PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pastels

Sweet725
10-11-2010, 05:13 AM
I was curious on peoples experiences and findings with pan pastels - I own the landscape set and have some others, as well as wanting some others like the tints, and shades. Also noticed they added trays, any one use these and find them to be user friendly?

I use soft tools with them but still seem to get alot of dust and I'm using Mi tients paper (maybe i need more tooth?) I'm open to suggestions and any ideas for better use. I wanted to do a landscape done with just pan pastel but ended up having to add my Rembrandt/Unison pastels to get more detail.

I really like the idea of them and would like to get more use out of them.

Colorix
10-11-2010, 06:04 AM
More than you ever wanted to know, I suspect, is in this mastodont thread. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6195321#post6195321)

Studio-1-F
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I believe that thread is a World Record. ;)

Anyway, in addition to Mastodont Thread, there are some very nice vids linked from this page: http://www.panpastel.com/learn.html

RE: Paper --> I recommend that you get yourself a snippet of Pastelmat paper and see how you enjoy the PanPastels on that.

Jan

gdlantz
10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I am also playing with the panpastels on different paper and I found that the pastelmat and the art spectrum colorfix paper are my favorite with the panpastels. I also use other tools along with the soft tools, like brushes, different textures of cloth, and what ever else I can find that works. If I do detail work with the panpastels, I also use pastel pencils with them, but for landscapes and sunrises, I just use the pans. I have all my pans in the trays now and love having them in the trays. I am self teaching myself the pans, so for me it's just trial and error. Hope this helps.
Ginger

Lynndidj
10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Yes on the trays - they make a huge difference. Yes also on the Art Spectrum colorfix and on the Pastelmat. And that huge thread - it is awesome!

Lynn

robertsloan2
10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Pam, on the PastelMat paper it'll go a lot easier than on mi-tientes. I've used them even on sketchbook paper but mi-tientes is about comparable to that. Sanded papers like Colourfix are good too but chew up the sponges and especially knife covers a lot faster.

Enjoy the mastodont thread, I did.