PDA

View Full Version : mixing mediums

Patti
02-17-2000, 01:30 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a problem using either Liquin or a turp-free mixing medium on top of work done with the traditional linseed, turp, and damar mix?
The old part is completely dry. Thanks,
Pat

Drew Davis
02-20-2000, 09:16 AM
There's not a problem just due to the materials. If the old painting is dry and glossy and nonabsorbent (from a lot of damar underneath), then you might have some adhesion problems, no matter what you use on top. You might want to apply a little bit of retouch varnish to help match the old painting, too.

Some people warn against overpainting between after about a week (when the original paint loses its adhesion) and about three months (when it's more or less done drying and shrinking). Mayer seems sort of inconclusive on that one. (And if it doesn't scare Mayer, it almost has to be safe http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

Patti
02-22-2000, 09:24 AM
Thanks for answering Drew. I want to rework an old painting and have been reading about fat over lean, wrinkling and cracking paint etc. and thought I should ask first.
Pat

sandyartist
02-22-2000, 09:33 AM
Drew's correct..no problema..done it many times...still no visible pantylines.

Patty Brown
06-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Hello,
Does anyone know what glue to use if you are gluing canvas to canvas. Want to try something different and don't want it to come apart after time. Is there something other than fabric glue? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Patty