PDA

View Full Version : Nov 2010 Journal Chat thread

eyepaint
11-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Boo! Happy November!

Here's the link to the October chat (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746171) thread.

For November we thought we'd try a "page-a-day" in our sketchbooks. Details here in Robert's thread (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10894171).

Happy Journalling!!

virgo68
11-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Yay! Another chat thread :)

I actually have not done a thing creative all day....... but have been busy planning a family holiday for January, we are off to Tasmania. Been trawling the net looking for places to stay etc. Tomorrow is another day, so it will be a goal to get back to my celtic gods and goddesses ;)

robertsloan2
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Purrrr thank you for starting this, EP! This rocks.

Today marks the start of Nanowrimo, (http://www.nanowrimo.org) and I need to start my novel. Naturally I'll probably also start my novel illustrations once I have a few words and maybe a scene down so that I know what to put in it. I might be commenting a little less frequently this month with two major creative endeavors going on at the same time but I'll still be around.

Jackie, I'm really looking forward to more celtic gods and goddesses, but hope you have fun in January in Tasmania. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Off to the land of really big cats with really big teeth... meanwhile a big 15lb cat has slithered into my lap to keep us warm. He has big teeth too, when he shuts his mouth they stick out under his lips into tiny sockets on his lower lip. Ari is trying to evolve into a sabertooth - he's part of what gave me the idea to write about them. He's purring at everyone and shedding many Cat Hairs of Inspiration in your general direction.

vhere
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
:D

I did a another splattering demo which will be my page for today. I've yet to photograph it.

RainySea
11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
wow, that nanowrimo site must be superbusy today. . . I was trying to check it out but keeps timing out! :) Good luck with BOTH projects, Robert. Scratches to Ari!

Very cool to see another splatter page! I will look for it.

eyepaint
11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Jackie - Tasmania - cool!!

Robert - purr right back at you. Glad to hear your Nanowrimo is off and galloping

Viv - I love that splattering piece. Where's a video of how you do it? Hmmmm??

Rainy - hello!

Good to see folks doing the November challenge. I've got two done so far but have yet to photograph them. They don't fit into my previous threads and I have yet to start a new thread.

Cheers,

vhere
11-03-2010, 12:44 PM
video? oh now you are getting too technical!

Aiylah
11-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Good luck with NaNoWriMo robertsloan. I've been participating the last few years (though failed last year) but this year I'm a bit swamped with uni. Might give it a shot anyway and see how far I get. I won't manage 50k though!

And I've missed the kick off for the November daily sketch thingy aswell it seems :P Oh well. And I'd like to browse more threads here but the uni network seems to be slow and it's taking ages for the site to load :(

eyepaint
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I did the three day novel writing contest for a few years and ended up with a carpal tunnel-like syndrome ... thankfully I did not get this situation pacing myself writing 50k words in NaNoWriMo.... how odd....

robertsloan2
11-04-2010, 02:46 AM
EP, I can understand wrist problems with the Three Day Novel Contest. I had some minor wrist problems too until I switched to the Dvorak keyboard and worked out how to sit so that I'm not messing them up. It made the difference. I haven't had wrist problems since but that was really scary. Pacing for Nanowrimo is a lot easier after that.

I've managed it now for three days. Current word count: 22,396 words halfway through chapter 8. My cats are sleeping on full bellies, looking as silly as a well fed pride of lions do when they crash. I also managed three days of sketching with it, but seem to have stuck with the Pigma Micron whether cartooning or not. Would be odd if this month was all or mostly pen and ink because of that.

It's been hard switching tracks to do both, but I think I can keep up both my Page a Day and my novel challenge - the novel's going great and three pages into Page A Day, I'm still hanging on. A few more days and I'll start having habits again that keep it rolling. It's a big change of routine to "write first, then sketch in a chapter break."

But if I ever want to write novels for a living instead of being disabled for a living, I need to be able to do both my writing and my art. So far it's working this year.

virgo68
11-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Robert - good luck, it sounds like it is falling into place at the moment.

EP - second trip for us to Tasmania (first about 14 years ago). Really looking forward to it - lots of lovely wilderness areas and a quiet pace....

