PDA

View Full Version : Oct 2010 Art Journals Chat thread

virgo68
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
:clap: Congratulations to all who are particpating in the October Sketchbook Challenge, I have seen such a variety of medium, styles, subjects and ideas for using a sketchbook that is has been a valuable resource to keep in mind for my own :thumbsup:

Personally I am finding it difficult to do justice with commenting on the great work I am seeing, plus find time for my own sketchbook :(
and I see that some others are commenting similarly.

EP, as our mod I was wondering if the forum could have a regular chat thread so we could maybe converse on general themes or pass on information in an easier manner? I do my best to congratulate, comment, and encourage everyone as often as I can and hate to miss anyone out, it would be nice to have a chat thread to do it in. On the other hand, I really appreciate the encouragement and time people take to comment on my sketchbooks too - it keeps me going :thumbsup:

:D Anyway, just throwing the idea out there - what does everyone else think?

CandAlArt
10-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi, the original thread got lost on page 2 here, hasn't been added to since early Oct. Maybe it will pop back to the top if we post there again?? I'll mosey over & try- Robert started it as the original challenge chat.

virgo68
10-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi Candace! I meant a regular, general monthly chat - not necessarily related to the challenge itself - anyone interested?!

eyepaint
10-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I can certainly set up something like this :)

robertsloan2
10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Most forums have a chat thread for things like having a kid, your cat spreading your paints on the wall, various things offstage that help us get to know each other personally. I think it's a great idea.

Vivien Maloney
10-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Jackie - Sounds like a great idea. I'm also having trouble finding time to comment on everyones sketchbook/journals. There all so wonderful and unique.

DrDebby
10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
A lot of the forums have a chat thread for general stuff, on topic and off. I agree we could certainly have, and probably should have, one here. It can be where we get to know each other as whole people not just as an artist.

But, that doesn't alleviate the issue of having so many threads to comment on because of the sketch book challenge. Even before the sketchbook challenge arose, there were lots of threads to comment on and appreciate. I don't know what the solution might be to this.

dianapotts
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
This is a good idea. I like getting to know people around a project area. The Wetcanvas forums are huge an dit is mindboggling to figure out how to get to know people. Everyone seems so nice here which makes choosing firends an even bigger challenge. It's sort of like going to a restaurant where all the dishes are fabulous and you have to choose one to eat.

So, we're chatting here?

I haven't posted on anyones' work here and I haven't done much drawing. I am sooooo busy. Art has to take a back seat. Even my studies at college have to take a back seat for family (parents as neighbors) and household issues. My housework got so behind I had to stop everything. I have a three page paper to do tonight.

I just wish I could say, "Art comes first".

I wonder if I actually mademaking art the major priority in my life and gt that part pf me satisfied, then the rest of my life could flow together and work. As in having making art empower the rest of my life?

What has been your experience in this.

After dinner tongiht with my family I would liket o just stop everything and make a piece of art and put it up on eBay.

Diana

PS: Is this the kind of chatting you mean?

DrDebby
10-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Diana, yes, that is chatting. :) And, yes, it's hard to make art a priority when you've got other obligations. However, the house will still need attention tomorrow and even if you get everything done, housework-wise, it'll need to be done again. So, let it go and get to your art.

For me, art is a hobby. My passion and priority is making candy. So, if art slips by the wayside, it's not a huge thing. I do like to draw, so do return to it time and time again.

CandAlArt
10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
O! Jackie- duh, I misunderstood your original comment. Yes Chat Are Us! Love the idea. :clap: I enjoy the "oil gusher" on the oil pastel forum, and would enjoy doing that here. It seems like we discuss so much here on each person's work, I hadn't missed the chat thread. Now I want one too!

Diana, I know what you are saying. I am not a professional artist but I have come to identify myself as "artist" this past year, even if I just draw and paint for my own pleasure, after work and between vacuumings. I have developed a sketching habit over the past several months and discover it sooths my mind. I used to write all my daily whine and geez :lol: in a journal... now I draw in a sketchbook and my journal has nearly been abandoned.

Does anyone else feel that way- drawing/painting can be actually theraputic?

mhimeswc
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I think the chat thread is a good idea, although I can't promise that I would use it very regularly.

