PDA

View Full Version : Paper making

amanda
11-30-2002, 01:35 AM
I have just started getting into paper making (pulping paper and adding things to it etc). does anyone else out there do this for fun? I'd love some hints on it and also some good websites to browse through if you know of any.

Blueyog
11-30-2002, 12:53 PM
I love paper making !!! I just don't have enough time to "play" with it :D

You can try to add dry flowers or leaves to your plup, it makes a great effect. Or some color paper, coffee,... it adds colors and even a good smell :) Possibilities are endless !

sunny
11-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi Amanda,
Papermaking is great fun and an art of its' own. Some web sites I found that are great are: http://www.papermaking.net/ a site with tips, instructions and supplies. http://www.ipst.edu/amp, American Museum of Papermaking and www.inkspirations.com/papermaking.html for books on papermaking. :D

Have fun!

amanda
11-30-2002, 08:14 PM
Thank you very much for these links, I found them very interesting and helpful. I've enjoyed making the paper so far but havent used sizing as yet. I thought I read somewhere that you can use something else for sizing other than the shop bought stuff. Any suggestions here?

sunny
12-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Amanda,
For sizing, a coating of spray starch can be added while the pressed sheet of paper is drying.
A very simple method of making 1 sheet of paper:
You'll need: 3-4 pieces of any kind of paper...even junk mail...or old greetin cards, etc. or plain cardstock, torn into 1" squares
Blender
1tsp cornstarch(sizing)
cookie sheet
cooking spray
Any embelleshments (seeds, flowers, etc)
1. Fill blender with the torn cardstock. Add enough water to cover the top of your cardstock
2. Add 1 tsp cornstarch to the paper and water mixture and blend at a high speed until well mixed.
3. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and then wipe it clean with a paper towel.*Note: the film left from the spray will allow you to remove your paper easily when dry, but won't leave an oily residue.
4. Pour mixture onto cookie sheet...this is when you can add any embelleshments. 1/8 inch thick, the pulp should be spread. (Unless you want a thicker piece, then drying time will be longer)
5. Soak up any excess water with a paper towel.*Note: Drying time depends on thickness and room tempature.
6. When the paper is completely dry, remove it carefully from the cookie sheet.

I have recycled wrapping paper, telephone book pages, flyers, and envelopes from junk mail. Try using cookie cutters as a mold. Try using string thruout the paper, add sparkles, Emboss with the heel of your sneaker...anything , everything...Play and create!

amanda
12-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all that info. I'll try the spray starch thing before I spend too much getting the sizing. There's not too many places where you can buy art supplies here in Perth and those places I can buy them are hard to get to! I appreciate all that you wrote.:D

TeAnne
12-02-2002, 03:41 AM
I did a lot of papermaking in Geraldton. When I moved I got rid of all my tools ie; blender, screen, tub etc. I miss doing it now.
I used to put dried grated skins a passionfruit seeds in mine :D Leaves everything. It was fun :D

swtp
12-29-2002, 11:37 AM
hi amanda
i LOVE papermaking-- its so much fun and the results are always surprising-- i have done alot of casting too and that is equally as cool--- you can use practically anything as a mold-- shells, margarine tins-- large plastic bowls make really neat paper bowls that can be painted or collaged or ???

i made some incredible paper out of the weeds in my backyard- find a copy of helen heiberts book---PAPERMAKING WITH PLANTS its a MUST for any serious papermaker

here is a good place that has tons of papermaking links
http://www.artfarm.com/papier.html

be prepared for water to be EVERYWHERE-- have ALOT of old towels on hand-- thankfully i can work on my backporch most of the time as i live in florida and the weather is accomodating--

anxious to see your results so post them when you get your first batch--
experiment and throw anything in the pulp-- glitter, cut up flowers, leaves, yarn, dried leaves,
i also used dryer lint-- it is very hard on the blender so only use a very small amount to mix ---- the paper comes out very soft

cut up an old t shirt into VERY SMALL pieces and throw that into the blender with ALOT of water-- it too is hard on the blender so dont get too much in-- this paper comes out like a soft rag and has beautiful color to it-- i used a red t shirt and an aqua one-- the sheets are very small due to the small amt of cotton fiber added but u could also add the fiber to your paper pulp and have flecks of the t shirt in the paper-- that is pretty neat too

i used clothes dye for coloring-- used to mix it up but now just simply add it from the jar right into the pulp-- RIT works just fine- - also food coloring but you dont get the dynamic colors with food coloring that you do with clothes dye--

good luck - and HAVE FUN

amanda
12-30-2002, 05:57 AM
Thanks so much for you tips. I will be trying out some more paper making in the coming weeks. I've made two batches so far throwing in most of the things youve suggested here except for dryer lint (I don't have one) and t-shirt material. I'll give those a try sometime too. Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions. I'll post some pics of my results sometime soon.:D

lhewett
12-31-2002, 08:29 PM
I never did Papermaking until I attending a workshop at Penland School of Crafts in NC. Loved it then and have ever since. Try using the fuzzy part of a dried cat-tail plant. That makes one of my favorite papers. The sheets are beautiful. "Back then" my hair was darker than it is now! LOL! I cut some of it into short pieces and added it into the slurry. Just the hair and the white cotton linters made the most beautiful paper I had ever seen. It looked as if it had been randomly marked with very short and fine pencil marks - millions of them to be exact. People were trying to guess what my secret ingredient was. Some were "turned off" to discover it was actual hair. Try it! Be bold and experiment. If you don't like it, so what? It's only paper. (If I have posted this twice, excuse me. This is my first time!) Happy New Year.

amanda
12-31-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey, what a great idea! I'll have to try that one out. My biggest problem at the moment is that the blender I was 'borrowing' had to go back to where it came from so now I'm 'blenderless'! Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a cheap one sometime soon. Thanks for your tip, it's appreciated.