Airfares, accommodation and car hire booked, so time to sit back and while away the weeks till January! Been doing very little sketching/drawiing but I tend to do that - I am an "all or nothing" sorta person! Got a full day in work tomorrow so not likely to do any more for a few days and may be absent in commenting on all those lovely sketchbooks that are on the go....... ;)

RainySea
11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Great work, Robert. That is a huge amount of words for three days! Can I ask, how much of the story do you have in mind in advance? Do you 'dig up the fossils' as King does and just start with a general idea? I tend to do that when I write so I was just wondering. Look forward to seeing day 3 drawing. . . yesterday's conveyed so much coming conflict it was full of tension :)

EP, glad your trip plans are going well.

I am supposed to be able to pick up my van from the shop today (it broke down at the grocery on Monday) so we shall see. . . been driving my old beat up truck for these past few days and actually quite enjoying the change, funny!

robertsloan2
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Jackie and Rainy! Yeah, I go into a novel with only a general idea and then find out about the rest of it as I go along. That's just my method. Some writers can't do anything without an outline. I can't come up with a good outline until I've written the story and know what happened!

I've also got no idea what I'll draw today either. It might be from the story or I might just draw things around me.

Davkin
11-04-2010, 09:11 PM
We celebrated my 20th anniversary with the company I work for today. I got a gift, (one I chose out of a catalog they supply for this.) a nicely framed print called "Tuscan Colors" by Charles White. It will look great hung up in my front room. I don't know if staying for 20 years at the same company doing essentially the same thing, (mechanical design) is a sign of loyalty, reliablity or just lack of ambition. :lol:

We're going to have near perfect weather tomorrow so I told my boss I need to take a vacation day and he said okay. Work is real slow right now so I guess all the planets lined up or something. I'm going to try hitting the canyon to do some hiking and sketching. Seems like I've said that several times in the last couple weeks and it never happened, hopefully it works out this time!

David

Carole A
11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
We celebrated my 20th anniversary with the company I work for today. I got a gift, (one I chose out of a catalog they supply for this.) a nicely framed print called "Tuscan Colors" by Charles White. It will look great hung up in my front room. I don't know if staying for 20 years at the same company doing essentially the same thing, (mechanical design) is a sign of loyalty, reliablity or just lack of ambition. :lol:

We're going to have near perfect weather tomorrow so I told my boss I need to take a vacation day and he said okay. Work is real slow right now so I guess all the planets lined up or something. I'm going to try hitting the canyon to do some hiking and sketching. Seems like I've said that several times in the last couple weeks and it never happened, hopefully it works out this time!

David
DAvid - good to get a vacation day in, isn't it. Today in our office meeting, we talked about our 2011 business plans and the importance of life balance and taking some personal time. I'm going to start doing that: 1 day/week for photograpy jaunts and for art. Would rather do that than some of the suggested personal time, like spa treatments. :lol: I'm an independent contractor and really didn't need permission, but it's always good to have validation and encouragement.

Carole A

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Congrats David. It must be a decent place to work if you are still there. The longest I stayed at a design job was 10 years, then they laid me off. :(

Davkin
11-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Carol, I agree, I don't get the whole spa thing, but I guess people that don't have relaxing hobbies such as art need that sort of thing.

Debby, this company is about as good a company as you're likely to find to work for, (not sure how much that's saying) but obviously I'm not real ambitious because I've never even pursued a higher level job within the company. I guess I get comfortable too easily. Actually, I can't say I'm comfortable because if I didn't have to work at this job to earn a living I wouldn't, it's just one of those necessary evils. :lol: It's not a bad job at all really, and I can't think of anything I'd rather do that would earn me as good a living, but I certainly can't say I'm passionate about it.

David

virgo68
11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
David - congrats - it is an achievement to be with the one company for that amount of time (for a number of reasons on the both sides!).

I'm a "part-timer" and it is hard to be loyal when you feel like you are at the beck and call of others - but it also suits me not to be full-time - I guess it all balances out in the end.

Friday night here in Oz, quite a few glasses of local Shiraz under the belt and time for a snooze - hope to catch up with all the great work of the forum over the weekend! Have a good one all......... :)

poochemio
11-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Congratulations David, you have certainly topped my job record.