I went from sketching and posting every day, to hardly sketching at all - no special reason, just letting other things crowd the artistic juices out and lack of motivation. But while not sketching, my reading and posting here fell off too, and so I haven't even checked in for a while. Thus, I didn't even know about the October sketchbooks until this weekend when my sister Joan brought hers to show me. Too late for me to do an October one, but I'm going to make an attempt to view and comment on some of the many listed here. Perhaps they will inspire me to pick up a pencil or a brush.

virgo68
10-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone! Looks like we enjoy "chatting"!!

Michelle, I understand where you are coming from - I drop in and out of WC as life and motivation allows me - I think it is the same for a lot of people.

Candace - lol! Yes - for me art is therapeutic and one reason I have never really tried to pursue it any more seriously - I feel I would lose the feeling of "this is one of life's pleasures" for me and end up becoming mundane. I certainly can lose whole blocks of time while drawing and painting ;)

Debby, I understand - I am trying to keep up with all the work being posted as I love seeing what everyone is achieving but feel guilty if I miss one or two out :eek:

CandAlArt
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
I forget where I've been at WC and have to keep a scratchpad to note where I commented- if I was asking a question. Someone will take the time to answer & I don't want to fail to return and read it! I really enjoy unwinding by enjoying everyone's art, particularly times when I don't have the energy to draw or paint, but I want to "do art." What a great invention the WC site is!!
:grouphug:

dianapotts
10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I just thought of the idea that the sketchbook challenge can be the warm up drawings for the day. I need that, especially now because my drawing skills are so rusty.

Diana

robertsloan2
10-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Diana, that'll work. Even with everything you described that you have going on, it's possible to stick to daily art. I got into the habit by way of "If I don't have time for anything else, I'll do a two minute gesture sketch of my cat." So I did hundreds of cat drawings and now actually get him accurate, as well as getting my big cats a lot more accurate. But as long as I can trust myself to do the gesture sketching no matter what happens, I don't lose the habit.

The more polished things like that leopard or yesterday's oil pastels landscape come along when they do. I put in the time, I'm feeling okay and get involved, they come out better though after all the loose sketching.

Yikes, parents as neighbors? I can see how that'd rapidly turn into no time available for anything if you're at all close. But if you start the day with sketching the art time will grow, squeezing its way into priority ahead of other stuff. I think you're right that if you give the art a priority it'll help get the rest of everything more sorted out, put you in a better frame of mind.

It'll come rushing back fast even if you're rusty, it may even come back better than before. That's happened to me more than once.

Well... I got my goal. I got more or less caught up. Just did first sketch page for today, quick gestures after posting so much about doing quick gestures to improve since I was feeling tired and might go back to bed. Two pages today would be enough, three is completely caught up for all the sick days and a little ahead. Yesterday was just crazy with four pages and a good 12-13 hours of solid artwork. But I'm back on stride with it, what a relief after the long rotten flu/cold/thing.

Next month I'm going to start my sketchbook from The Sketchbook Project, Art House. I got it a couple of weeks ago but I've been wrapped up in this challenge so despite ideas and temptations, have kept my hands off it. No rush, it's not due till May... but it'll get done way early if I use that for next month's sketchbook. It's only got 40 pages and they're smaller even if I do two page spreads and use both sides.

But next month writing a novel takes priority, so daily sketching on top of novel writing let alone filling a sketchbook will get trippy. I'll probably do at least some sketch illustrations of the book just to stay focused. If I manage both it'll be amazing. But even if I come close it'll still be cool.

Keeping up with all the threads is tough. My favorites drop to page 2 and I miss updates, getting sick for a couple of weeks didn't help at all. Now I'm down to commenting mostly on what bobs to the top, which isn't fair, though anyone who updates pushes theirs back up to the top. What it reminds me of is the WDE forum and WDE threads. I routinely have to go through two pages of WDE to really keep track of what's going on and comment on everything. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just comment on a few at random.

I guess we just have a great, popular, lively forum with lots of updates! That's pretty cool.

Aiylah
10-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone :wave: Haven't been around here a long time myself. I've missed some things I see, like this October challenge (is there a thread on it? Will browse to have a look..). I moved back to the UK and started Uni, art has got pushed a little to the side though I have been doing some.. just not my two sketchbooks I have posted here :P Still haven't got into the swing of things but I should do soon and then maybe I can get some sketchbook work back in regularly.
But argh, so much to catch up on! I might just have to browse the most recent works! Great that this forum is so lively though :clap:

But next month writing a novel takes priority, so daily sketching on top of novel writing let alone filling a sketchbook will get trippy. I'll probably do at least some sketch illustrations of the book just to stay focused. If I manage both it'll be amazing. But even if I come close it'll still be cool.

