PDA

View Full Version : How do you ship your 18"x24" canvas paintings?

dd50
12-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Hiya,

Just wondering, what type of box do you use for your 18"x24" canvas paintings? I've never seen a box that size, or that flat. Do they make special boxes for art ..... or do you just make your own?

Also, do you use USPS or UPS, which one do you think would be more economical?

Thanks!
Dee

IEPbyTrish
12-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi Dee,

I just shipped a 18"x24" Framed Reprint of a Portrait this past weekend to Arizona from Ohio. (It didnt require Insurance)

The USPS instructed me they didn't have a box that size nor flat enough so I was directed to the Uhaul since they specialize in boxes. I really didn't want to pay much for a box let alone shipping...postage and so forth. So I walked into a local retailer and asked if they had any empty, used boxes available that they were going to get rid of. Lo and behold I found one with just the perfect fit and with room to spare. I just made sure I stuffed the box (use whatever you'd like to cushion your Portrait while in transit bubble plastic...Styrofoam etc) to cushion the Portrait and fill in the gaps of space in the box. I then took it to the Post Office and shipped it out with a "Return Receipt For Merchandise"
and Endorsement sent "Priority".. bringing the total to $14.30

Hope this is of Help....I'm looking forward to reading the other responses as well..thats the great thing about this site its so informative.

-Trish
:clap:

CarlyHardy
12-05-2002, 08:35 PM
I ship by USPS Priority. And I get the boxes free from the www.usps.com site (check out their store online). The boxes come in a couple of sizes that are rectangular. For a canvas that large, I take four boxes....take the sides apart and reassemble it around the painting creating a new box. They will send you free tape also....so just tape it all together and you have a box ready to go. Of course the free boxes can only be used for the Priority Shipping.

With insurance of $100 and a delivery confirmation, I recently shipped a 24x30 unframed oil on stretched canvas for $12.60....and it went to California.

carly

pawtraitart
12-08-2002, 11:13 PM
I usually make my own boxes. My husband installs large appliances so I have no shortage of large pieces of sturdy cardboard and packing materials. I used to use the priority boxes, but since I need to modify those anyway, it's easier to just make them on my own.

-Michelle

hairballsdotcom
12-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
The boxes come in a couple of sizes that are rectangular. For a canvas that large, I take four boxes....take the sides apart and reassemble it around the painting creating a new box. They will send you free tape also....so just tape it all together and you have a box ready to go. Of course the free boxes can only be used for the Priority Shipping.
GEE we'll have to start calling you "CRAFTY CARLY"! Never occurred to me to use a bunch of boxes to make a new BIG box. I have a ton of all those free Priority Mail boxes I ordered.

With insurance of $100 and a delivery confirmation, I recently shipped a 24x30 unframed oil on stretched canvas for $12.60....and it went to California.
Now that really surprises me -- I just sent two bottles of liquid supliment (4-5lbs) by Priority Mail to my brother in a small 12x12 box and it cost me $8.00!! Weird -- do you remember how much yours weighed?

ElizaLeahy
12-10-2002, 12:30 AM
I don't box, I wrap. But I wrap well. First I wrap in bubble wrap, then I wrap in brown paper. I stick down every overlapping edge and then some. So far so good!

dd50
12-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi Trish,

Yup, that's what I ended up doing ... buying a 'mirror' box from
U-haul. It cost me $4.25, which I didn't think was bad ... but I suppose if I get shipping allot of them, it would add up.

I don't know what it will cost to ship yet, since the e-bay winner hasn't paid yet.

Carly,

Wow ... I never thought of doing that .... good idea! Think I'll give it a try ..... I believe I have some of those boxes around here somewhere.

Michelle,

Yup ..... I'm hearing of allot of folks doing that .. makin their own.

Eliza,

How can you ship without a box? Do they accept that ..... and aren't you scared of damage?

Hugs to all,
Dee

ElizaLeahy
12-10-2002, 06:18 PM
I don't know, I just do! I bubble wrap to death :)

So far nothing has been damaged, and at least two of my feedback say that the packageing was good.

gnomes99
12-10-2002, 11:40 PM
I use boxes that mattboard comes in from my local Art Supply and Framing Store. I get them for FREE and they come in 1m x75cm x 4.5cm (3ft x 2ft x 3"aprox. ). I then cut it to size put two layers of bubblewrap around the painting and slide it in.

I've shipped large painting across the globe with this method and received positive feedback.

-gnomes

impressionist2
12-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Those of you who know me, know I am a www.UPS.com fan. Here's a deeper than you need box, but a sturdy one at $2.26 per box.
You can also go one size up to 20" for a few cents more, if you don't want a snug fit. You will have to use bubble wrap or white crumpled packing paper as this box is deep.

I like the box the same size as the outer dimensions of the painting, as it prevents wiggle room during shipping.

Renee

ITEM #
ITEM PRICE QUANTITY ORDERED EXTENDED PRICE
170400029010 18"L x 18"W x 24"H Box (Bundle of 10) $ 22.59 $ 22.59

Select Update after a change in quan