PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at ST. Mark's Lighthouse

Warren Thompson
10-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Sunset at ST. Mark's Lighthouse is an acrylic painting based on a beautiful location on Florida's gulf coast. 12x16 on canvas.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2010/347071-SDC14288.JPG

purplepansey
11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Where's is St. Mark's lighthouse, doesn't sound familiar would love to know. Nice painting of it and maybe you might straighten the right hand edge of the lighthouse a little, what do you think? The purple background colors are a little confusing to me, don't know if they are hills are cloud formations.

Warren Thompson
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
St Marks is on the panhandle of Florida south of Tallahassee.
It was a cloud formation and I'm not thrilled with it.
I would like to learn to soften my acrylics. I'm more comfortable with Watercolors but willing to learn.

OkeeKat
11-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Hi Warren, Great colors in this one.. It takes a little bit of practice with the acrylics to blend well, sometimes a thin transparent glaze or like wash since your used to watercolors... overlapping colors helps a bit to blend them.. or dry brushing, called scrumbling.. dab you brush to almost dry on papertowels and try to work colors into one another.. it helps a bit.. but takes practice.. so try it out on paper untill you get used to them and the way they handle.
sometimes, just adding the colors to gether a little lighter and lighter till you get to the next color will blend them in too..its all a matter of getting used to how the acrylics work and how you get the effect you want to achieve.
I use a flat brush with inky consistancy to my paint mixed with only water, some folks mix a medium with it to blend.
Might I suggest darker darks in shadows and lighter lights.will help it stand out more.
Good luck on your next painting!