Oh, are you doing NaNoWriMo by any chance?
Sorry to hear you were sick, hope everything's alright now.

eyepaint
10-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone, I copied this "what if" thread and made it into the (what's left of it) Oct 2010 Art Journals Chat thread. We have 8 days left in the October Sketchbook Challenge - congrats to all who have participated - both drawing (yay!) and commenting (yay!). I'll start a new chat thread for the month of December. Feel free to discuss your pets, kids, holiday preparations, art supply purchases, etc. :) :) :)

Cheers,

DrDebby
10-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks, EP. This is great.

RainySea
10-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Hi all. . . I got really behind on commenting and on my journal while I was on a roadtrip from West coast to East coast and back. All the sketchbooks are so delightful. Love seeing the different stuff folks are doing and sorry my comments are so brief.

I went to the art expo today and got some cool bargains as well as watched a few demos and took a quickie workshop. Wish I could go back tomorrow, but I just can't bring myself to drive that far two days in a row after spending so long in the car the last few weeks!

I picked up (among other stuff) some of the new Visual Journals from strathmore and am going to try to do this journaling in a month again in Nov. I think! :)

virgo68
10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
:clap: Thanks EP!!

:wave: Hi everyone. I, too, have fallen way behind - I have the best intentions but life gets in my way :lol:

I haven't been able to comment much for the past few days, but what I have seen is fantastic! It is great to see so many embracing the challenge and setting their own goals and working towards them :D I think Robert has succeeded in getting a lot of people working regularly in their sketchbooks - mission accomplished :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks, EP! It'd be nice if you do one for November too. With only six days left in the month, I've got ten blank pages left in my journal. It's really going to go right to the wire for me. I still might make it though, especially if I get another good day or two where I can start pulling ahead.

I'm still amazed at how many people joined in and how many wonderful drawings I've seen. Wherever they were at when the month started, everyone's showing amazing progress too. I'm seeing artists I admire, drool at and copy improving on what they did last month that fast. Blows me away.

And if I don't manage to finish within the month, I've still done so much that I know I've improved in dramatic ways. That's the big thing.

eyepaint
10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I've got seven more pages to do. I, too, have not been able to keep up with regular commenting and viewing the challenge threads. I do it in batches :)

robertsloan2
10-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Yep. Makes for long comments but at least I find everything eventually and still keep up with mine. You're ahead, wish I'd get some good days so I can catch up!

JTMB
10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, with today's posts to my October challenge thread, I have 17 pages to go out of the 100 I decided to shoot for - about four pages per day left. So, I think I will make it. BUT...it was a lot to bite off for that time period - :lol: . I pretty much stopped doing anything else on WetCanvas but the challenge and commenting on other challenge participants. Well worth it, though - thanks again for the idea, Robert!

I think what I'll do for November is pick a manageable number of pages in a sketchbook - probably 30, one for each day of the month - and commit to doing that. That should provide enough time left to go back to some of the other forums that I like as well. I'm thinking of another themed journal, and my two wildly different ideas so far are either - skies, or people/portrait sketches. I have only infrequently drawn people after I finished my last college drawing class, and it's not something I'm good at (for some reason all my people come out looking like birds - :o :lol:) so maybe that will be what I choose to do.

At a watercolor class earlier this week, one of the other class members saw the journal and asked about it. She was blown away by how much I had done just this month. It wouldn't have happened without this challenge.

virgo68
10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
:lol: John, you could create a whole new species of fantasy characters - the bird people! You should do some celtic myths - lots of people morphed or shapeshifted into birds :)

It is good to hear some are close to finishing their sketchbooks. I had a feeling I wouldn't finish the whole book, but I am happy with what I have done - it is quite a bit more than I would have achieved without the challenge. I'd like to actually keep this journal to the one theme without other stuff creeping into it ;)

Spring has finally sprung here in my patch of the world and with it comes the dreaded hayfever :( It can be difficult to concentrate and feel like drawing with the itchy eyes and heavy head, yet there is so much inspiration with the lovely flowers. Hope everyone else is keeping well :)

pezk
10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm just a lurker here but wanted to tell all of you how impressive it's been to watch your determination to complete the challenge. Your work is inspiring. I don't see how you' all accomplished the work. Life keeps getting in the way for me. Gotta go to the supermarket, pay bills, walk the dogs, vacuum the dog hair blowing through the house, do the laundry, cook dinner, etc etc etc. So to follow the work of all of you, is incredible. I'm lucky if I get 1 small painting done in a week. congrats to all of you.
pat

eyepaint
10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
John and Jackie - way to go! Pat - you gotta squeeze it in. The dogs can do the laundry :)

Vivien Maloney
10-28-2010, 12:56 AM
EP -Thanks for this Chat Thread - a great idea!

