today.

"Romeo". He's a lop whose ears didn't properly flop - the uppy ear is a mood indicator. At this pose it's the equivalent of "Hm, it's probably not worth moving from a perfectly good nap spot to investigate at the moment but don't think I'm not not aware you're moving towards the fridge!" 5 minute, sketch from photo, pen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2010/301541-novjournalromeo.jpg
Cinnamon the Cinnabun, 5 minute pencil sketch from photo. The scrawl on the right side is my daughter Lily' addition, after which I added the "times are hard for dreamers" a bit tongue in cheek. :p
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2010/301541-novjournalquote.jpg
Sierra sleeping at my feet - 5 mins (didn't use the whole 5) like the others but from life. Wow... um, obviously my from life skills need a LOT of work.:o The angle was looking straight down from the computer chair which felt really odd! :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2010/301541-novjournal5minsi.jpg
Another 5 minute of Sierra (did use the whole time) from life, after scooting her back a bit so I could see her better. Naturally she decided to run and whimper in dream here! :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2010/301541-novjournalsisnooze.jpg
And as a reward for having been 'good' and done the quickies without fiddling *G* a somewhat more detailed/no time limit one of Lily.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2010/301541-novjournallily.jpg
It's not an exact likeness - the nose particularly, which was erased and reattempted no less than 11x before I went with 'close enough' - but it's not so horribly off she'd be unrecognizable... I think. :lol:

DrDebby
12-02-2010, 11:50 PM
These are wonderful! The bunnies, the dog and your daughter. I still think you are a most dedicated artist to draw with the little one in your space.

sarales
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Wow, Wysiwyg. These are just amazing!! I love them- you are so gifted with the ability to draw figures so accurately!

sarales
12-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Well, I say that, but it's probably a combination of giftedness, observation, lots of hard work and dedication!

JTMB
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
What a great group of sketches! Amazing considering how quickly you did them.

seejay
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Very nice! :clap:

virgo68
12-03-2010, 05:35 AM
Another lovely group of sketches......... very nicely done!

Artlike
12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Wysiwyg..................:clap: I went thru your entire post....so great! I loved them all!

Ed

Elain
12-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Such great sketches in such a short time frame. Those bunnies are adorable and lovely photo of you with your 'muse'.

Chuckcamo
12-04-2010, 12:32 AM
those 5 minute sketches look great:)