PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Bound

J.Dillon
04-10-2000, 07:57 PM
Here's an old one I did years ago. Is the boat too bright for the depicted weather ? Thanks http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=259042&a=1928336&p=17066876&Sequence=0

jazzm
04-10-2000, 08:10 PM
I love this piece J.Dillon...I love the movement of the sea and the turbulent sky..perhaps you could have toned down the boat and the crew a little ...
its a lovely piece of work .. Jazzm

bruin70
04-11-2000, 01:50 AM
it might be,,,,but then again, if you darkened it, you might lose it. the blue is a bit too much......milt

sandyartist
04-11-2000, 02:40 AM
J...m'man...here's a "gurls" take on this...you be knowin'...we KY artists know zip about the sailin' thingy...OK? This is coming from purely an artistic evaluation...it would appear to me..never, repeat never, havin' done a maritime anythin'...that the wave highlights would be about the same value as the lights on the deck..can't say where the light source is from lookin'..but it appears to me that the deck of the vessel has more light than the top o' the waves, 'n I don' know why..should they not be about the same value..jus' wonderin'......SAndy

sandyartist
04-11-2000, 02:45 AM
an' would the yellow of the slickers be quite that bright? dunno, not bein' a seafarin' man m'self...actually not even a man...jus' curious as to the intensity and value of the yellow...educate me if I am in error..Sandy

arlene
04-11-2000, 09:53 AM
Sandy,
Having done some sailing in my younger days,
I can say the slickers are that bright. They do actually have a touch more red in the color, but yes that bright.
The only thing that bothers me is the white, I feel it fights for attention with the rest of the picture

paintfool
04-11-2000, 11:37 AM
J.Dillon, beautiful painting! I think that yes, perhaps the boat is a bit bright for that weather, however, as Bruin has stated, to darken it much may lose it as a focal point, I would rather see the clouds lightened a bit in order to depict the light source.knowing that you've done them that way as to emphasize the severity of the weather, i still believe that you can add some whites & lighter greys to create some 'breaks' in the clouds & still have the ominus storm effect. Then take the tones of the boat down just a slight bit...Kind of like a meeting in the middle sort of thing....only my opinion.Being in Florida, i've experienced storms of this magnitude & you've captured that SCARY feeling quite well!! Cheryl

J.Dillon
04-11-2000, 05:20 PM
Thanks all for your input. I think I will tone down the blue & white a bit. Maybe put a deeper shadow where the jib( first sail) over laps the stay sail (middle sail in this pix). The foul weather gear is intended to be bright as it aids in visability if your overboard.

In the mean time I am going to try something different and never attempted before a "nude". After all a sailor does have to come ashore some time. JD

sandyartist
04-11-2000, 05:56 PM
JD..go for it..nothin' like a nude to get the...uh...creative juices flowin'...you must, after so many weeks asea..show us the end result..no pun intended.have taken note on bright slickers...had I been overboard, would definitely want to be clad in one of those!!

henrik
04-11-2000, 07:41 PM
Hi, I played around with the painting a little bit... Here it is, and below you will find what I did and why.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/bermuda-hl1.jpg
<UL>
I thought the blue in the water interfered to much with the blue in the boat. I also thought that the blue in the water was too blue to match with the sky. So... I changed the color of the water to a more green color (actually it is a pretty sickening green now, but you can see the effect of removing the blue makes the boat stand out more clearly)
I had probleb with where the light was coming from. The stern of the boat indicates that the light is coming from the left, the lightning on the clouds indicate that it is high - the shadowing on the boat (and figures) is inconsistent with the other two - it looks like frontal light). I decided that light was coming from 10o'clock high and then changed the lightning on the boat.
The sails looked very stiff and gray - almost like they were made of concrete or stone so I lightened them.
[/list]
The editing is pretty sloppy, and some of the stormy wheater feel of the water got lost. Anyway, the 10'oclock position of light is just an option, the lightning on the boat to some extent looks like a 4 o'clock light source - but then the sails and clouds would have to be different.

sandyartist
04-12-2000, 01:31 AM
By George..I think you have got it!! This is an improvement..good painting now that you have, graciously, I might add...allowed us to tinker with it! Does it suit you in its present incarnation?

pixelscapes
04-13-2000, 12:45 AM
Right, that's about what I was going to suggest. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I know the sails are soaked (or do sails GET soaked?) but I was going to say, that I would expect more white in them if the white of the boat is that white... unless the sails were actually gray to start with. The light edge you seem to have added helps draw out the brightness of the boat without killing the focal point, or making it too out of place.

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes

pixelscapes
04-13-2000, 12:46 AM
Oh, and I wanted to say... the new white on the sails is a bit blurry/misty and suddenly now I have the impression that it's raining. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Great work!

mark71565
04-21-2000, 04:52 PM
JD,
As you must know by now, I am a big fan of your work (and the sea), and this has got to be my favorite piece to date!

Henrik's rendition looks "wetter," but I like your bright blues and yellows better. oops, I made a rhyme. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mark