PDA

View Full Version : McKayla Hangin' on the Fence.

flippedlid
10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi, I thought while I was waiting for my friend to decide how he wants me to proceed on his painting; I would paint another portrait of my daughter.

The objective of this one was to try and capture the intense sun and shadows. This was a lot tougher than I figured on and I still want to work on it, but want to be careful at this point or I'm gonna start getting mud.

Image size is 8"x10" on Arches 140lb. cold press.

Thanks for viewing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2010/178704-100_3256.JPG

virgil carter
10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Flippedid, I'm not a portrait or figures painter, but I am a colorist. You've got a wonderful painting here. The composition, the color intensities (do I have to mention values too?) and application skill are just wonderful and captivating.

Nit: her left arm looks a little pale compared to her face.

Well done!

Sling paint,

Virgil

Max Whitten
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Flippedid,

I agree with Virgil, about the left arm color; otherwise the colors are exiting; the light source constant and values work well; an interesting composition.

Max

CharM
10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I love this portrait... and I think you'd get a lot from Jan Kunz's book, Painting Watercolor Portraits That Glow... it's a favourite resource book of mine...

Violetta
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Todd, you've got another winner here. You captured very well the excitement in her facial expression as well as a bit of--dare I say--devilment in her eyes. I like the play of shadows and light on her face. She is a delightful child and her dad's pride comes through in the painting.

flippedlid
10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Virgil. Good eye, I saw that and have warmed it up.

Thanks, Max. I appreciate the feedback

Thanks, Char. Books?? What are those?? :) Just kiddin', Thanks for the info, I will be checking it out. Though, I find for myself that I learn better by trial and error.

flippedlid
10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Judy. I must have just missed ya. You guessed the devilment part...though she can be quite the precious child.