PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastel challenge - November 2010

paul444
11-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Hello everyone and welcome to November's oil pastel challenge.
All the photos are mine so there will be no copyright issues.
Feel free to crop, modify or mix the images.
I hope there is at least one image to tempt you this month.

Only two rules this month,

1. Enjoy yourself

2. Enjoy yourself.

A part of my mother in laws garden.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-garden_wc.jpg

Some local wildlife on the Island of South Georgia.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-penguins_wc.jpg

Sunset on a Spanish beach.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-sunset.jpg

A bridge layer at work on exercise in Canada.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-bridge_layer_wc.jpg

My daughter ( in yellow top ) preparing to windsurf.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-wind_surfing.jpg

And to finish something red... this is the MS Society Explorer leaving the Island of South Georgia. She later sank when she struck an unidentified submerged object on November 23, 2007. Thankfully no one was lost.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2010/82968-MS_society_explorer_wc.jpg

I hope you like the images and look forward to seeing your interpretations.

RainySea
11-01-2010, 08:21 AM
wow, some diverse and interesting places . . . !!

Pat Isaac
11-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks, for the images, Paul. They are wonderful. A great array of subjects.

Pat

halthepainter
11-01-2010, 09:28 AM
That's quite a variety Paul.

paul444
11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the comments so far, I tried to choose as many different subjects as I could to try to appeal to as many people as possible.

oldrockchick
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh wow!!!! so many loveluy images to choose from. I'm glad Pat has given up on here 'only 3 images' rule. I love having more choice.

I love the garden and the sunset. I'll do one for sure maybe 2 or 3 if I have time.

robertsloan2
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow, these are a great variety of subjects! Thanks for some gorgeous photos. I'll try to do at least one this month.

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-01-2010, 10:25 PM
O_O PENGUINS!!!! Dang it, and every time I attempt a challenge, I throw it away!

paul444
11-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Hi Lin, looking forward to seeing which one you do. Its great having more choice, its easier for the host too.
Robert , I hope you can , your work is always appreciated.
Hi Crystal, I hope you will draw one that you will show us.
A penguin perhaps. Lol.

Amedee
11-04-2010, 05:08 PM
First, first, first... This is my first post with a drawing on Wet Canvas, my first drawing in oil pastels and the first in the challenge.....
In order to try my new oil pastels (12 sticks from Panda from Talens) I decided to make a sketch of the pinguins... I will try to make a better drawing on better paper in the near future. Oil pastels are really great to work with, but so very different from what I usually do (pen and ink + watercolor washes.....). This sketch took me some 20-30 minutes to complete. I enjoyed myself a lot... any comments/advice is welcome, especially how to draw the pebbles on the beach.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2010/403801-pinguins-small.jpg

robertsloan2
11-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Amedee, this is great! The colors are wonderful, I love the way you blended and then added linear marks on the cool stones. Lovely sketch, very lively!

Pat Isaac
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Welocme to the forum, Amedee.....this is a nice clean fresh drawing ....really like the penguin expressions. One way to do stones is to add some values to them.
Come back again.

Pat

gakinme
11-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Amedee, they have such cute expressions. Love the comic illustration.

Here's mine. Thank you, Paul, for the photo references.

Neopastel
Fabriano Artist Journal 6x9 inch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2010/86669-op_seal1.jpg

paul444
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Hi Amedee, :wave:
Congratulations on your three firsts, I'm glad you could join us.
Welcome to the forum.
You have drawn a lovely sketch to start the month off. I like the crisp clean colours you have used.
As Pat has already said you can add values to your stones, using dark tones for the areas in shadow and a lighter tones for the tops.
I hope you do have another go and show us all later.

paul444
11-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi Sandra,
I'm glad you liked the photo's.
I like how you isolated the Elephant seal and portrayed him with a contented smile and a very mischievous look. :)
You have achieved a good sense of form with your shading. :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
11-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Love that seal, Sandra....Nice modeling.

Pat

RainySea
11-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Amedee, love your penquins and the landscaping looks nice. Maybe just a little more shadows/modeling on the rocks if you wanted more definition but I think the penquins came out so cute!!

Sandra, love the seal . . . he looks happy.

I did one of the penquins in my sketchbook journal yesterday, but used sakura wc paint box. . . I will do the other dude in OP and post him here as soon as time. :)

RainySea
11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2010/132279-penguin2.jpg

Pentel Oil Pastel in my 5 x 7 Pentalic Nature

paul444
11-06-2010, 05:42 AM
A beautiful penguin Rainy, the shading you have applied makes him look solid and the pebbles look superb.

