PDA

View Full Version : Crumbling Winsor & Newton Pastels

JohnnyRed
11-30-2002, 11:56 AM
I've just read the thread regarding Sennelier Pastels, that has prompted me to open this Thread.

A while ago, I bought some Winsor & Newton pastels. I liked the way they covered the paper with such a lovely smooth feel to them. However, when I came to tear off the wrapper, most of them just crumbled in my fingers.

Is this 'normal' for W&N pastels, or could it be the way they were stored in the art shop? I know how much care I take with transporting pastels home, but have never had this extent of problem with Daler Rowney or Rembrandt pastels.

Have any others experienced this crumbling?

jackiesimmonds
11-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Johnnyred ... I do not believe any pastels should crumble when you take the paper off. They are too darn expensive. If they came in a boxed set, then you could complain without hesitation ... the boxed ones are supposed to be protected by their sponge surrounds.

However, if you bought individual sticks, they might argue that you bashed them about on your way home.

Whatever ... it is certainly worth a letter to W&N, complaining that you cannot possibly work with crumbs, and that you take great care, etc etc, and what are they going to do about it?

You never know, you might get the whole lot replaced. It is worth a try. You could give Ella Moulding at W&N a ring if you wanted to see how best to go about it ...0208 427 4343.

Good luck
Jackie

sundiver
11-30-2002, 08:48 PM
FWIW
There's only one W&N pastel in my box, but it's crumbled. I bought it just recently, too. My Rembrandts (fairly new) and Grumbachers (30 years old) are not crumbled.

Rick R
12-01-2002, 02:36 AM
I have a number of WN pastels, um more than several but less than a lot, but I've never had one crumble. Senneliers yes, Winsor and Newton no.

- Rick

Christobal
12-01-2002, 03:20 AM
I haven't any problem with my WN pastels. It must be an accident

Koert
12-01-2002, 05:54 AM
never had the problem with wn

JohnnyRed
12-01-2002, 06:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm wondering now, as the majority of responders have had no problem with these pastels that it could be a way they were stored in or handled in the art shop. I know that when I transport them home, I do take the greatest of care. As you say Jackie, they are too expensive to throw around carelessly.

I'll probably try another art shop that sells them, and try them. Or maybe it was just a bad batch.

Thanks for the number and contact Jackie. Before I make contact with W&N I'll try another shop first, just to see if it is a shop handling/storing problem.

the sticks themselves were individual sticks and not a boxed set.

Taminka
12-03-2002, 12:35 AM
JR - I have about 50 W&N pastels bought as single sticks- have taken them all out of their wrappers. A couple had one break about the middle - which doesn't worry me as I break them all in half anyway. No crumbled ones. I quite like them as good mid-softness pastels.

Minky