MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-04-2002/2187_priest.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Priest
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
trying to use the fewest marks to make the priest

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
more needed?

Linda Ciallelo
12-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Oh, I like this one! You've caught the man's pure hopeful spirit. I like the way the light plays on him. I even think I see the Holy Ghost on his left shoulder. He looks like he's bathed in a light from above.:)

Gavinart
12-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Simon,

This is fresh and cool. I really like it.

I also see some white. :)

Where did you catch a picture of a priest, Mosher Levenson...

artbabe21
12-04-2002, 08:38 PM
just goes to show what simplicity can be...

Linda to be politically correct...it's Holy Spirit, now...though I still say ghost...they scared me as a kid and I'm not givin' it up...:)

woodguy
12-04-2002, 08:42 PM
This is wonderful! I think that he may have just left the confessional...his ears are burning! Jim

Jetsam
12-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Actually to me his expression seems like he is feeling unsure, or lost. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Very nice work.

Paintonbrush
12-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Its enough, I would dab a little more at eyes but please dont touch, it is great as is...alot of secrets behind them eyes

Miltz
12-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi Simon! Nice to see your work again. This is a good piece, a bit more difuse and less, i don't know, willful, than most of your work I have seen. I am refering to th brushwork here, its less obvious in its energy. Less of the hand, more of da man.
By the way, nice web site!

Alan Cross
12-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Nice one....I like the three shapes....light dark and the man....its like the priest is keeping them apart.....
Alan :)

jerryW
12-04-2002, 10:53 PM
from now on I will always use that right ear of his.
it means a lot to me

djstar
12-05-2002, 01:02 AM
She was hanging in galleries and we were shooting the usual breeze and she had made the comment that her husband works in some aspect for Disney and mentioned a place or time when he "sells art to the artists."
I pondered that event.
I think I will resist the urge to resist the reference to "Preaching to the choir"(snicker and my own jollity) but I had it pointed out to me that I am not the only one that falls in love with the SKETCHES and the STUDIES and the PROGRESS works. Most artists love to savor the process of the piece when the image goes SNAP into focus and stops being wishes and becomes real.
I sort of mourn that moment in every picture that I pass and it fills in and fleshes (?) out and perhaps HAS to turn into a painting.
This has the juice of that INSTANT of image. One stroke before it, something was missing and from here on it is all work.
Wonderful concept.
Commenting on your comment and all the rest everyone else said.
dj*

Wayne Gaudon
12-05-2002, 08:45 AM
without question .. enough .. a muted delight with the glasses stealing the show .. great brush work.

giniaad
12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
delicious...don't touch a thing....

visually very inviting...
I think dj already put it best...

simon levenson
12-05-2002, 10:37 PM
thank you folks i am happy to get the positive feedback
but if i read deej right it is that there is like one more mark missing
and yeah it is always us artists who love art.
i think for me in this one it is the bottom lip i am proudest of
for holding back and not noodeling
the ears jerry
the ears hot and felt
perhaps the most felt part of it for me

when i painted this it hit me at that moment
there is no right and wrong
as strange as that seems in this world as we
try to fit in and live in a society
in art it is different
there is feeling
and to feel something is
important

reynolds
12-06-2002, 03:49 AM
for me it is the chin...the red and the understanding of the dilemma or the suffering...and hence the ectasy.

giniaad
12-06-2002, 08:15 AM
well, my interpretation of what dj was saying...
is that it is the dream of reality...
and a beautiful dream it is...:)

Eclipse
12-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Simon, I love the play of forms and color, the energy and emotion really hits the viewer! Itís so different then my own artistic language, yet at the same I find a unity of purpose, a powerful insight into the personality of the sitter which is much more than just a likeness great job!!

Eclispe :clap:

Gilberte
12-06-2002, 03:31 PM
clearly, completely, directly, effectively ..... and much more !

jnet11
12-06-2002, 04:38 PM
so glad you continue with this idea ... I think you have a gift for minimalism that always shows through even the most developed of your work, but really gets to shine in a piece like this.

djstar
12-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by simon levenson

but if i read deej right it is that there is like one more mark missing....

OOOPS mis read, must be a typo:
If you read me right, there is like NO mark missing.

;)
dj*