I've just posted my last 5 sketches and finished the October Sketchbook in a month Challenge! I can't believe I've actually finished a sketchbook, as I have sketchbooks everywhere, all unfinished.

Robert - Thanks Robert for the October Sketcbook Challenge. It was fun and also a great incentive to get sketching. I was determined to finish it, so pleased that I did. Mind you I was sneaky and used a small A5 size, as I knew I'd never complete a larger size one!

RainySea
10-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Viv. . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done and a beautiful job of it, too. Congrats on the finish. Wow, are you are the first?!

virgo68
10-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Congratulations Viv - well done! What a great achievement! :)

eyepaint
10-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Way to go Viv!!!

robertsloan2
10-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh wow, thanks guys! This really warms my heart.

I've got four days left including today's (not yet started but it's only noonish) and five pages to go. So I think I'm going to make it. Especially if I do a big day today with two or three pages, then I'll be really set and ready to finish early.

John, those are both great for a November sketchbook, a page a day challenge. I've joined the Sketchbook Project at Art House and they sent me my little 40 page Moleskine Cahier one. So in November I'm going to try to get started on that. My theme is Coffee & Cigarettes, to which I'm adding Cat Hair, which are the substances that fuel my novel writing. That will make the journal something of a record of my November novel, Sabertooth.

I always wanted to do a "field journal of the novel" set of illustrations. But no matter how cool it was as an idea, I never successfully illustrated any of my stories or novels. Makes this more challenging. I have to relax about it too and remember no one expects perfection in a sketchbook, even one that'll be on display.

How do folks feel about setting up a November challenge? "Page a day" is one way to do it if you don't feel like doing a whole sketchbook, or "Something in my sketchbook daily." We can broaden the scope on it and still set up an Index and a Chat Thread.

Davkin
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd be up for a page a day challenge since I've challenged myself to do at least one sketch from life a day anyway.

David

eyepaint
10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
How do folks feel about setting up a November challenge? "Page a day" is one way to do it if you don't feel like doing a whole sketchbook, or "Something in my sketchbook daily." We can broaden the scope on it and still set up an Index and a Chat Thread.

That sounds great! I'm pretty sure that's doable for me. Maybe a smaller sketchbook (not the 11x13" I'm currently working on.)

Cheers,

RainySea
10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I would love do do the November page a day challenge!

Robert, your ideas for the sketch journal sound so cool. It will be awesome to see it come together.

Vivien Maloney
10-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Rainy and Jackie - Thank you. I'm feeling very pleased with myself that I actually finished it! I keep going back and looking at my sketchbook in amazement as it's the first one I've completed.
It was thanks to Robert's challenge that gave me the incentive to finish it. I must admit I was beginning to lose interest in it, as I prefer to use lots of different formats and different mediums, but was determined to finish it, and glad I did.

vhere
10-29-2010, 08:37 AM
A page a day is a good idea - it means I can jump from book to book - different sizes and papers :)

robertsloan2
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
It sounds like "Page a Day" is being voted in for the November challenge. I'd be happy with it because I'd be 3/4 done with the sketchbook that's due in May - or I'd get to use some of the others that are tempting me, the black paper one from Derwent and the others. It was cool doing a whole sketchbook in a month but page a day would let me revive some other threads, like that Moleskine Folio that I've got all the demos and color explorations in.

eyepaint
10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Hooray!

Davkin
10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Since this is a chat thread I assume it would be okay to post some of our work here that we've been showing in other forums so we can share with our Art Journal friends? Assuming that's okay I'll show you my latest complete drawing, the first I've produced that I consider frame worthy;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2010/201970-Mendon_barn-finished-lores.jpg

It's 11 X 14. The barn and background are based on a photo I took. The truck is based on a photo I took at a car show and the tractor is based on a photo I got off the internet. The foreground is mostly imagined.

