GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here is a commision I am working on. So far an hour and a halfs work. I am working from a very bad Photo in which the dogs eyes are just photo glare back.
The dog is dead so I cannot get a feel of its essence. Gawd its hard!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What color do you think would be best for highest highlights on dogs back and top of head. Anything else I should consider?
Many thanks.MMwaa (in advance)

arourapope
12-08-2002, 12:16 AM
you have taken on something I probably wouldn't have. And I think you've done a really good job with it, so far. I see a soul when I look at the painting you have posted. It's a haunting painting. I'm not sure I know what to tell you to do for these people.... this is a very difficult situation. I have pets, and last year took two of them from me...... and I don't think I could paint them.......
where do critters go when they go? heheheheh..... where do people go? see, I think we have got to go to the same place...... cuz if when I get there my babies aren't there, it's gonna be bad.
Cap, I don't know why I replied to this post. I have absolutely nothing useful to say. But I guess I admire what you're trying to do, and I've lost enough four-legged fuzzy family members that this post made my soul go "ahhhhhhhhh" and I just needed to say that. Bless your work.

jerryW
12-08-2002, 05:22 AM
If you can get away with just leaving it like this, which I think you can. you should.
it is immensely haunting and wonderful.

Cap
12-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks Auro I am sorry about your pets. THey become part of us don't they its hard to lose them.

Jerry I think not my son just said it was bad for me! Must be his pc eh? lol
I am going to work on it some more. I think the haunting look comes from the fact that he was an old dog. Maybe I don't know. I am just glad there is an element there I can play with.

Naris
12-08-2002, 07:14 PM
He is a wonderful dog! I would lower the bit of horizon line/greenery from his right ear. If you start to make it more representational you'll have to make a lot of changes and loose some of the character of the dog. My favourite dog painter is Rien Poortvliet (Dutch) a true master, his books are available all over the US and Canada. Look him up if you need some ideas on technique.:)