PDA

View Full Version : how not to be creative

hummingbird
12-04-2002, 06:18 PM
OK, I know this forum is about how to be creative. But thats not always a boon. Take for example the Christmas holidays...how many of you get "you're sooo creative just make me something....anything. I'd rather have that than anything" as if you could twitch your nose like I Dream of Jeannie with like 10 hours to Christmas left, no sleep, no plan in mind and 10 million other things to do? You think about slapping something together but these dear people who *only* wish that you would just make them something deserve better. If only you had an excuse...

There are those wonderful souls out there who start in July (or sooner) and make gifts for everyone in their family and circle of friends. This is not for you (unless you want to get out of it next year). This is for the rest of us who are in a jam.

So just for fun I thought we could post a thread about how not to be creative, how to hide our creativity under a bushel ;-) We could make a list of excuses to benefit our fellow artists in a crunch. Please add your own. I'll start:

1. Bandage your hands just before Christmas and claim you were in a accident with boiling water and have severe burns ;-)

Pat

jenrou
12-04-2002, 06:59 PM
1. My hand is too shakey this year. (true):D
2. So busy trying to get my paintings ready to SELL.

(My family decided we would make gifts this year.....)

Rose Queen
12-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Go on a four-week cruise (waaaaay out of touch) the first week in December. Be very mysterious about where you'll be going. Act like nothing has happened when you come back in January...

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

TeAnne
12-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Too busy ~ working too many days. *Fact*:crying:

Blueyog
12-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Go to bed and wake up only after the Holidays. lol :D

coolartsybabe
12-05-2002, 02:37 AM
I just tell them I recently had a head injury and didn't realize I was creative

livenlearn
12-05-2002, 11:34 AM
I was working on the most beautiful painting for you and stayed up way past my bedtime completing it. Unfortunately in my drowsy stupor I left the canvas flat on my desk and while sleeping my cat decided to dance all over the wet paint. In case you didn't know, it takes up to a year for oil paints to fully dry and so I ran out of time to recreate it...not that it could be recreated precisely, so here's a colorful bag of M&M's instead. :D

*Based on a true story. LMAO

amo
12-05-2002, 12:12 PM
Have a nervous breakdown. Simply burst into tears at the mere mention of anything else to do. :D

stephanie972
12-06-2002, 01:51 AM
Go to nursing school.... 'nuf said!!! :rolleyes:

coolartsybabe
12-06-2002, 02:41 AM
I was on my way down to the art supply store to buy the paint I needed for your gift. But just as I walked into the store my spleen exploded. Could you bring me some soup?

Ron van den Boogaard
12-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Purely on the practical side, I always keep a small stock of drawings, small paintings on paper and pastels, that I never show to anyone. Come the holidays, impromptu parties, anniversarries I just go in the secret stash and pull out whatever is needed. Frame and mat if needed, Done in half an hour.

Ron vdB

hummingbird
12-06-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm cracking up at all these answers so far :clap: Too funny!

Ron, thats a great idea! Naturally, I don't have any like that. But its a *very good idea*...maybe next year :) I admire anyone that has it all together for the holidays. Most of the time I wind up winging it. Hey Ron, if I need one can I dip into your stash? ;)

Well off to put up a small Christmas tree. ...why, I don't even know. Doubt it will make it till tomorrow with these cats. One can always hope right?

Besides its another excuse, "I can't make you something, I have to keep putting up my Christmas tree. The cats keep knocking it over. Theres no time to make a gift!"

Pat

Ron van den Boogaard
12-06-2002, 05:27 PM
If you have the heart to pick them up personally, you can pull a couple out of my secret stash!

Ron vdB (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox)

zeegallerie
12-06-2002, 08:46 PM
just stare off into space and say huh, just got an idea for your gift for next year, don't talk and break my concetration then walk out of the room and take a nap.

paintfool
12-06-2002, 10:13 PM
LOL zeegallerie! Mine was close to yours!

1. "what i'm making for you is so special that it may take a few years to complete" and if that fails:

2. "okeedokey! Super! And you make something for me too! K?" That one ought to scare them away. ;) Funny thread!

sunny
12-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Whats not so funny paintfool is,

It has taken me a few years to complete a project for a few people...not on purpose....now for real ,,no one expects a thing from me...

1. Too busy washing the roasting pan I left in the oven from Thanksgiving.
2. Dishpan hands from scrubbing the roasting pan I left in the oven from Thanksgiving,,,can't hold a brush.
3.No extra money for supplies cause I have to buy a new roasting pan.

amanda
12-07-2002, 12:14 PM
I tried to paint you an oil painting but the paint isn't dry yet! Thats all I could come up with at 1.30am!!

TeAnne
12-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by livenlearn
I was working on the most beautiful painting for you and stayed up way past my bedtime completing it. Unfortunately in my drowsy stupor I left the canvas flat on my desk and while sleeping my cat decided to dance all over the wet paint. In case you didn't know, it takes up to a year for oil paints to fully dry and so I ran out of time to recreate it...not that it could be recreated precisely, so here's a colorful bag of M&M's instead. :D

*Based on a true story. LMAO

heheheeheh I love this :D *bad kitty *:cat:

BeyondTheNineSquares
12-09-2002, 07:00 PM
"Well, let's see. Monday I'm going to . . . .and Tuesday I have to . . . . and then, hmmm. Well, November and December are pretty well booked up. I might have a free afternoon in January. Come on over and we'll go to the art supply store. I'll tell you what you need for supplies, then I'll show you how to make your own . . . ." That'll scare them away.

TeAnne
12-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by paintfool
LOL zeegallerie! Mine was close to yours!

1. "what i'm making for you is so special that it may take a few years to complete" and if that fails:

2. "okeedokey! Super! And you make something for me too! K?" That one ought to scare them away. ;) Funny thread!
:evil: lolol:evil:

dsoc
12-10-2002, 10:56 AM
1. Rush down to the nearest 24 hr shop and buy one of those awful prints (the one's that cost a few Euro, Dollars, Pounds or whatever). When you get home use a thick black marker to outline everything in the picture.

It's not original - but it is creative!!!!!!!

2. I don't have any paintings left. Roll up your sleeve and I will give you a tattoo.

Déaglán

zeegallerie
12-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Aren't we creative even in our answers, hmmmmmmmmmm we all must be wonderful artists. Lets keep on having fun!!!!!!

Christie
12-10-2002, 11:47 AM
I have a friend who thought that it would be great if I did her kid's portraits every year (for free!). I did one the first year as her Christmas gift and that's when she got the idea...

I think what really bugged me is that the first portrait was thumbtacked to her bulletin board when she asked for the second "sketch". :D

The second year she hinted strongly that this would be a good idea. I drew her girls but made them slightly "off". I know that I deliberately slightly misaligned the eyes on one girl.

She has not asked (or hinted) since. :D

jenrou
12-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Great replies. Maybe we should print these out and keep them.:D
In thirty years, my family has never offered to buy anything from me, but hint for them. However, they spend big money having prints framed, etc.:p Of course I've often given them small paintings and need to do one more each for my children.