David

DrDebby
10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Definitely frame worthy.

virgo68
10-30-2010, 03:23 AM
I agree David - fantastic job ;)

vhere
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
yes frame it :) it'a a lovely drawing

Davkin
10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Actually guys, I framed it the other day. Thanks for the comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2010/201970-mendon_barn-framed.jpg

David

virgo68
10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi all! Well, it is the last day of October here in Oz and I have probably only filled a third of my sketchbook. I might have failed on the "fill a sketchbook" part but I am happy with what I achieved. So a big THANKYOU to Robert for inviting us to join the challenge - it was a great prompter for me to work more regularly than I had in the past.

Happy Halloween to everyone, have a great day wherever you are..... ;)

virgo68
10-30-2010, 08:18 PM
PS David, we posted at the same time - WOW - great job, it looks fantastic :)

eyepaint
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually guys, I framed it the other day. Thanks for the comments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2010/201970-mendon_barn-framed.jpg

David

Hooray! Looks superb! :)

robertsloan2
10-30-2010, 10:33 PM
That looks great framed, David! Thanks for posting the photo. There's one to keep out in the living room where everyone can see it.

It's done. I finished it. I'm sitting here a bit gobsmacked, looking at the last page and seeing no more pages there. I actually did it. When I started I was doing this to push myself and really wasn't sure I'd manage, especially with big pages. But there it is, done a day early.

I'm blanking on which one to pick up next and really like the page a day for November, so that I don't have to stick to just one and can switch types of paper per needed for medium or effect. I missed that black one a few times during the month.

dianapotts
10-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey Robert,

Is there going to be a November sketchbook project? I am in a better position to do it.

I kind of messed up the last one as my sketchbook ended up being also a place to study Chinese. This happens a lot. I can't publish what I put in there because it is of a private nature for the original writer. I used it to translate a Chinese dissident's posts on Facebook.

My sketchbook sort of ends up where I put my life.

It has 200 pages so if I commit to maybe a hundred of those for drawing and let the Chinese pages go unnoticed I can do it.

The Chinese language is in my blood even if I am not fluent, so it is here to stay right along side of my art.

Diana

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 02:20 AM
From a lot of suggestions on this thread, in November we'll be doing a Page a Day challenge, or any variation anyone wants to do. That sounds like it'd dovetail well with your plans. For me it means I'm not nailed to one sketchbook and just shelving it when it's done.

I just shelved my October 2010 Sketchbook after doing a really good finale, colored pencils and watercolor. I tried something weird and it worked, fusing two unrelated paintings in different mediums with a narrow transition band that's the same color in both. It came out surreal and pleasing, like the bottom one's reflecting in the top one.

Now I've got this odd feeling, keep looking over for that familiar sketchbook and it's not there. It's up on the shelf, done. After living with it that intensely for a month, it's pretty freaky being done!

CandAlArt
10-31-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm just a lurker here but wanted to tell all of you how impressive it's been to watch your determination to complete the challenge. Your work is inspiring. I don't see how you' all accomplished the work. Life keeps getting in the way for me. Gotta go to the supermarket, pay bills, walk the dogs, vacuum the dog hair blowing through the house, do the laundry, cook dinner, etc etc etc. So to follow the work of all of you, is incredible. I'm lucky if I get 1 small painting done in a week. congrats to all of you.
pat

Lurking For Inspiration is a valid reason to be here at WC! Welcome! My goal is to learn how to upload so I am not just a talker! :lol: Really, the inspiration gets us going when we do find the time in busy weeks to paint or sketch. Always room for more folks, so welcome again.

CandAlArt
10-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Page-A-Day sounds fun! I'm in!

eyepaint
10-31-2010, 02:40 AM
From a lot of suggestions on this thread, in November we'll be doing a Page a Day challenge, or any variation anyone wants to do.!

Robert, if you'd like to write the "Welcome to the Challenge" thread, I'll stick it at the top of the forum. Do you think an index list of participants threads would be helpful? What's your assessment of the index thread for the Oct. challenge?

RainySea
10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
YAY . . . Robert! Your finale was BRILLIANT and big congrats on the finish. I know how you feel though, weird without the book to work on. I am working on the last page (a halloween one of course!) in my little black watercolor book this morning and its weird that after that it will be put away. . . all done! It a rather special little book since it traveled by car all the way across the USA with me!

This Sketch a Month was a great idea and great fun, Robert. Thanks for suggesting it and letting me tag along! It motivated me to finally do an art journal thread. . . but then you are GREAT at motivating. Its not the first time you have moved me to branch out in my art. You are such an awesome asset to WC.

