PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Simmonds, The Artist and Wetcanvas!

Zarathustra
12-05-2002, 09:43 AM
I got my edition of "The Artist" magazine, and started to read it this lunch time at work, when what should I find, but Jackie Simmonds promoting and commending the merits of WetCanvas!! If I'm not violating too many copyright laws, I'll try and scan and post the article here this evening.

llis
12-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Yeah Jackie! I don't have my copy of "The Artist" yet :( .

Maybe it will come in the mail today. :)

KarenU
12-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Is it only in the UK version of the magazine?? I know that Jackie had mentioned previously doing articles for The Artist magazine, but I've never seen them :(

Z...I don't know if it's acceptable to scan and "reprint" articles or not. Let me find out for you. :D

Zarathustra
12-05-2002, 10:03 AM
I'll check with Jackie, after all they're her words and there is no picture associated with the article.

I've only just subscribed to "The Artist" and it's an exceptional little magazine, and very inspirational. Jackie's done some wonderful pastel articles, and some great pastel "sketches" from a London park in a previous edition. I presume she's probably done other articles in the past too? Jackie?

KarenU
12-05-2002, 10:26 AM
Z...I checked, and apparently we can't scan and "reprint" articles here on Wet Canvas unless we have the permission from the magazine where the article appeared. However, you can feel free to post some text excerpts from the article without a problem! Just not the whole article :D

llis
12-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Karen and Z.... I think this has come up before and Jackie said that she was the owner of her lessons/articles and the magazines had an agreement with her....not the other way around... so, if she wanted to display them here or anywhere else, she could do so. Maybe Jackie will weigh in on this as well. My understanding is that Jackie owns her words so getting permission would be from her not the magazine..... what do I know...maybe both. :) I hate all that copyright stuff, but I guess we have to have it. It's a topic that comes up all the time and I read everytime, but I still get confused.

Scott is right about getting permission from magazines to reprint articles, but this one is a bit different in that Jackie is our member and could give us permission to use her words since she owns them.... which I think she would do. :)

Bottom line... perhaps Jackie will see this and post the article herself. :)

Zarathustra
12-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Understood. I'll wait to see if Jackie can and will give her permission.

KarenU
12-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the clarification llis. I hope that's the case since I'd love to read the article! :D

scottb
12-05-2002, 10:48 AM
I haven't seen the article yet, but I'd like to extend a quick thanks to Jackie for the publicity of our "little" community here. There is no better publicity than a testimonial from a respected member of the community.

:)

Cheers.
Scott

jackiesimmonds
12-05-2002, 11:38 AM
Firstly, let me say that I am sorry to be so tardy in answering this thread ... only just noticed it!!

Here are a few answers to some of the queries:

1. It is a UK magazine, it is not The Artist you guys have in the US. It is a good one, tho!

2. I have written for the magazine for many years, and have also run some painting holidays for them, and done lots of workshops too. I usually write about 4 or more articles a year, tho I have run slightly out of steam with new ideas! So I only have one booked for next year so far. They always want ME to come up with the ideas for the articles, and it is hard to always be dreaming up new titles.

3.I understand that the piece is in the January issue, which I haven't received yet. When I get it, I will post the content here. It may well have been edited, so I won't post my original writing. As I recollect, it was only a short piece, but it might send a few more people to this site!!