PDA

View Full Version : Signature Member - PSNJ :-)

scall0way
10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I just wanted to share the news with everyone that just today I achieved Signature Member status with the Pastel Society of New Jersey, as I was finally juried into my third juried PSNJ show. That and $1.25 gets me a cup of coffee, but I'm still thrilled by it anyway.

What a journey it's been. I only began doing pastels back in 2005 after I decided I wanted to get back into the fine arts world, which I had essentially done nothing with since my pre-teen years when I had won an art scholarship of a year's free lessons at the local art museum. But I was interested in classical drawing skills, and more representational art, and that was *so* out of vogue in my teen years that it wasn't really even taught in my high school and I was turned off from art for 40 years.

But in 2005 I came back, and found Wetcanvas a couple months later and became active here. And early in 2006 I discovered that a Pastel Society had been created in NJ and I joined! I entered their very first juried show in 2006, and was fortunate enough to have my picture juried in, which boosted my confidence no end as a pastelist with only a year's experience under my belt.

But even the opening reception for that show was weird as I didn't know a single person in the society and wandered around like a lost soul. Then in 2007 I was juried out. :( But I had one acceptance under my belt to keep me going, got accepted again in 2008, then juried out again in 2009. But this year I made it in again and three is the charm for Signature Status.

And from someone who didn't know a single soul at the outset, I'm now the 2nd Vice President and Exhibitions Chair of the PSNJ, what a difference 5 years can make!

Derek Cameron, who posts here at WC as Dcam, also got a painting in the show. Go Derek! Here is the painting I decided to enter - one which is definitely NFS as it's one near and dear to my heart, of my 13-month-old grandson with my DiL's father, titled "Grandpa".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2010/62165-Grandpa_final.JPG

saramathewson
10-31-2010, 01:15 AM
Congratulations Debbie!

I haven't seen you here much lately. But maybe you have been in the studio and not on the talk part. You must be elated and good fro you to keep going and not getting discouraged! You go girl!

Sara

Colorix
10-31-2010, 04:07 AM
Debbie, that's wonderful, congratulations! Five years can make such a difference, indeed!

Congrats to Derek, too!

CM Neidhofer
10-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Congratulations Debbie and Derek!! :clap: :clap:

Potoma
10-31-2010, 09:13 AM
How wonderful! I'm glad you shared your journey. I began pastels about when you did, but only have begun taking it seriously and doing shows the last two years. It is so fulfilling! Congrats to you both.

sketchZ1ol
10-31-2010, 11:18 AM
hello
great news Debbie
lots of talent in the greater NY metro area
so your achievement is no small thing

lovely painting

:} Ed

Paula Ford
10-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Congratulations!!

water girl
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Congrats Debbie. And, this is a great painting with a great story.

Mike_Beeman
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Congrats Debbie!

PETE K
10-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Debbie, and congratulations!

gardencorner
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Debbie....just love happy endings!! :clap: Good for you for finding your way and sticking with it. This is just the beginning. Not only are you painting but you're also involved w/the organization. Double kudos!! Congratulations on your signature status!! Warm regards, Shea

PeggyB
10-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Congratulation Debbie. :clap: I think it is most admirable to have not only presisted in achieving your goal of signature membership, but you volunteered your precious time to become an active board member of your society. Volunteers are generally in short supply, and therefore need to be cherished. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peggy

Colorix
10-31-2010, 01:56 PM
but you volunteered your precious time to become an active board member of your society. Volunteers are generally in short supply, and therefore need to be cherished. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peggy
Amen to that! I agree fully, and applaud :clap: yu for that, Debbie!

Dougwas
10-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Congratulations, Debbie! And I agree with Peggy about volunteering your time too. More people need to do it. Anyway, congratulations again and way to persevere.:thumbsup:

Doug

allydoodle
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Congratulations to you! An achievement to be proud of!:clap:

DAK723
10-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Congratulations!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Don

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Debbie, that is so wonderful! Congratulations! Thanks for describing your experience with the juried show and being new to a pastel society. It's hard when you don't know anyone at an event, so cool you wound up volunteering as an officer and getting so involved.

Gorgeous painting too. I can see why that's not for sale, very personal and so perfect.

Adriana Meiss
10-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Great news. Congratulations!

gingersnap
10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Debbie congrats!! I appreciate you sharing your journey and perseverance! It is motivating .thanks ! ginger

pastel lover
10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi Debbie,

Congratulations! What wonderful news. I remember this painting from your recent post - loved it then & now. It is appropriate that it would be the one to give you a "signature member" status.

Tanja

David Patterson
11-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Congrats Debbie!!:thumbsup:

*Violet*
11-01-2010, 02:20 AM
congrats !! ... your revisions to this painting took care of everything !! ... it's fabulous !!

MaryannD
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Congratulations!