PDA

View Full Version : shadows on brickwork

Ray King
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I was working from a photograph of an old building. I found a good color match from burnt sienna with a little cadmium red. But the photo was taken on a day with no shadow. I want to give it depth. I can choose good positions to add shadow but I'm struggling to get a good colour. Any ideas as to which colors for shadows on the brickwork?
Ray

MtLookout
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Ray,

If you have any blues in your painting, try using this to mix with the other colors in your palette so the blue works with the palette. Otherwise, Windsor blue (red) or Prussian blue are some colors you start to experiment with in studies of shadow with these colors.

Tom

virgil carter
10-26-2010, 05:51 PM
There are several approaches to colors and values for shade and shadow.

One approach is to consider the shade and shadow to be "cooler" colors of the local colors where the shade and shadow fall. If the local color is red, then "cooler" colors are not very difficult (yellow is another matter).

Another approach is to consider the shade and shadow to be the complement of the local colors, ie, if red is the local color then the shade and shadow would be a green.

Don't forget the reflections wherever there is an intersection of a vertical and horizontal plane (that's where the light "bounces" and creates reflections from the opposite plane).

Try it out on some scraps before the real thing.

Sling paint!

Virgil