Spa's I truly don't get it and I have a daughter that works at one and is dumbfounded by my lack of interest. Shocked her no end on my birthday that I preferred painting to a day at the spa. I could go for the massage part right now though.

Robert good luck with nanowrimo, don't wear yourself out too much and get sick again.

I never posted a thing on my October journal, tho I did finish it and on time. I thought I could manage a lot more than I was able too that month. I drove 180 miles round trip every Tuesday of the month to take a plein air painting workshop with Ron Rencher. Worth every mile and all the pollen and mold I had to breath in San Antonio to take it. Then I got to do a pastel workshop with my friend Kelly Borsheim which was a total blast, and got to hear amusing stories of her being a maddonari in Florence along with a healthy grounding in painting pastels in a classical manner. So it was a good busy and artful month for me.

I started this months journal charting all of my pencils. Thank goodness I can get into the "Zen" of such enterprises. I have 360 charted so far. It's a good thing cause sometimes I buy things and then they go on the shelf for a bit. I decided to make November all things color month, so I'm going to be working on color theory and mixing. I want to be able to mix better colors with my oil paints so this is the continuation of what started in Ron's class. So this months journal may be a bit too boring to expose others too. If not maybe I can actually scan and post it. No promises so I haven't started a thread yet.

Have a fabulous weekend all
Margo

Davkin
11-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow Margo, you've been busy with art stuff, sure sounds like a lot of fun.

I went back for another "spa" treatment today, hiking, exploring, photographing and sketching for about 5 hours in the canyon. Hard to beat a day like that.

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be good again, but I'm a bit worn out from the hiking, especially the crawling over rocks. I think I'll go sketch at a couple parks I haven't been to in many years, basically do some low-intensity exploring. :lol: Starting Monday the temps drop 20* and we have rain and snow for a few days, plus with DST ending tonight I'll no longer have enough light after work to do much if any outdoor sketching during the week. I need to try and toughen up this year and learn to sketch outdoors during the winter.

David

artyczar
11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
wow, i feel really lucky that i found this thread. i was just browsing around in areas of WC i don't usually go and here i landed. so i'm new to this particular area, maybe not so much to robert. i have seen him around and i believe we both have ms.

i'm also a writer as well as an artist and i started my first novel about 9 months ago and sort of just dropped it because i had been working on a solo show. now that show is up and running, and aside from a few other minor projects i have to do, i kind of have no excuse but to dive back into the novel and a small press project that's due to come out in 2011.

i have not been keeping my blog going, let alone my journal, my moleskin, my sketchbook -- nothing that was kind of regular before all hell broke loose (which was the death of both of my parents and soon after a major solo show of my art).

this thread is giving me mega inspiration to get back into these endeavors again. a page a day ...i'm late but i bet i can make it up in no time (i'm excited enough anyway!)

and getting me to work a little bit on my book daily is a very good idea. having a support and a place to check in would really be helpful to me - especially here amongst artists because i really am an artist first. the novel is written from this perspective as well. i make no pretenses about being an academic, as i am not.

i have rambled enough -- and I want to stop being lazy: using all lower case letters. It's actually a horrible habit to get into. When I set myself up to write a proper letter to someone, I find I have to make an effort to type in English because I've been being such an idiot on forums and not using proper capitalization. Der!

Anyway, thanks for reading my blabbering! :) And thank you for this wonderful thread.

eyepaint
11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
wow, i feel really lucky that i found this thread.

this thread is giving me mega inspiration to get back into these endeavors again. a page a day ...i'm late but i bet i can make it up in no time (i'm excited enough anyway!)

Welcome! Can't wait to see your work :)

robertsloan2
11-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Margo, the massage part is the only thing at a spa that interests me. I love massage, it feels good and then I function better afterward. I get bored too easy with all the rest of it. As far as I know, spas don't usually offer hot tub parties with booze and silly rounds of parody songs based on science fiction, more skin treatments and lots of things that involve sitting around being done to instead of doing anything interesting.

Or maybe there's gym stuff thrown in, but gym was a torture while I was growing up and I'm not going to pay someone to repeat that trauma. Gym is for people who get results, not injuries when they do it.