Pat Isaac
11-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Wonderful penguin, rainy. He's just walking along dreaming....

hollyga
11-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Pat - That's kind of what penguins do, isn't it? The ref. photo shows that very well - both of the penguins are just blatently ignoring the seals - and expecially the one that is barking at them! :lol:

Amedee, your penguins are great - love the light and airy feel to your painting. The lack of detail in the pebbles does not bother me - I think it just keeps your focus on the penguins. Welcome to our OP world and looking forward to more of your work.

Sandra - Your nice, round, fat, smirky seal is just too cute! He is certainly showing an attitude! Maybe he doesn't like that the pesky penguins woke him up from his nap.

Rainy - Great job on the penguin and also the pebbles! Those pebbles would give me nightmares to try, I think, but you did them very well!

Paul - what great ref. photos! I love them all - I may try the beach scene if I can ignore chores at home for long enough!

halthepainter
11-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Fantastic Rainy.

halthepainter
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's my version of the cruise ship. It's underpainted with Cretacolor Aqua Stics then blended with water, on 140 pound watercolor paper. It was my first use of aqua stics and I was surprised how hard the surface was after the application of water. There certainly wasn't going to be any additional blending with fingers or shapers. I had tried to scrape out some color with a razor but the aquastics were really imbedded in the fiber and all I succeeded in doing was damaging the paper.

It certainly seems to be a good medium for underpainting. There won't be any blending, bleed through or mixing with subsequent layers of other oil pastels.

I don't think my cruise ship is worthy of any additional tweaking or major surgery for that matter. I'm just showing it for the sake of participation. I may give one of the other references a try this month.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2010/140488-OP_Challenge_alaskan_cruise_wc.jpg

11 by 14 inches, Cretacolor Aqua Stic underpainting subsequent layers of Senneliers.

Pat Isaac
11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Interesting, Hal. I'm not sure I would use those as they sound like an acrylic base and that would be easier, just one application. They do provide a barrier though.
I do like the texture of the ater in the foreground and the ship seems to be moving along nicely.

Pat

halthepainter
11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Pat the Cretacolor are a water soluable wax, so I certainly hope they are compatible with other OPs. We need Bill for the definitive answer. :wink2:

Pat Isaac
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, we do. I do have a hard time getting my head around them being OPs, but more in the line of watercolor. I don't think they are in the same category as water soluble OPs, like Portfolio, student grade but marketed as OPs.
Just my opinion and I don't hink all wax products are in the same catergory.

Pat

halthepainter
11-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Pat this latest piece is a throwaway, so I'm not worried about it but now I'm concerned about using the Aquastic for the next painting.???:confused:

Scarefishcrow
11-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Welcomr Amedee! Great piece for you triple first Love the light, airy, colorfult stylistic apiproach. Good work. Below is some info you might find useful in finding your way around:

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

First, first, first... This is my first post with a drawing on Wet Canvas, my first drawing in oil pastels and the first in the challenge.....
In order to try my new oil pastels (12 sticks from Panda from Talens) I decided to make a sketch of the pinguins... I will try to make a better drawing on better paper in the near future. Oil pastels are really great to work with, but so very different from what I usually do (pen and ink + watercolor washes.....). This sketch took me some 20-30 minutes to complete. I enjoyed myself a lot... any comments/advice is welcome, especially how to draw the pebbles on the beach.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2010/403801-pinguins-small.jpg

Scarefishcrow
11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Pat the Cretacolor are a water soluable wax, so I certainly hope they are compatible with other OPs. We need Bill for the definitive answer. :wink2:

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer as the was based (either water miscibble or not) pastells are a question mark. One of the things that has to be done before a standard for OP can be written is decice exacrly WHAT OP is! Since the formulations are not readily available for the pigment vehicle combinded wutg the binder, then it is hard to nail down an answer.

My gut reaction is that they would best be used as an underpainting medcium with traditional brands of OP and allowed to dry thouriughly before adding the oilier OP on top.

However only time and research into their composition and properties will tell for sure.

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

Scarefishcrow
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Hal: Didn't mention that you did a good job with the boat.

and

Rainy: I second the kudos on your penguin/

Paul, Thanks for providing such lovely images and you must have visted some very interesting plkaces from the diversity of your photos!

Bill

Scarefishcrow
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Sandra: great job on the seal!

