GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: giraffes (WIP)
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14*18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first attempt at wildlife art. The photo of the painting has a bit of blur.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
There's a close up tree on the left. I'm wondering if I should keep it or replace it with background. Any other suggestions or comments are welcome too.

jerryW
12-08-2002, 08:33 PM
I wonder if any of your friends at work have noticed a change in you.

Lorijo
12-08-2002, 09:11 PM
I would get rid of the tree, the giraffes look cool so far, are you going to give the one on the left another leg? The giraffe on the left head looks a bit small, unless thats from the blur. I would like to see them in focus! :cat: Lorijo

jerryW
12-09-2002, 12:00 AM
my odd comment refers to consistent high quality, I mean wayyy up there. just wondering if it is spilling over into other parts of your life.
this piece is impeccable.

mcknight
12-09-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Lorijo
I would get rid of the tree, the giraffes look cool so far, are you going to give the one on the left another leg? The giraffe on the left head looks a bit small, unless thats from the blur. I would like to see them in focus! :cat: Lorijo

Thanks for the comments, Lorijo.

About the leg, in my reference photo, the left leg is exactly behind the right so it can't be seen. Do you think I should make it visible?

My wife made the same comment about the small head. The male giraffe's head looks smaller because it's actually facing slightly away from the viewer. Hopefully that will become apparent after adding more tone and detail to it.

After three trips between the basement, where the canvas resides, and the 2nd floor, where my computer resides, I resigned to this fuzzy photo. I should be in great shape by the time I post the finished piece :)

Dave

mcknight
12-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
my odd comment refers to consistent high quality, I mean wayyy up there. just wondering if it is spilling over into other parts of your life.
this piece is impeccable.

Thanks again, Jerry! Yes, I've been highly focused in a few areas of my life lately. I'm not sure what keeps me going but I'm doing my best to ride the wave.

Dave

Alan Cross
12-09-2002, 12:54 AM
Good job but my vote is to lose the tree......
Alan :)

taghera
12-09-2002, 01:06 AM
Good one...gotta agree about the tree though...:)

Lorijo
12-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I still think he needs another leg! Boy, that would about kill me, running up and down from the computer to the basement! One way to get exercise painting anyhow! Lorijo:)

giniaad
12-09-2002, 11:14 AM
you don't post often enough...
loveing this...
works with or without the tree...

great colors and comp
like you are there feel

sunny day nice!

mcknight
12-09-2002, 04:51 PM
Alan & taghera, thanks for your comments. Due to popular demand, the tree will be chopped.

The bad photos are the result an unstable camera. Maybe I should ask for a tripod for Christmas...

Thanks giniaad, I appreciate it :)

Dave