David, that is a gorgeous drawing and looks wonderful framed! Really nice work!

For my page a day, I have two sketchbook that are unfinished. . . one is a 5 x 7 Pentalic Nature sketch with 10 pages left and one is a 4.5 x 6 Derwent all media book with 17 pages left. Combining those give me almost the full needed pages for the month. . . so I will plan to finish up those two this month for my challenge and then maybe start in on one of the visual journals for the last few days.

Happy Halloween all!!!

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 02:29 PM
EP, thanks! I'll write up the November Challenge thread so you can sticky it - but I don't think an index will help with this one. The most suggested challenge for November is "Page a Day" so I'm going to post that one (or any you set for yourself). Several mentioned they'd be glad to use multiple sketchbooks again. So will I, since I can use a little one on a bad day. Sometimes pushing to do a big page was tough!

I don't know if the Index was that helpful this time or not. I'm not the one to answer that - it's others and lurkers. I went to just looking at whatever bobbed up to the top like usual and then if I had time going to the second page. If anyone found it useful, I'll do one again if there's another one that's Sketchbook in a Month - which I suspect won't be the holidays one either, given people celebrating and sending cards and stuff, so I'll try to come up with something weird and stimulating for a holiday challenge in December.

Ideas are welcome for a December challenge. Just be sure it involves lots of sketching! Maybe it'll emerge like Page-A-Day by suggestions in the Chat Thread throughout. I think we came up with the November one by consensus.

I still can't believe I did that. I keep looking over for it and it's not there. Maybe I should take it down, keep it handy and gloat for one more day.

Thank you to everyone who participated!!!

I don't think I could've done it if I hadn't run into this tidal wave of support and had so many others trying with me. It went from this loony idea I wanted to try someday to something real because even on my really bad sick days I could see so much going on and so much progress. Thank you!

eyepaint
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
In the Artwork from Life forum we've had a "hand a day" or "portrait a day" or "leaf a day" or "tree a day" and those of course were all to be drawn/painted from life. We could do something similar here but people can work from photos and or imagination :)

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Yep! Picking a theme for your page a day challenge is personal but that could be a lot of fun. I should edit that into the challenge description and signup I just posted.

virgo68
10-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Congratulations to everyone who finished their sketchbooks in a month - what a fantastic effort! :)

Congratulations to everyone who participated, even those of us who didn't get a book filled ;) I have seen some wonderful work covering a wide range of medium and subject - a really creative and inspiring month!

Robert, I think you can declare the challenge "well met" and a huge success!

virgo68
10-31-2010, 08:05 PM
PS -I want to continue my Celtic sketchbook - can I rename it does anyone know?!! It may have to remain "October Challenge" for a while :lol:

JTMB
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Jackie - great idea to continue your Celtic sketchbook. Count me as a fan, for sure!

Robert -thanks so much for the idea and the motivation for everyone that resulted, whether they finished or not I suspect everyone did more than they would have otherwise.

As to an index thread, I personally found it useful. Once I realized it was impossible (for me, anyway) to comment on each of the subscribed threads (I subscribed to them all) every time a new post popped up. I would go to the index thread, start at the top and work my way down through them so that I knew I looked at everyone's challenge thread. On the other hand, if it's a pain to do, don't feel obligated to do it -there are other ways for everyone to keep as current as they want to be.

RainySea
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
That sounds like a cool way to get needed practice on particular subjects, EP. I'm not sure if I have the dedication though to draw/paint the same thing for a whole month each day though. . . hm. . .

robertsloan2
10-31-2010, 11:47 PM
I love your October sketchbook Celtic sketchbook. I think EP can change the name on the thread but I know I'll keep watching it, Jackie. It's incredible.

John, thanks for letting me know the index thread was useful! If we do one that's limited to one sketchbook each again then an Index would work - it's just that for Page a Day when the point is to be able to use multiple sketchbooks it'd get out of hand.

Rainy, if you want to try EP's suggestion and don't want to narrow it too much, maybe a broader subject like "people" or "Cats" or "Landscapes" would work as opposed to nothing but hands for a month. I'm not going to theme mine, just try for a page a day.

I am so thrilled so many people participated! It's been a wild and wonderful event. Even those who didn't finish have done some incredible things and grown so much.

eyepaint
11-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Link to the November (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758121)chat thread.