PDA

View Full Version : Home-made pastel boxes

Taminka
11-26-2002, 08:18 PM
I know a lot of you have great pastel boxes but they are hard to come by in Australia, so Iíve made my own. Just acquired a digital camera so can now show you.
Iíve used fome-core covered with contact paper, for strength and so I can wipe them clean with a damp cloth. Dividers are removable and also covered in contact.

The trays are made so 2 fit on my little movable table. I made some extras to allow for the inevitable expansion :evil: and all slide into a box. Its all quite light (except for the rice) and remarkably rigid and strong.

Not sure how to post more than one pic at once so will post separately (until I learn more) Have also included a pic of my working set up.

Cheers
Minky

Taminka
11-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Next one

Taminka
11-26-2002, 08:47 PM
My working set up

KarenU
11-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Hey Minky...you did get started on the flower we chatted about! ;) It's looking good! I like your setup for pastel storage, seems like it would be strong but light weight. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

If you want to include more than one picture in your post....here is what I do....

Click on the uploader and do the upload business. When it returns the filename of the uploaded image, I copy the filename and paste it into my notepad. Then I click on uploader again and go through the same process, uploading as many images as I need for my post and copying each one into my notepad after the previous one.

When I'm finished uploading my images, I compose my post and copy and paste the image names into my post from my notepad.

Hope this helps! :D

Taminka
11-26-2002, 10:49 PM
Thanks Karen - I'll try that method next time.
I didn't do all that since we chatted!!! I had already been working on it yesterday!!!! Will post the finished pic when its done

Cheers
Minky

kck
11-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Yes, making one's own is a great way to have the right thing for yourself.
I used 1/4" wood for sides and dividers, and the bottom and lid as well.
The trouble is, I didn't know exactly what my organizational method would be, yet, when I first made them. Now, I need to make more. This time, I've found 1/8" wood.

Caron
11-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Looks like a great setup and LOVE your workspace!!
Got a question tho as I dont use pastels yet(just bought me some to try..)Are that many pastels necessary?

Taminka
11-29-2002, 04:58 PM
"Necessary" - that's an interesting word Caron!!
You do need more than with tube paints coz you don't mix on a palette. Starting with a good sized mixed set is fine, but the "bug" gets you. Every time I do a new project I seem to add a few more. When I started I had a set of 48 and managed just fine!

Also depends on how varied your subjects are. I started out just adding greens and browns because I was doing rainforests, but then I started flowers....!

So the answer is no you don't NEED so many, but .....you never have enough!!!
Your pets would be gorgeous in pastel

CheersMinky

Anna Marie
11-29-2002, 05:02 PM
Are that many pastel necessary? oh yess you'll get hooked into this dastardly game. You'll love your first small set then you'll visit an art shop and be drawn into a corner. Your just going to look and then someone pulls open a drawer and you get to see all the beautiful colours and then this evil person might go so far as take one out and show you how it looks against a particular colour pastel paper. and then thats it you become a pastel junky like the rest of us.....

Caron
11-29-2002, 05:10 PM
lol Oh my gosh!!!
Well, I must say when I first starting painting in acrylic, I was buying all kinds of colours just cause they looked so great!!! then I would bring them home and like you , put them in my colour co-ordinated drawers and stand back so pleased with myself...:)
Now I use only a small handful and mix the rest that is needed for that particular painting. But the temptation is there everytime I venture into the art store!
The set I bought is 24 Prismacolor Nupastel hard sticks. I figured shaving them down and using in a powderform, why couldnt I just mix my colours as I do now and apply with shapers? Would that not work??
I have to admit though, the display that has them ALL out is impressive and I found I had to touch!....:D

Koert
12-01-2002, 06:07 AM
If you have worked with pastels and go to an art supplies shop
just stand next to the pastels there and listen for a moment. You'll notice that they're all crying and screaming that they so much want to go home with you.
Me being the kind person i am...
...i have a very bad relationship with my bankaccount

JohnnyRed
12-01-2002, 06:22 AM
I do so associate myself to the above comments. Pastels are addictive, I'm sure it's breathing in the dust. Yes, those little coloured sticks DO cry out to be taken and made into a picture.

When I first started, I just bought a pack of 20 sticks, then felt I needed more, then more and even MORE! Then the problem came, how do I store them? My wife came to the rescue! She bought a nest of wooden trays for the kitchen. EUREKA!! I "aquired" the larger one, then went down to the DIY store and bought some hardboard and cut it into strips, then cut slots so they fitted into each other, and Hey presto! My very first pastel tray! I then aquired some foam and placed this in the bottom. The slots in the handles were taped up to prevent the pastels in those particular compartments dropping out. My pastel tray was then complete.

I've attached a photo of this tray. I now have a purpose bilt tray with a lid and carrying handle that I use, so my first one is used soley for storing odds and ends.