PDA

View Full Version : Portrait drawing of my Father

Eclipse
12-04-2002, 12:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-04-2002/14458_My-Fatherweb.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait drawing of my Father
Year Created: 1999
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
This is a pencil drawing that I did of my father a while ago. He is a very intense guy, was in the German army in WWII, a prisoner of war in Roswell NM, and spent years in the French Foreign Legion. After my parents and I immigrated to the US he made a living as an artist then gave it all up to write. He now lives in a converted old church in Sanford Michigan and is working on his third novel. I learned a lot from him and still do.

Eclipse

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
your opinions

Patti2
12-04-2002, 12:55 PM
You indeed learned a lot! He must be very proud of you. This is fabulous!

drawingspirits
12-04-2002, 12:55 PM
Wow this is wonderful..very intense..thank you for sharing!

jerryW
12-04-2002, 01:13 PM
the proximity of wrist to face creates a difficult dynamic that the rest of the work makes good excuses for.
would it be better without the load, or is it better because it manages!
so many good things to say about the work.
so many memories entangled in the wool of this sweater.

Eclipse
12-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Thanks Patti, drawingspirits and Jerry for your input,

Jerry, I see what you mean about the wrist, I like the position of it and how it ads to the power of the person, I wish I would have darkened it somewhat more so its not quite as obvious. It’s the highlight on top of the sweater on the cuff that bothers me more. Oh well live and learn…;) Eclipse

bnoonan
12-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I've always envied all that you can capture in graphite. This one is especially so expressive.

Agree that the sweater and each individual stitch of the knit is remarkable.

Barb

jnet11
12-04-2002, 02:57 PM
great love radiates from this
both from the man and the hand that drew

I enjoy your realism so much, it doesn't seem stiff or anal at all, but rather like the universe is, simple and expansive in it's infinite detail ... natural.

perhaps something about the black and white of graphite lends it that atmosphere.

I have a question, if you don't mind ... do you grid your work out first?

yours,
jeanette*

Alan Cross
12-04-2002, 03:26 PM
This is a wonderful peice.....nothing about it bothers me....
Alan :):clap:

Paintonbrush
12-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Deeply impressed.....

Gilberte
12-04-2002, 05:07 PM
I find no appropriate words when I look at your work so ................ ssssssssssssttttttttttttt ....... and admire !

YLCIA
12-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Superb, enchanting in a way:) and heart warming...

Julia:)

artbabe21
12-04-2002, 08:41 PM
stunning!!!! :)

woodguy
12-04-2002, 08:44 PM
Excellant pencil work! Jim

Jetsam
12-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Beautifully done. I just kept looking at it and looking at it. That is the sign of a successful work. :)

Gavinart
12-04-2002, 09:02 PM
The graphic marks and differing tonal mastery is amazing!

Eclipse
12-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Thank you Gavin, finemist, woodguy, Cathleen, Julia, Gilberte, Paintonbrush, Alan, jeanette, and Barb I am truly honored by your comments, viewpoints and suggestions. And for toughs of you who asked I will do a wip as soon as possible.

And to answer jeantte’s question I do use grids for this type of work sometimes. I did not on this one because its mostly from the live model, but I do like the grid system, if doesn’t become wooden or a crutch. Thanks again!

Eclipse

giniaad
12-06-2002, 10:24 AM
fantastic...I think you already heard that...
no nits here...
his years of experiences and concerns show
in your mastery of the pencil
and your appreciation of the man
intense!