PDA

View Full Version : Matty and the Snowman

Steve Collins
10-31-2010, 04:34 PM
My grandson, Matty, was 6 when he made his first serious snowman. I painted this from photos that I took at the time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2010/23040-Matty_and_the_Snowman.jpg

"Matty and the Snowman," 2010, Golden fluid and open acrylics on cold press watercolor paper, 17 1/4" x 23 1/4".

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

Chia
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
This is a charming scene and one with which many of us can identify (in the Northern hemisphere anyway!). I do find the blues in the snow to be a bit overwhelming - especially in the background and as a result your b/g and foreground are fighting for attention. Your lightest lights are on the snowman which is great, but I would also add some lights to Matty as he recedes too much. I know that the sunlight is coming from the right, but imagine pulling it a little more to the front and throwing the shadows more towards the back. That would shed some more light on the boy and give him the attention he deserves! I know how it is on those wonderful sunny, snowy days when the light bounces all over the place. I really like the warm touches with the leaves & snowman's hat and the painterly approach. I think this painting is well worth a little more tweaking. It's on its way to being a terrific piece!

OkeeKat
10-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Fabulous colors, they are quite bold though, I like the way you painted this. great brushstrokes and colors, but I can see what Coralie means!

Margaret 59
11-01-2010, 12:04 AM
I like it a lot as I'm a big fan of "blues".

steph G
11-01-2010, 06:47 AM
That is a serious looking snowman! Your grandson looks very pleased with himself. :) Charming!

purplepansey
11-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Beautiful bright colors that warm up a cold winter day! I like all the colors in the white makes it look so vibrant, great job

ladypainter
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
This is so well done. I can feel the cold crisp air in this piece with the bits of snow sticking to his pants ,gloves and coat and the rosiness in his cheeks.BRRRRRRRRR.....Awesome painting

vhere
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
brrrr - very natural, lovely and loose and very cold and I like the blues too

Steve Collins
11-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Please note that the scan is more saturated than the original. I will tweak in Photoshop and post the corrected version. Still lots of blues, but more like Cobalt and Cerulean than like Ultramarine, and not so intense.

Thanks for all the comments & sorry that the image is so off. Happens sometimes. :o

noodle1
11-02-2010, 11:37 AM
It happens to me all the time but does not disguise the charm, love and talent this was created with....love it!! I think it's fabulous.

Elaine

Chia
11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Hi Steve, I should have thought to ask you first if the colours were accurate as the same thing often happens to me.
Regardless, it is a tremendously appealing scene and well painted.

Steve Collins
11-03-2010, 02:20 AM
I played with it in Photoshop and I think this is closer to the real thing:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2010/23040-Matty_and_the_Snowman2.jpg

MySjostrandArt
11-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Awesome job, great colors.=)

scratchalice
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I loved the different blues and all the different tones, Ive got some canvas on a roll which i found. Can I still paint onto the canvas direct or I have to stretch the canvas onto something? I got this really cheap years ago from the pound shop. seems a ashame to waste it, any help and advice welcome thanks.

faithx:wave: