PDA

View Full Version : Plein air for two

Kathryn Day
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi, just wanted to share a picture of my daughter and I finally getting together to do a plein air. She met me in Dolores Colorado where we were staying for a week and we took one day to paint. We are both new at plain air and found it exhilarating and exhausting. We spent about five hours and neither of us completed our paintings, but had a blast. The scenery up there was amazing and I took a lot of photos and will try to upload some of them to the library. I had just received the anderson swivel easel and found it lightweight and very durable for plain air.
We are both taking the Richard McKinley pre convention workshop at IAPS and wanted to try a watercolor underpainting, although we both used gouache. Worked well and left plenty of tooth for pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2010/7947-PLEIN-AIR-COLORADO.jpg

Lynndidj
10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
How lovely to be able to do this with your daughter!! You both put in a good effort and have great results for 5 hours. I am a very slow painter, even with an underpainting. You will love Richard's workshop!

Lynn

Donna T
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
What a nice photo of you and your daughter, Kathy! I'm so glad to hear you both enjoyed the plein air experience - hopefully this means you'll go out again. Have a great time at the McKinley workshop!!!

allydoodle
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
What a nice day! And how wonderful to be going to the IAPS convention together. Enjoy your workshop with Richard McKinley. I'm sure you will learn so much!

robertsloan2
10-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Kathryn, that is so cool! You both look so happy and even if they're not finished, both of your paintings look good. Strong composition, coming along really well.

This post made me smile. Enjoy your workshop!

gardencorner
10-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Kathy....so nice you two had time to spend together and paint together! Nothing beats family time in my book. :) Look forward to more of your posts from this trip and hope you enjoy the workshop w/Richard McKinley. Hope you'll post some comments on your experience at the workshop. Warm regards, Shea

bnoonan
10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Hurrah for finding a plein aire partner in such glorious scenery. You may not have exactly finished each piece but it sure looks like you are almost there with a final tweak in the studio. Barb :)

Kathryn Day
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks, I think we will really enjoy McKinley's workshop, I watched a dvd of his and it was wonderful.

Robert, glad you had a smile from this. We were both elated that we painted in such beautiful surroundings and the results were better than we both had done in previous plain airs. The few I have done have ended in the bin.