I can see how it'd help for people who can't relax though. I learned relaxation from my cat, and the most relaxing thing I can do besides write/paint is to pet my cat. He costs me a lot less than a spa membership and he grooms me for free with his little tickly tongue.

artyczar, you have it worse with ms. I only have fibromyalgia and some assorted other chronic problems mostly skeletal - scoliosis and right side hemi-hypoplasia. I've got other friends with ms though and that is a rough one, so rough.

Definitely pound your novel daily! That's the best way to get them done, don't put it down, don't leave it behind.

This month I've been putting the novel first. Had a bumper four-chapter, one-page day, still keeping up that pace after six days. Also had the three hour break in the middle where my brain turned to mush and I fuzzily tried not to nap while just playing Solitaire on the computer, before rallying for two more chapters in the evening.

I have fuzzy cubs. I drew them too, badly, working that hard on the book seems to degenerate my accurate sketching skills. Oh well. Maybe one of these days I'll have a good day and manage something more than a small page of quick-sketches, but I'm doing great just to get those in daily while completely engrossed in writing. What happens to the art during the editing stage is anyone's guess.

I went past 50,000 today with 50,661... when I reach The End, instead of putting down the project I'll start editing. See how far I can go with it if I just treat it as "it isn't done yet till it's ready to submit" and how soon I can get it to that point by just not stopping.

It is great to find a fellow writer on my art site! Write on!

And all my fellow artists, draw on!

CandAlArt
11-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Welcome Artyczar to the thread & forum. Lemme tell you this is a great place to hang out and this new chat thread is as good as the journal threads. Everyone is encouraging and we get to know one another pretty well, art-wise. Great pages to admire and be inspired by. ...And everyone knows Robert. He spreads Ari's cat hairs of inspiration......:cat:

vhere
11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
hi Artyczar

I'd love to be able to write - I do plan to have a go at a childrens book - I'm illustrating one that my daughter is going to write for my grandson (I hope she gets on with it)

I've been really busy getting stuff ready for a show in Carlifornia and am now busy juggling canvasses for a show here next month. So the November page a day is well behind schedule - I have some catching up to do with several pages a day! If anyone is interested the California stuff is on my blog and further images and detail on our group blog Watermarks (link in side panel on my blog).

Dave I used to work out in the winter and loved it - sitting on a lonely beach, watching the changing light - magical :>) my arthritis is now too bad though :>(

artyczar
11-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Huffington Post

By the way, there is a little feature on the HuffPo Arts section of some designer's journal/sketch books. I thought the link would be of interest here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arts/

artyczar
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes so far. You know I have not yet posted any of my artwork on WC yet? I've been really strange about it, but I think I'm going to be fine about posting drawings and journal stuff for starters. I also make handmade books (Artists' books) and don't mind posting some of the content of those. So I will start putting some work together.

I opened my novel file. there were cobwebs inside of it. I thought I had written in it a lot more than I did. I'm only 6000 words in. Not off to a very big start, especially since I see that Robert passed his 50K mark, I feel I am oceans away from digging in deep.

CandAlArt
11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Dave I used to work out in the winter and loved it - sitting on a lonely beach, watching the changing light - magical :>) my arthritis is now too bad though :>(

O, sitting on a beach in England... sigh... I am envious!!!

DrDebby
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
artyczar, welcome to our little corner of WC. The only way to get through a novel, is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. Don't worry about keeping up with Robert. He is unique. Set your own pace for writing and art, it will all get done in time. Looking forward to seeing your art.

virgo68
11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome artyczar - I am sure you will find we are all pretty tame here in this forum!! I just looked at your first post - well done! It can be a bit daunting posting the first few times - but be sure we all probably felt a little like that and we are all pretty keen and supportive to see each other's stuff.

This is a good way to bounce ideas around and I know I often am inspired to try new things when seeing others work or reading about their experiences with media and subjects.

Vivien - phew I am exhausted reading about what you are doing!

Candace - as neat as sitting on a beach in England is - I KNOW you have lots of wonderful inspirational places in Colorado - just not beaches :lol: I am starting to think it doesn't really matter where we live - once you escape the cities and suburbia we all have beautiful places to see around us.