Bill

paul444
11-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Hal,
A great version of the ' Explorer ' and thanks for participating. I have never used the aqua stics before so I can not really comment but on looking into it I found that Robert has done a product review on them and can be viewed here..
http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com/aqua_stic_review.html

Bill... Nice to see you.

Amedee
11-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks Scarfishcrow for the links and the nice remarks of all of you. When I have some more time this month I will try to 'do' another picture in the challange. I think they are a great way to get into a new medium.

halthepainter
11-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Bill thank you for your input and Paul thank you for the link to Robert's posting on the subject. :thumbsup:

I will ponder the use of Cretacolor as an underpainting medium for my OPs. I did like the fact that they hardened immediately, as soon as the water evaporated, allowing the next layer to be applied immediately.

paul444
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I've been working on the garden the past few days but I start back on the night shift tonight so I don't know when I will get on to it again.
To be honest I need a break from all that vegetation.. :lol:
So here it is so far.. any comments, pointers, observations welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Nov-2010/82968-garden_1.jpg

halthepainter
11-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Paul, looking fantastic.

RainySea
11-10-2010, 01:18 PM
beautiful start Paul, really LOVE the colors.

RainySea
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Hal. . . very nice boat. . . so much detail on it, too.

VladK
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Paul, thank you for great references, hope to join soon; and nice start on the garden, and I see it's very promising...
Amedee, very nice penguins
Sandra, love your sleepy smiling seal
Rainy, single but very cute
Hal, you are the master of seas :), your ship is nicely done and I like the water. By the way, I often underpaint with acrylics, sometimes even make texture. The only problem is that you can't put many layers of OP. I was thinking of adding a Colourfix primer in places that most probably will need many layers...

halthepainter
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Hal, you are the master of seas :), your ship is nicely done and I like the water. By the way, I often underpaint with acrylics, sometimes even make texture. The only problem is that you can't put many layers of OP. I was thinking of adding a Colourfix primer in places that most probably will need many layers...

Hi Vlad, thank you. I have undertoned with acrylics and found the surface too slick for me. If I undertone, I will put on a layer of clear gesso to make sure I have plenty of tooth prior to painting with oil pastels.

Pat Isaac
11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Great start, Paul and you are doing a wonderful job with all that vegetation...

Pat

Scarefishcrow
11-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Paul,

Right now it is looking pretty good:thumbsup:

Bill

VladK
11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi Vlad, thank you. I have undertoned with acrylics and found the surface too slick for me. If I undertone, I will put on a layer of clear gesso to make sure I have plenty of tooth prior to painting with oil pastels.
I'm with you on this, Hal. Sometimes that is what i'm looking for - the slick surface. Good for the sky, water. But not for details. Sometimes I dillute the acrylics with water to the consistency of watercolor when using watercolor paper, just to have strong undertone. Possibilities are unlimited:wink2: And each problem has less or more unique solution

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
:evil:

paul444
11-13-2010, 11:19 AM
:lol:
Love the penguin from hell, not something I was expecting at all.
Great concept.
You little devil . :evil: :lol:

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks...

Now, just got done loosely doodling your sunset picture.... :D

paul444
11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
A great sketch Crystal. The sky colours are lovely.

gakinme
11-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Crystal, good loose sketches there.

Paul, such deep colors. Looking forward to see the rest.

Scarefishcrow
11-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Crystal,

Two great sketches done loosely. Quite imaginative. I don't relish meeting the penguin from hell.

Bill
:wave: :clap: :wave:

VladK
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Paul, I felt like I had to do the penguins:wink2: , Senneliers on 8x10 bristol vellum paper. I would call it "Remember I told you..."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2010/204616-IMG_6103_s.jpg

C&c are welcome

halthepainter
11-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Very cute Vlad.

VladK
11-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks Hal. Now I have more time :)

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Paul, I felt like I had to do the penguins:wink2: , Senneliers on 8x10 bristol vellum paper. I would call it "Remember I told you..."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2010/204616-IMG_6103_s.jpg

C&c are welcome

You know... As I think now.... I can imagine one looking at the sky, and the penguin on the left gets pegged over the head with a rock.... Then the one on the right goes "Told you it was coming down."

This is downright cute.

paul444
11-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Vlad an excellent painting, and a great title.
You can imagine the conversation from there stances.

RainySea
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Crystal. . . scary!!
Vlad, love your title and they are too cute!

