PDA

View Full Version : Cottage in Landscape - For C and C please

arl
10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
This painting is on 8 by 10 inch canvas. It is based on an image in the RIL; thanks to the contributor. I focused on value and therefore the yellow plane of the cottage is not luminous. The yellow particularly in the sky is less bright in the painting. I feel the painting is bland for me. All comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2010/114108-cottage_in_landscape0001.jpg

OkeeKat
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Lovely sky Arlene!
The cottage is cute, but the bushes around it make it appear as if its enclosed in the bushes, a door or walkway to the cottage would add more life to it..even a walkway around to the door if its not visible.
I think more deeper darks in the lower parts of the trees as it touches the ground would give it more distance, and lighter yellowish/green in the grass up against the trees and bushes, to separate and define them, they right now all blend in together a bit.
A halo apprears around the house, if you paint carefully the distand trees with a fine brush up to the edges of the cottage or from cottage out would fix that.
Hope this helps.

noodle1
10-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Think your balance is good in your comp and your areas of light but I do agree with Kathie, some added contrast throughout and the breaking up of the foliage around the cottage itself, over all I think if you give it more definition you won't be finding it bland. Just my opinion tho, you did a nice job with this.

Elaine

Nayana
10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
it feels overly simplified, more detail and dull down the colors slightly.

dances_with_oils
10-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Arlene, I have always loved your style of painting and I don't think it's overly simplified... your softness and blending of colours always leave me feeling serene when I see your work. Your work is very identifiable and unique and most artists strive to create a body of work that sets them apart from others, you have achieved that.

arl
10-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

benchs
10-26-2010, 06:06 AM
0 shadowing cept 4 a gable and the stack..
purple roof suggests fairytale content'''''
focus clarifies as it receeds to the foreground
Other than that You're Rockin

ladypainter
10-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Arlene, I have always loved your style of painting and I don't think it's overly simplified... your softness and blending of colours always leave me feeling serene when I see your work. Your work is very identifiable and unique and most artists strive to create a body of work that sets them apart from others, you have achieved that.

I agree totally. I love your style and this is lovely. I would know your work anywhere.

biddlebeach
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I like it!
Of course, I am no EXPERT, but I DO know what I like. :)