Enough philosophising.... actually did some sketching yesterday - woo hoo and tried out using gesso on paper in my sketchbook. I did a graphite sketch over it - it was great. (posted in Celtic Studies Sketchbook) Why have I not discovered gesso in the last 14 years or so?? :lol: Planning to try some cp's on it today - I love the texture and I've tried to put some swirls and chunky bits in the gesso so the pencil has lots to grab onto.

But first, onto some chores, I have to go hang some washing out in the brilliant sunshine we have today - we are starting to warm up here at last :)

CandAlArt
11-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Jackie, when you gesso a page, does it curl so that you have to gesso both sides to flatten it out? Or anyone with this experience jump in.

vhere
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
O, sitting on a beach in England... sigh... I am envious!!!

it is lovely - but there's something beautiful to be found in most places :) - I'm sure you have drama and beauty nearby too

virgo68
11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Vivien - yep, what I was trying to say with all my blathering :lol:

Candace - it tends to curl up when wet still, but after it has dried and you close the sketchbook it seems to flatten back out again. I have gessoed 3 or 4 sketchbooks that all have different paper so I will let you know the results when I get to them all :lol: I think it needs some trial and error experimentation to see what works best - but for a sketchbook I don't think it matters too much - only when you think something might be a masterpiece and you'll want to so something more with it ;) Have fun, I look forward to hearing/seeing how you find it too!

PS I have only done one side so far..... double sided experiment coming up I think :evil:

CandAlArt
11-10-2010, 01:48 AM
it is lovely - but there's something beautiful to be found in most places :) - I'm sure you have drama and beauty nearby too

O my yes I agree. I do miss the ocean at times-- was raised near Santa Cruz/Monterey, California. I have lovely views of Pikes Peak here, and am pretty easily pleased with something in every season and neighborhood. I spent a week in England in 1981 and it was lovely (Dover coast to London).

Had our first snow of the season this evening & it is beautiful dusting the yards now.

RainySea
11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I gessoed five pages in a derwent all media book last night. . . I think its maybe about 70 or 90 lb at most. probably less (cover does not say). The pages are a bit curled on the one end. I set a heavy book on top of it last night try to flatten it out but its didn't work. Its not crinkled though, so very usable. Also, I think if I'd done it on a heavier paper like 120 or 140 wc journal, it would maybe not have done that. Not sure though.

virgo68
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Candace - I was very fortunate to visit Colorado in April this year and we travelled the cog railway to Pike's Peak - too much snow to get right to the though, but it was beautiful. You like in a nice part of the world ;)

Rainy - I've put the gesso on various weights of paper and got different results on all. Most have flattened out on drying though.

Been at work till after lunch today - feeling tired but hope to get "something" done :)

poochemio
11-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Welcome Artyczar.

Viv I went to your blog, the paintings are great! I recognized some from seeing them on watermarks.

Gesso on paper, done it alot, depending on the thickness of your gesso, sometimes you even need to do a second coat. It will toughen your paper up quite nicely. If you gesso in a bound sketchbook you might want to consider tearing a page out every so often, they start to get pretty thick and don't want to close anymore. That depends on what else you are doing, if you aren't adding alot of paint or collage, it might be fine. Be sure and put a piece of wax paper between the pages if you have to close the book before it dries, else you'll have a ripped up mess when you go to open again.

Candace we were in Pikes Peak 2 years ago. I drove to the top and back down. My sweetie was amazed, then I drove us to Cripple Creek to gamble after. What fun. We used to go to the Garden of the Gods every summer when I was small, we had a cabin outside of Rye. I hadn't been back since then. It was a blast, we spent several days in that fabulous old hotel in Manitou Springs. That was a good trip, nice memories.

Robert you totally amaze me. I can't believe you already finished your book and are starting to edit. You rock as ever.

Have a good week all.
Margo

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
YIKES it's the end of the 15th and I have not started for this month!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!

