PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Conditions

Miltz
12-03-2002, 12:36 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2002/1019_Border_Conditions_small.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Boundary Conditions
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 72x160
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi Everyone!
I am finally back from my year in England (fresh Masters degree in hand at last) and assorted other life changes, wanted to drop by and say hi! This is one of the few paintings I did last year, a major departure in terms of scale and approach to the organization of the elements from my previous work. This was a part of a much larger project involving a number of additional works and some detailed animations, I may post some images later. The painting consists of 4 72"x40" panels, the realistic figures at the right as well as the primary manga images are life sized. Details below...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2002/borderdetail1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2002/borderdetail2.jpg
Missed you all, didn't have good computer access in England. Any comments and questions are welcome. Nice job on the uploader, Scott!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Sorry guys, posted this in the wrong name and couldn't axe it, can someone kill the duplicate?
:D :D

Alan Cross
12-03-2002, 01:16 AM
Great paintings......very nice! :clap:
Alan :)

taghera
12-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Excellent ones..:)

jerryW
12-03-2002, 07:55 AM
hey welcome back!
this is massive and wonderful.
always considered you a master.
but like this waaay better.
more manga
less silicone!

I wil tell ahab, he will be thrilled.

Miltz
12-03-2002, 10:29 AM
Good to hear from you! Sorry about the double post...I didn't want to end up looking like a complete newby with no stars at all!You will soon be needing another line of the or a bigger monitor for yours, been busy, eh ;)?
Hopefully someone can kill the other thread or combine the two shortly...I am looking forward to being back in touch with you and Ahab and Cindy and Michael and and, and...you can't do this, can you? too many great people....

For the record, only one of the models I have done a painting of has been "augmented"...not that there is anything wrong with that (she was a great model too!):)

ZOTMA
12-03-2002, 12:40 PM
whoa did I ever miss seeing your work
the amalgam of styles
agreeing on theme
with compositional and rendering expertise (insane)
limited palette somber hue with complimentary warm skin
flow through the piece locked in
the wrestling (greco feel) throughout, the rolling and anxious
boundry of the brain, connections sought
pivotal moment feel
...and the size, ahhhhhh
good to see you round, whatta treat

giniaad
12-03-2002, 02:49 PM
love the depth
(shown in differences of coloration and type of "light")
and psychological drama...
the mix of "cartoon" and realism and dream...
those lines from the female cartoon...going up/ down
crossing between the two worlds...
the cartoon guy on our left
breaking out of all boundries...walking away
with his brain busting out of his world into the next...
excitted and scared, but going all the same...somewhere...

huge, not only in size...
creative

I like it!

Miltz
12-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, Zotma , giniaad and Alan and Tighira as well as Mike and Cobalt (from the erroneously posted artmark version of this thread). I am moving their comments up here so we are all in one place:)

"figures
The figures on the right are each pretty nice but they look as if each were shot seperately and painted from diff sources. There are not any cast shadows from one onto the adjacent figures. This is but one give away."
Cobalt Fingers

cast shadows?
sure there are (shadows), Cobalt, look again! on the other post there are details...But of course, you are correct, as the same models are in both groupings. Now there's a dead givaway
Miltz

"look at the far right side at the head and foot-the foots too small and head floats....too many photos"
Cobalt Fingers

Not sure which head you mean here. The intertwined couple on the floor (upper Right) came frome a single photo, the couple on the bed surface from a second. There is also one other photo used for the left image inside the head. So three photos used here, all from the same session.
The foot was and perhaps remains a problem area, although this model does have quite small feet. The couple on the bed are concieved of as being located in space apx. 24" above the "floor" and the couple residing on it, the leg in question recedes in space from the area where the hip breaks over the edge of the "bed" surface to where the foot comes in contact with the hip of the lower figure. So the foot recedes about another 18" or so below bed level. The lower figures are slightly smaller and cooler in color in an attempt to have them relate to their spacial area. I did have to play with this area attempting to correct for dissimilar parallaxes resulting from the original camera angles. Of course, if it dosen't work for its intended purpose, all the rational in the world dosen't matter much. In this case, I felt the figures fulfilled their fucnction in terms of the design of the piece, which is admittedly more graphic than most of my work.
Overall, I much prefer to paint from life, too, Cobalt but the logistics of time, costs and angles sometimes make it impossible, alas!

"Essentially its a collage so I think its ok to have spatial inaccuracies especially minor ones. I like the fact that the same models are used twice in that corner. It implies some movement through time. Although, IMO, Im not sure they relate enough to the rest of the piece in a formal manner.

ArtMark, I like the vantage point also. Is she dead or alive? I get the feeling we are floating abover her as a soul would after leaving a body. What were your thoughts when you created it?"
Mike

This is one of a series of paintings which utilise images from "Neon Genesis Evangelion" a Japanese anime series which ran in prime time in the latre 1990s. I requested and was granted to use images from the series by Gainax, the copyright holder in Japan. The paintings don't really deal with specific content within the show, but use these Japanese forms in a translation of what I view as universal issues surrounding puberty, and how those experiences affect us throughout our lives.
This particular piece is really about the boudaries which exist between fantasy and reality, between empathy and objectification. The girl is not dead, but she is completely vulnerable. The crux of the boy's moral dillema here is responsibility, whether to take advantage of an accidental situation to (in any way) indulge long repressed fantasies, or to respond to the girl as a fellow human being. In this moment of desire and denial, he is already compromised by the voyeuristic fantasy before him. It is this timeless instant of confusion and indecision that I am trying to evoke, this moment when nothing is happening, and at the same time evcerything is in flux. The figures to the right signify the results of the outcome here, for in some ways, this moment will afffect the boy's and the girl's relationships to others, to sex and to responsibility forever, as it has for the adults, and as our own such moments done for us all.

On a less esoteric level, the idea here is to integrate the agressively flat picture plane of early modern art with the illusionistic depth of the reinnesance, using lighting and angle and in this case scale to unify the disparate images. There are also some referances to tv images, noteably scan lines, which are difficult to see in that they are textural in nature. I wanted to make the realistic areas as illusionistically 3-d as possible but as flat as possible in terms of the paint surface, conversely the flat cartoon areas are painted with a great deal of texture which is the antithesis of the smooth slick telewvision and film images from which they derive. Finally I worked life size here because I wished to force an identification between viewers and the cartoon characters based on scale, mediated by the realistic figures which share that scale and lighting. In some ways, I wanted this identification to show the commonality between their experience of life and that of another culture by using symbols of that culture's strangeness, transformed into protagonists in whom the viewer can see his or herself.

Whew, sorry about the length of that!

Mark

giniaad
12-03-2002, 09:27 PM
well, I am bringing this one to the top again...
you wanted this one to take priority...
and I think it is worth the float to make sure it is viewed more...

read the other post...
it doesn't matter about using the same model
in two places...not the point here, not IMHO, anyway...
or it could work into the theme...
(inner conflict...two places at once)

ok, this one does take some thought as to intent...
I think it is overall human angst...
what is real, what is not...
what is important, what is not...
will it kill/ hurt me, or not...
fear as to all the above...curriousity, worrry, how we deal with it...
what are our thoughts about all these things

what are our life lines ...
do we run...do we worry...do we lay down and die...

and we all see eachother in the same situation
if we "see" at all...
but the further angst of it is...what do/can we do for eachother...

ok?...

giniaad
12-03-2002, 09:32 PM
dual posting...

MikeN
12-03-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey Miltz,

I checked out your website. Your a hell of a painter.

Mike

YLCIA
12-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Wow, Mark such an amazing work! Missed seeing your works.:)

Julia