PDA

View Full Version : Really like my Giraults

meowmeow
12-07-2002, 10:38 AM
I had hubby get me a set of 25 Giraults "Greys" as a Chanukah gift.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/soft_girault.shtml#

I love them! They are great for adding darks and light shadows etc. I always have trouble getting those backgrounds muted and this is really helpful.
I like the way they are long and thin with no paper too. The consistency seems different from most of my other pastels, sort of in between in hardness and softness. They work well on any layer which is nice.
The only problem now is I want more of them! I think Jerry's has them as well for a little less. I didn't see that till after I had him order them from Dakota.
Has anyone else used them?

Sandy

KarenU
12-07-2002, 05:50 PM
I've never tried the Giraults Sandy....I do however have some of the Mount Vision that I got from Dakota that sound similar in the hardness/softness you described.

I find that I don't use them as much. Lately, it seems for me I tend to start with the NuPastels and then once everthing is blocked in I come in with the really soft stuff like Terry Ludwig or Schmincke (both of which are fabulous!)

Shari
12-07-2002, 11:06 PM
That's how I feel about the Great Americans I just tried; I like them as much as schmincke, very nice.

Shari

KarenU
12-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info Shari....I have a little starter set of 18 Great American pastels on my Christmas wish list. Keeping my fingers crossed that my hubby will surprise me! :D

meowmeow
12-08-2002, 08:10 AM
I have a few Schminkes too and I like them. I enjoy using the difference brands. The various hardness and softnesses seem to work well together.
I just thought it is intersting that I see so few comments on the Giraults. They seem different to me than the others although I am hard pressed to say why. Then again, I have not tried them all. I have heard good things about the GReat Americans. I'll have to try some of those too.
So many pastels...so little time...:D

Sandy

Shari
12-09-2002, 09:22 AM
Check out aswsale.com, they are the sale site of aswexpress and right now they have an amazing price on great american sets. I called Dakota and they looked it up on the web and matched their price for me so I got mine from Dakota. Just a word of caution though, I ordered the NA landscape set and when I got it, the box said NA landscape but was really the assortment. I called Great American and he said that many of the boxes were packed correctly with the wrong lid on them apparently, so the boxes don't currently match what Dakota says is in them. The company was very nice about it though, and sent me a free box they had used for demos which really was in perfect condition. ASW (aswsale.com) probably has the correct boxes.

Shari

meowmeow
12-09-2002, 09:48 AM
THanks Shari!
You people are a terrible influence on me! lol!
I just ordered the portrait set. It should be handy to be able to take to my figure drawing session on Monday nights.
I have been hearing such good things about these set. I had to add some to my collection. I consider it my duty to check all these various brands out for everyone else! :D
By the way, I notice they have a "grey" set too. These sets are wonderful to help you get those background values. I look at so many of my older pieces and see the background jump forward. I want to take them out of their frames and fix it.
Live and learn I guess.

Sandy

Redsy333
12-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Great Info going here guys:D
Just a word...or more..lol, When I was researching different pastels I remember reading somewhere that the Great American Pastels contained some bad toxins in them. Forgive me if that is wrong, and I honestly dont have a link to where I read that info.
If anyone else knows of such a thing , let me know where I am wrong. But it seems that certian pastel colors , such as the Reds contained harmful toxins and GAmerican was one that was the worst.
Cheers,
Redsy

Shari
12-09-2002, 11:18 AM
On the set I got, some of the colors have a warning by them for the state of California and it also says "some colors may contain cadmium pigments". There is the obvious warning not to breathe in pastel dust. Personally, I am sure all the sets that come from Europe contain the same toxins, but in the USA the products have to have a warning label on them. Colors imported from France, Germany, etc. don't have such strict labelling laws. I use a very good HEPA filter in my studio and keep it cranked up on a high level when I am working. I wear latex gloves when I work also, but I cannot bring myself to use a mask, which would definitely fog up my glasses, so I'll take my chances that I die a little sooner but live happier by painting!

Shari