Oh well, can't help getting sick and ending up partially paralysised!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

poochemio
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Stacey, I hope you are feeling better. You scavenger hunt list is inspired, I still have 4 left on Robert's hunt and then I'm starting right in on yours. You should start your journal with pages from your hunt, that would be very cool.
Margo

vhere
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Margo - thanks :)

When gessoing card or hardboard, we were taught to paint a cross - corner to corner - on the back to prevent it curling. It works. Not sure if it would help with thin paper but worth experimenting?

I tend to stick things in sketchbooks as well as draw/paint, so mine do get a little padded out as time goes on!

I've got 2 half finished pages done today but I'm not sure that I'm going to make it this month with a page a day. I have to push on with the work for the show. Who knows - I may suddenly get a few done ......

DrDebby
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, I'm joining the group of good intentions, but not getting it done. I have a huge amount of candy to make for my business this month and the sketching has taken a back seat. All I've got are 3 pages over 4 days and the month is half over. Besides, I was jazzed to be actually making a sketchbook the time I did have to do "art". Ah well, off to the kitchen.

virgo68
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, I'm joining the group of good intentions, but not getting it done.
:lol: Know all about that one Debby! Making candy is what you do - sketching is for fun, sometimes we have to prioritise in a manner we might not like 100% but we have to do it! I've had quite a few extra hours at work lately - I want the money so I can take a really good holiday in January so it is a sacrifice I need to make at the moment :D

CandAlArt
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Poochemio small world! I lived in the fabled land of Texas for 8 years and my bff still lives there (on a lovely hunk of acreage with creek. Yes I love to visit still!)

Thanks all for the gesso advice.

Debby, Jackie and others including me- let's not feel bad about what we don't have time for in art. Let's just love what we do when we can!:thumbsup: Robert wrote a piece on his website about rumination being as valuable to artists as the actual pencil on paper time. When we can only get up the energy/time to chat here, it's all helpful to the creative mind and process.:smug: I love soaking up all the ideas and info here on WC.

RainySea
11-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Stacey, hope you are better soon!

iamthebetty
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Robert - good luck, it sounds like it is falling into place at the moment.

EP - second trip for us to Tasmania (first about 14 years ago). Really looking forward to it - lots of lovely wilderness areas and a quiet pace....

Airfares, accommodation and car hire booked, so time to sit back and while away the weeks till January! Been doing very little sketching/drawiing but I tend to do that - I am an "all or nothing" sorta person! Got a full day in work tomorrow so not likely to do any more for a few days and may be absent in commenting on all those lovely sketchbooks that are on the go....... ;) Hey Jackie, Nice to hear I am not the only one with the work, work, work, and then do nothing for awhile. I thot I was just lazy after that. I couldnt seem to get going. I feel much better now.

vhere
11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I am working - just not in sketchbooks -I have to get on with the canvasses

Here is proof that I am working!

This one is finished, there are 9 others close to finished and I need to get on with some works on paper too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2010/53888-e__mawgan_porth_maybe_finishe_copy.jpg

It's a small one - a 12 inch square deep sided canvas

An oil painting done partly from a sketch in the Canson sketch book (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621901) and partly memories and other sketches (plein air)

so - proof of how useful my sketchbooks are to me :)

DrDebby
11-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Very nice! I like this. Thanks for sharing.

virgo68
11-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Wow Viv! Great stuff - never doubted that you've been busy ;)

Betty - glad to be of service! Just knew I couldn't be the only one....... :evil:

Well, can't believe it is Friday AGAIN! Where are those days going....? I worked quite a bit at the "paying job" this week - I am a medical receptionist and find the job extremely tiring mentally :eek: Hoping to get some time over the weekend or early next week to unwind with some art work. I have been asked to do a watercolour of a friend's child to be given as a Christmas gift, so the sketchbooks are being neglected while I get on with that :wink2: I probably should have planned the composition in my sketchbook first but no - jumped in straight to the watercolour :evil:

Have a great weekend everyone :wave:

DrDebby
11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Just so's you know, I'm having internet connection problems. If it seems I'm not around that is why. I'm growling at the provider company now. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon. *grr*

RainySea
11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Very nice painting, Viv.

I am wondering. . . does anyone keep an art notebook. . . not a journal but a book where you keep notes and ideas about art. I have been keeping one for over a year now and just tonight, I finished a whole moleskine cahier notebook so thought I'd share.

