PDA

View Full Version : my "Artist date"

debi-d
12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
One of the things I have wanted to do is to take an airbrush course. I signed up in Sept for one at the local college with Cesar Santander who does photo realism art. One thing and another the course got postponed, then cancelled.
I sent him an email telling him how disappointed I was and he set up a special class for yesterday.
Saturday night my husband took me to see Axle rose from the Guns and Roses band, he was playing in our citys new Arena.
It stormed so bad that we didnt get home to 2am then I had to be up for 7 am to go to this class.
I was such a clutz, spilled the paint, shot air around while I was trying to set my gun down and worst thing is I loostend the screw from the bottom of the gun and it fell out on the floor.(never to be seen again), but I did learn how to make dots, and lines and shade.
Now we want to go further can anyone recommend a good book for air brush and Im looking for a Paasche vl set if anyone has one for sale.

Deborah

paintfool
12-04-2002, 04:01 AM
Hi Deb! Very cool that you got to take the class. I've always thought that looked like so much fun. :) I can't help you with book recommendations, as i know nothing about airbrushing but i'll bet the instructor you went to can. And of course any excuse to visit your local book store is good. ;) As for your search for the Paashce vl set try asking in the swap shop forum here at WC! Maybe someone out there has just what you'r looking for. Good luck.

Cheryl

TeAnne
12-04-2002, 04:29 AM
Can't help you but you made me laugh at all your antics :D Did Axel play though?

debi-d
12-05-2002, 06:03 PM
but not till quite late, around 11pm. There was a real long intermission, they stopped selling beer around 10 so people had to wait along time. didnt bother me any but when the rumblings started he wasnt in the building all I could think of was shades of vancouver. Would our quite peacefull law abiding londoners be prone to violence and rioting should he be a no show.
But that question will go unanswered as he did show and put on a rocking concert. QUite loud though havent gotten used to such noice. My husband wore ear plugs said it helped take out the roar that went through the place.

bikevstar
01-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey,

I took airbrushing with Cesar Santander as well. It was a 2 day weekend course. Very good beginning class. The best book according to the stuff on websites and as far as I'm concerned it one by Radu Vero, The Complete Studio Handbook. Excellent book. I bought an Iwata Ecilpse HP-BCS. Really nice brush. I know Cesar Santander uses the VL and the eclipse. To get good at the airbrush you have to practice the lessons. Good luck! I was living in London, On. He did the airbrushing on the wall of the Five and Diner restaurant. He's done some amazing tin toy works hasn't he. I also subscribe to Airbrush Action and Art and Action airbrush magazines. Good luck!

Kelly

Ron van den Boogaard
01-11-2003, 03:19 AM
The Radu Vero book is great, as is the "advanced airbrush book" by Cecil Misstear and Helen Scott Harman.
I'n not a great fan of Paasches. I used to have the VL, V1, V2 as well as the akward turbo (try to buy that in a left handed version). But the suction cups are really a pain in the neck. Just checked, I don't have any of those sitting around anymore.
I like all the top-loading airbrushes. Aerograph 63's being absolutely terrific (and expensive), Iwata's are great: sturdy (all metal), easy to clean, great price, also for all the spares you go through: nozzels and needles.

Lot's of succes, they're great fun (and great frustration at times)

Tip #1: as soon as you get one, throw away the back of the handle. When your airbrush gets glogged, it's the easiests to pull back the needle and unglog it that way.

debi-d
02-13-2003, 07:15 PM
thanks for your tips, Ill check out that book, I went to the new library downtown london on sunday last week and spent a couple of hours looking at the airbrush books, took a couple out and yet I am paralysed to begin and what is really making me p***ed is that I am unable to paint anything. This air brush feels like an anchor around my neck. Im setting time aside sunday to give it another go, but If worse comes to worse another class Ill go