VladK
11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you Crystal, Paul and Rainy. Crys, that on the left was too slow :)

Amedee
11-16-2010, 06:08 PM
...mmm I wish I could be at this beach in the summer.... now it's cold, rainy and half of the city is flooded by the river....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2010/403801-sunset.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes, I would like that too. Nice feeling of heat.

Pat

Amedee
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
my above sketch was done on gray A4 paper (don't know the brand) with Van Gogh OPs. The tooth of the paper is rather course... The idea was that the gray would function as a kind of 'back-ground' that would support the sketch but the different color layers have been covering most of it. The colors also turned out to be more 'vibrant' than the more 'misty' original photo...

paul444
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Amedee... A beautiful sunset, the vibrant colours really gives this a nice warm feel to it.
Love the reflections in the wet sand.

Scarefishcrow
11-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Nice jobe with the beach scene Amedee! Great bold color and I like the loose treatment. Particulary the way you handled the figures!

Great go at it!

Bill
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

kazuki
11-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Hello OP champions!!!

After many months, I finally got around to paint this quick OP sketch with gauche underpainting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2010/109571-184_Medium.JPG

It's a rough painting in my sketch book and I'm not planning to modify or correct it, but comments and critiques ARE welcome.

halthepainter
11-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Very nicely done Sue. Thank you for joining us.

Amedee
11-19-2010, 04:13 AM
Hi Sue, I realy like the atmosphere in your painting! I am new to OP and would like to ask why you use an underpainting for OPs....

kazuki
11-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Hal,
Thank you for the kind words. Though I haven't been active, I've been a spectator during the past few months' challenges. This place is always alive and welcoming!!!

Amedee,
I'm relatively new to OPs too. I use underpainting for the following reasons.
1. Spreading OPs esp in certain textured papers may be tedious, having an underpainting avoids the background paper gaps showing out. If the underpainting shows out, it doesn't harm the end result.
2. I usually don't draw the picture before starting to paint. So I prefer a rough and quick underpainting as a guide. It's easier to use water color instead of using OPs for the purpose.

Sandra39
11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Sue - Very nice, looking more like a complete painting than just a sketch. Love the atmospheric feel of it.
Sandi C.

Pat Isaac
11-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi Sue, Really like the subtle colors of this paintingand the warm reflections on the sand.

Pat

paul444
11-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Hi Sue,
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you could join us.
You have completed a beautiful sketch using lovely colours. I also think you have captured a good sense of movement in the breaking waves.
Hope to see more of your work.

RainySea
11-19-2010, 05:33 PM
beautiful seashore, Sue. . . lovely reflections and sky.
Amdee, your seashore also nice, the vibrant colors set a whole different feel to the piece.

Its so cool to see different interpretations and colors used in these!

Paul, how is the garden piece coming. . . very eager to see the finish on that one as it looks so lovely!

Scarefishcrow
11-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Hello OP champions!!!

After many months, I finally got around to paint this quick OP sketch with gauche underpainting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2010/109571-184_Medium.JPG

It's a rough painting in my sketch book and I'm not planning to modify or correct it, but comments and critiques ARE welcome.

Sue welcome to the Oil Pastel Forums. Your painting is very lovely. Great work on the surf and figures. To help you find your way around I'm going to leave some general info below. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
\
Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <GO FIRST> (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7172380&postcount=1) and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<FAQs LINKS> (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1)

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because there are people of all experience levels and we try to have everyone help everyone else. So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to assist you.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a thread started each Monday that is a"no topic" thread. People can just say hi, let others know what's going on in their life, catch up on what going on with others, or just meet folks.

Hope you share the fun of working in OP with us! Lots of
Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome to the OP Family!

Bill:thumbsup:

paul444
11-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi Rainy here is a quick up date, have not really done much due to work but I should get it finnished this week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2010/82968-so_far.jpg

halthepainter
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Paul, it's looking absolutely beautiful.

Sandra39
11-22-2010, 09:32 AM
It's looking wonderful. Love the way you play with colors in values and in using family of blue & pink. It's looking like a beautiful garden of my dream.

Sandi C.

Pat Isaac
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Coming along nicely, Paul. I like the light in the foreground.

Pat

VladK
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Amedee, beautiful work, love your sunset colors
Sue, well done, and nice to see you again
Paul, this is WOW, i love the intense colors and deep contrast. It's going to be a real masterpiece:thumbsup:

Here is my interpretation of the beach scene, Senns on toned Strathmore charcoal paper. Me gusto Espana, I was on vacation there last month, liked it very much.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2010/204616-IMG_6119_s.jpg

halthepainter
11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Well done Vlad, a lovely piece of art.