CandAlArt
11-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Rainy, Yes, I had a random collection of articles, notes and stuff that ended up in a binder, then it evolved into Talking To Myself Incessantly in a small sketchbook more than sketching in it! When I want to decide or mull over types of paper or pencils or whatever, I start rambling or charting or scribbling. Nothing very deep yet.

What do you write in yours?

virgo68
11-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Rainy - I have a notebook of sorts where I jot down any ideas for future subjects and make a note of the things I have put together for shows and prices I have charged etc. Reminds me of what I have done and what I could do should I harness some enthusiasm :lol:

I have been busy doing this little commission for a friend - I posted it over in the Watermedia Forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2010/139618-TJ_and_Max.jpg

Not so much sketching but trying to finish this quickly as she would like to give it as a Christmas gift (provided she likes it and is happy with it of course!). I have emailed her a photo to see if I am on the right track or not :crossfingers: I find commissions stressful - it is one thing to paint an image and someone buy it if they like it - but when it HAS to look like someone for real I get a bit stressed out over it :eek:

virgo68
11-24-2010, 01:28 AM
PS Debby, hope the growling works and they fix it quick for you :lol:

RainySea
11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I know how you feel, Jackie. I did a portait of my landlady's dog last year and it was quite stressful for me to try to get it just right. . . she ended up loving it but it also took me way longer than I usually work on something as I think I was so very careful. Then I did a portrait of another person's dog (actually the father of one of my dogs) but just because I had asked her if I could use the image as I like the shadows and pose. I was totally relaxed with that one, completed it over one weekend having fun, and then when she saw it, she asked to purchase it. :) Both came out ok in the end, but I think the second was much more free and bolder color, etc. :)

All that said, your piece is GORGEOUS. That little fellows expression looks like he is in absolute bliss hugging that kitty. Love the expression and eyes on the kitty, too. I will have to go look in the watermedia forum to see if you have put more info on this like is is wc, etc. :) Love it.

Candace, I wrote in lots of varied stuff in my notebook. . . ideas for projects, little notans of the ideas even. Tips I've read from books and from online that I wanted to remember. Musings on paintings and drawings that I did and what I learned from them or wanted to change. Thoughts on supports and colors and color mixing. And even a few sketches here and there either just becuase I was trying out a new thing or to show how I was thinking of doing something. Like there was four or five pages on possible layouts for a portrait I want to do of my Dad with his boat (he's passed away some years ago and the only pictures I have of him are not very good, so it will be hard).

virgo68
11-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your comments Rainy! Your book sounds a bit like what I do in mine - I stick bits of photocopies and web addressess or names of books from the library in there too. I've even got a page with the sizes of ready made frames and mats available, in case I want to do something to the right size for a ready made when money is tight! Basically any sort of "text" based information about art that I think I might want to remember at some stage later! Any images or reference photos I keep in sketchbooks.

CandAlArt
11-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes, Rainy & Jackie- That's what my everyday 5x8-ish sketchbook has turned into. Got tired of wondering where I wrote one thing or another.:confused: I also have a clip from an art catalog of standard mats. Sometimes I use sticky tabs like an index for color charts or other lists. Sometimes it is more fun to just look thru all the pages for something and discover all the other stuff I noted down! I try to date the pages- it is another way to find it if I list it on the last page. The 100 page sketchbooks last a long time for keeping notes all in one place. Thanks for sharing ideas.:wave:

Davkin
11-25-2010, 01:52 PM
For all those in the US....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! For me today will be pertty quiet until I go visit me Dad at about 2:00 then go to Mom's for dinner an hour or two after that.

I've been neglecting my sketchbooks the last few days to finish this drawing for the November landscape challenge;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2010/201970-Boat_in_the_Grass_lores.jpg

Now that this drawing is out of the way and I have work off until next Monday I'll catch up on my sketching.

David

vhere
11-25-2010, 04:04 PM
looking good

I stick things in and make notes in my sketchbooks - they are for everything, drawings, writing of ideas, doodles of ideas, things stuck in .......

DrDebby
11-25-2010, 04:41 PM
To all you celebrate it, Happy Thanksgiving.

