PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Ampersand Clayboard & Acrylics

scribblet
10-23-2010, 07:23 PM
I just received some Ampersand Clayboard, smooth from D. Smith but I think I ordered the wrong stuff for acrylics as it's smooth and slippery. Should I put a layer of gesso on it first or just try painting on it as is ?

Also, what do you usually do with it afterwards, hang it on a wire as it or ?

thanks heaps

BeeCeeEss
10-23-2010, 09:26 PM
The clayboard will be very absorbent so working in washes like watercolors would work well until enough paint builds up to seal the surface. You can certainly work with more opaque layers but the paint will dry very quickly on this type of surface. I agree that the slick, smooth surface is not to my liking. I would rough it up a bit by going over it lightly with some sand paper so it has a bit of "tooth" to help grip your paint.

You can put some gesso on it to seal the absorbent surface if you like. I would still rough up the clay surface a little with sandpaper before applying the gesso.

As far as hanging it, it depends on the thickness, whether it is cradled or not. If it is a single thickness board, I would pop it into a frame like an oil painting to hang it. If it has the thick sides that can be painted, stained, or left plain, you can hang it as is if you have finished the sides.

Next time, you might want to try Ampersand's gesso board or even their pastel board. The pastel board has a surface that feels like fine sand paper. It also happens to be a great surface for acrylics. No gesso needed.

Beverly

scribblet
10-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Many thanks for the help. I'm hoping this product will become available in Canada at Currys soon, if not I'll order more when I go south.

noodle1
10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Beverly has told ya right, I've only used them one time and I had a heck of time just painting on them, but eventually there is a build up. I lean more to the Ampersand pastelbords and when I don't have them I use Grumbacher gesso, it's the only one I've found that has marble dust in it, gives you just enough but not too much tooth and I don't sand the surface.

Elaine

scribblet
10-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Jerry Yarnell uses Grumbacher gesso, I'll have to make a list of supplies to order when south. The shipping is much cheaper than to Canada, so I stock up when I'm down there.