Pat Isaac
11-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Nice feeling of sunset, Vlad.

Pat

GhettoDaveyHavok
11-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Vlad, it looks like sheets of ice blue. Very beautiful. :)

RainySea
11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Paul. . . I am just LOVING that garden piece. Cannot wait to see if finished. What size is that?

Vlad, beautiful beach scene. The colors are really soft and yet vibrant too. Nice

paul444
11-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Vlad.... A beautiful sunset, the water looks superb and I love the sun's reflection on the sea and wet sand. Very nice.

paul444
11-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the encouragement on my garden scene, nearly done Lol.

Rainy.. its about 16 X 20 but I'll have to check that before I post the final version.

Sandra39
11-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Vlad- Beautiful beach scene. I like the sun touching the beach with several colors. Also the clean line figures are nicely done. Atmospheric sky too.

Sandi C.

VladK
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you Hal, Pat, Crys, Rainy, Paul and Sandi. I really appreciate your comments. Happy Thanksgiving!

halthepainter
11-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I've rushed this a bit to get it in under the wire. I did a rough underpainting with watercolor. My first layer of OPs was Van Gogh but they were quite hard and crumbly. I switched to my Senns to finish the painting.

11 by 14 inches, Canson watercolor paper. I didn't add clear gesso but I should have. I ran out of tooth.

Here's my "Japanese Garden."

Sorry the photo is a bit out of focus.

hollyga
11-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Hal - This is just BEAUTIFUL! Great colors, shadows and reflections! Love how you got such good light and value changes in the background foliage.

I had hoped to be able to try this one and the penguines/seals but I ran out of month too quickly. It will probably be the same for December, too, but I will certainly be watching and wanting to paint!

Paul, thanks for a wonderful challenge this month. Everyone has done such great work with them!

Pat Isaac
11-30-2010, 07:45 AM
What a lovely springtime feel Hal. Could use that about now. Nice feeling of light too. I do think the egrets could have had a little more definition, but nicely done.

Pat

halthepainter
11-30-2010, 05:15 PM
What a lovely springtime feel Hal. Could use that about now. Nice feeling of light too. I do think the egrets could have had a little more definition, but nicely done.

Pat

The egrets were one of the areas where I ran out of tooth and couldn't do any more with it. I might try scratching out some detail later.

VladK
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Hal, excellent work; I like your textures and colors very much:thumbsup:

halthepainter
11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Holly, Vlad, thank you.

Holly sorry you couldn't find the time to jump in.

Scarefishcrow
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Vlad: Really vibrant color in your sunset. Catches the feeling very well.

Hal: An absolute riot of beutiful color in your garden scene. I love it.

BILL

halthepainter
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Thank you Bill.

paul444
12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Sorry for the day delay but I could not get access to the wetcanvas website yesterday. ????

A beautiful painting Hal, that was a good idea to move the birds into the pond. Love the colours in the foliage.

paul444
12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Here is the almost finished piece for the garden pond, just got to let it sit awhile and see if anything needs changing then sign it.
Any comments welcome.
Its 16 X 12 on watercolour paper using Neopastels and Senns.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2010/82968-Garden_pond_wc.jpg

halthepainter
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you Paul. The colors are a bit washed out. I photographed it under an extremely bright Ott light. There is actually some detail in some of the bright highlighted spots.

Paul your piece is wonderful. You took your time and did a magnificient job with it.

paul444
12-01-2010, 09:45 AM
A big thank you to all who participated this month, you have produced some beautiful paintings.

Pat Isaac
12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Great job, Paul and all those rocks.....:eek:

Pat

paul444
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks Pat.

Sandra39
12-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Love your garden scene, Paul, the flowers are lovely and all those rocks are to be commended for your patience. Really beautiful painting. This one should be hung in a gallery. It might bring some awards.

Sandi C.

paul444
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks Sandi, the rocks were a bit mind boggling but worth it, I think.
This is going to my mother-in-law as a present. Its actually her garden.

halthepainter
12-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Your Mother-in-law has a wonderful garden. You will be giving her a treasure.

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Paul, that is amazing... Look at all those rocks to paint, too. O_o

paul444
12-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Hal and Crystal, thank you both for your great comments.
No more rocks for a while though... Lol.