David, that's a gorgeous drawing.

CandAlArt
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
David- Wonderful boat drawing. I really like the way you did the grasses!

DrDebby
11-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I know I've not been posting sketches. That is because of the candy, as I've mentioned. So, I thought I'd show y'all what I have been doing. This is my table at a local holiday boutique. (Yes, the green table cloth is crooked. :rolleyes:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2010/113578-table.jpg

CandAlArt
11-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Yum!! Sweet business to be in, how cheerful.

DrDebby
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
This is definitely open for discussion. Inspired by the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" I have an idea for a challenge for December.

This has naught to do with anyone's religious preferences, but to do with how busy everyone will be this next month and kind of a fun thing to do.

Only 12 pages of sketches are required (more of course, if you need them), and can be done anytime between December 1 and December 31. The challenge is to sketch something once, then something else twice, and something else 3 times, etc. I hope you get the idea till finally you sketch 12 of something. Doesn't have to be holiday themed at all, tho' it could be if you wanted to. Just to be clear, you don't have to find 12 different somethings for the 12th page, you could just draw something 12 times.

What do y'all think?

CandAlArt
11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Debby! This is a fantastic idea! :clap: I was also trying to think of a suggestion for December that everyone could enjoy- both timewise and not encroaching on or ignoring anyone's holiday preferences. Just fun and do-able, since no matter what, everyone is busy in December. This is a good suggestion- I hope the others agree.

I FINALLY got the little digital camera out, took pics of some sketchbook stuff and tonight I WILL learn how to upload! So I plan to fully participate in December! :wave: :crossfingers:

virgo68
11-28-2010, 10:15 PM
David - wonderful drawing - it is beautifully done :)

Debby - what a novel idea! I like it very much and think I could give that a go ;)

Candace - that is good news, it is nice to read your posts and how supportive you are even though you are not posting images - but it will be even better when we get to see what you've been creating too!

Well I can't believe that November is almost over and only 4 weeks to Christmas......... this year has gone unbelievably fast and has been full of new experiences for me. I am only just starting my gift buying and thinking about what I will need for Christmas entertaining and already worn out!

virgo68
11-28-2010, 10:27 PM
PS Debby, meant to say that your table of candy looks fabulous! Hope you had a successful time too!

eyepaint
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Wonderful work everyone! Viv - fun colours. David - great grasses. Debby - lovely candy display.

Debby - fun challenge. I think I'll start with something complex (draw once) and end with something simple - pencil (draw 12x).

I did do my sketchbook page a day for November. Will photo and post later.

vhere
11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
that is a really good idea for the december challenge - something quite different

The candy looks lovely - and I wouldn't have straightened the cloth after setting all that up either!

care to share any recipes? I'm doing my 3 year old grandson a cookery book for Christmas - anything simple or do they all involve very hot boiling sugar?

DrDebby
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Sounds like the challenge is a go. I'll post it in it's own thread on Wednesday to make sure everyone sees it instead of it being buried in the chat thread.

Thanks for the nice comments on my candy table.

Vivian, all the candy on that table involve either hot sugar syrup or tempering chocolate. Chocolate, while not hot, is fussy. I'd suggest what I did for my son for sweets, Krispie Treats made with 10 ounces of marshmallows and 4 ounces of butter and 6 cups of rice cereal. Melting the butter and marshmallows on low (with adult supervision) my son was "cooking" at 2 standing on a chair next to the stove. :wink2: After the marshmallows and butter are melted take the pot off the burner and stir in the cereal then press into a buttered pan. Allow to set and cut. (I will warn you that my son grew up to be a chef. :D )

seejay
11-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Debby, the December challenge sounds good; not such a big commitment.

Not sure if I will join in though, I have some other things I want to get done - but I enjoyed the November challenge so Iwill try to get involved!:D

vhere
11-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Debby that's exactly the sort of thing I wanted :) thank you - he's very bright so catches on fast. A chef mmmm - that must be great when visiting!

I rather thought your candy was a bit more sophisticated in its recipes

eyepaint
12-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Howdy Art Journalists.

I posted a December forum chat thread (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11512131#post11512131). Join us there!