GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 2 new pieces
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 48 x 48 and 48 x 60 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
these are two pieces on which I'm currently working. One's a self portrait and one's a portrait of another person.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How do these work? Are they too diffuse? Do they need more structure?

Miltz
12-03-2002, 10:38 PM
Since these are still inprogress, I hesitate to make many comments, they are at a fresh stage where anything can happen.

In the first piece the value structure, simplicity and hue continuity in the background work really well. It provides a dynamic frame for the figure without getting in the way. Areas that I feel need resolution are the drawing of the legs, especially the right leg. I would consider reposing that, and bringing the value down for this whole area, cuz if I squint enough to lose the legs the piece works much better.

I like the energetic paint application and the basic value and hue decisions look good, particularly in the lower painting. The only thing bugging me here is the graphic power of the outline on the foreward arm, its grabbing attention that it dosen't need. This might be near finish, but then we can't really judge a piece on this (or any) scale from a jpeg...

Hard part is keeping the bravurah fun while refineing and/or simplifying (but not overworking) the auxilary and/or problem areas. I look forward to seeing these complete, its an excellent start, some parts might be already done, so watch out for them!

-mark

Miltz
12-03-2002, 10:42 PM
...just curious...

djstar
12-03-2002, 10:48 PM
We are being very politically correct. Better to err on the side of the sensitive.
I was not using it on my backs until it was suggested that some may not wish the exposure, even to a cheek, but I think this young gentleman, although discretely cropped, is definately nekked! If only his attitude, he needs a butt icon.
His pal below... now we are not yet sure, as I have not checked out a website who is the selfportrait, but the second gentleman shows a real personality and both pieces seem self assured and dynamic.
Well iconed!
dj*

Miltz
12-03-2002, 11:13 PM
thanks for the gentle chide, djstar, good to hear from you. I was thinking Zekeri should look at your work. Me too! Outta practice, new town...alas;)
You have a butt icon on your back?!?You deserve a flag!:eek:

djstar
12-03-2002, 11:57 PM
I have on my BUTT!!!
nice seeing you back too ...
Have you checked out of lovely Montrose and the wonderful western slopes for the SOUTH?
How is the skiing there?
dj*

MikeN
12-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Hey Zekeri,

I like the way these are going and I like the fresheness. One of the areas I think that need some more resolve is the neck on the first painting. It almost looks like he has a turtle neck on. The pit of the neck is missing and I cant make out if the dark area is a 5 o'clock shadow or the pink areas are the sterno cleido mastoid muscles, or both.

Nice work though, Im especially fond of the second painting.

Mike

YLCIA
12-04-2002, 12:26 AM
I am not quilifying to critique:) I just want to tell you that I like both works very much.

Julia

jerryW
12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
I like the consistency of all the furniture in the first one, and of the jeans in the second. man if the total finish could be as good as that it would be amazing.

however I could allow the seduction to set in at the current level of completion but that would be only if I had never seen a finished zekeri before.

Zekeri
12-04-2002, 09:37 AM
thanks, everyone, for your thoughts andd good suggestions. I'm always amazed at the power of a "second set of eyes." I can enter the studio this morning with a new vision, eh?

Helen Zapata
12-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Ok, I admit it.. I now have a crush on the second guy. What a wonderful smile!! [swoon]

Good stuff. I like them both! Can't wait to see how they progress.

Helen

jnet11
12-04-2002, 03:02 PM
they are perfect as they are to me
no need for more explanation
the people come across breathing
and the painting is wild

I see like this and refine,
as if I could outdo my eyes
Zekeri, you paint it--
and men,
ever notice a dearth of men in painting?

Gavinart
12-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Expressive and satisfying. I dig them both. I particularly like the second. De Kooning couldn't do it as well.

Linda Ciallelo
12-04-2002, 08:41 PM
These two a packed with personality. They are compositionally solid, very pleasing indeed. I will look forward to seeing more.

OK, now that I have looked at your web page. I think you should just leave them like they are. You do the "angry young man" better than just about anyone I have seen. I love the way you catch their individuality. I love the imperfections. I also like your landscapes, and I usually don't like landscapes. Good stuff!

Helen Zapata
12-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Just checked out your website... I love your work!!!

Helen again

Zekeri
12-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful and energetic props!! More than that, thanks for the addvice. I haven't gone back to these paintings, as I've been preoccupied with another painting for the last day or so...

As to the angry young man observation, yes, I've been called intense... Yikes.

Hope you're all enjoying the day!

best, Pete