PDA

View Full Version : When work isn't framed?

Yve Gal~
10-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi, I was wondering what others do when their work isn't framed yet? Right now pieces that I finished I have in a portfolio binder thing lol. I don't really like insertng them in there because some of the pastel comes off sometimes or has even been smeared when a page was turned :eek: ! I personally am not a fan of fixative... However, I can't afford to frame all my work right now... I am curious what others do when your work is finished but can't be framed just yet?

Oh, btw I have little one's in the house so I can't have my pieces laying around (maybe someday :crossfingers: )

allydoodle
10-12-2010, 09:42 AM
For me, if I'm not ready to frame it right now, I'll mat it, then sandwich it between two foam core pieces. It keeps anything from rubbing the surface, and I can stack them for storage. If it's not worth framing, I just rub off the image (if it's on sandpaper), and use it to paint another "masterpiece" :lol: on. I paint pretty often, so if I saved everthing that wasn't frame worthy, I'd have too much to store, and my thinking is, if it isn't frame worthy, then I'm not gonna sell it, so why keep it? Unless I want to keep a 'history' to see my progress on something. One example of this is, I attend weekly portrait workshops, and I don't frame 99% of these, but I do keep them to track my progress. I just neatly stack these on a shelf in my studio, clipped together with a binder clip so they don't rub. They stay intact pretty well, the binder clip does work.

But, if you're not ready to frame, but do want to keep it for later, then matting and sandwiching between foam core works really well.

Dcam
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi: glassine paper can be bought in sheets for protection in between paintings. I've put up big sheets of homosote panels in the studio (like bulletin boards) and I hang the works until ready to frame or matt. It gives me the chance to see my progress as well.
Good Luck, Derek

DAK723
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Here are some previous threads on the topic:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316729

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503692

Hope this helps!

Don

Colourist52
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi, I buy sheets of glassine paper and when I finish a painting I usually fold a sheet in half and put the piece inside it and then fold the glassine over at the edges. It is important to keep paintings flat until they are framed. I have a cupboard with shelves that I keep my finished pieces in before they are framed, and then I lay the glassine covered paintings on the shelves. One shelf each for landscapes, still life, seascapes etc.

Yve Gal~
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Thank you! I found a local art store that sells the glassine paper in sheets :) Now I am just debating whether to get tracing paper too...

Allydoodle this may sound like a silly question, but when you mat the works do you use any kind of spacers? I mean do you mat it the same way you would prior to having it framed? or no?

allydoodle
10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Not a silly question at all. Sometimes I do use a spacer, sometimes I don't. If it is something that will probably end up in a frame, and is bigger than 5x7, then I always use a spacer. If it is 5x7 or smaller, I don't always use a spacer. It depends on how much pastel is on the paper. If it has quite a lot, then a spacer, if it is more like a sketch, then no spacer, because it is quite small. If it is something I know won't end up in a frame, then I don't use a spacer, as I'm just keeping it for my own reference. :D

Paula Ford
10-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I use tracing paper. It works and it's cheaper than glassine (the last time I looked anyway).

kathrynlovespets
10-12-2010, 10:40 PM
use wax paper

Paula Ford
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I disagree. Wax paper will pull the pastel off of the surface. I would not suggest using wax paper.

allydoodle
10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree with Paula and I second NOT using wax paper. Tracing paper works very well, and I've used that too. Wax paper will attract and pull the pastel off the painting.

scall0way
10-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I am curious what others do when your work is finished but can't be framed just yet? :lol: Can't be framed *yet*? That describes 99% of my work. More like "will never ever be framed" - 1) I can't afford to frame everything, 2) I would have no room to put framed works - I'd need to live in a giant McMansion to have enough wall space for all my paintings. I actually put glassine bags which I insert my paintings into, and then store them all, stacked, in dresser drawers.

Yve Gal~
10-15-2010, 03:34 AM
I bought some glassine paper at a local art store and it works well, but I was a little disapointed that it was not very "clear" at all... Is it maybe just the brand the art store uses? The pastel does not stick though so I am grateful for that :thumbsup:

Thx for the advice on wax paper. Baking sheet/wax paper actually did run through my mind, but I think when I run out of the glassine sheets I will buy some tracing paper. A whole pad of it was on sale the other day for less than 2 bucks!

I know Scalloway I wish I had the room and $$ to frame more works, but for now keeping an archive is fun too! I am hoping one day I can pass on some of my stuff to my kids :heart:

Potoma
10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
For the best of both worlds, stick your paintings in a pad of tracing paper. It will store the the whole painting safely (vs. just the surface with a loose piece of tracing paper or glassine) and your works can be all in one location as well.

robertsloan2
10-15-2010, 08:32 PM
What I used to do back in New Orleans with almost everything was mat it and then shrink wrap it. That was as good as framing for all the mediums I used. Today I'd probably use clearbags. But I'm also using a pastel journal I made from a watercolor journal, just putting Colourfix primer on the 140lb watercolor paper pages and taping a glassine insert to the end of each sheet to fold over the finished paintings.