PDA

View Full Version : A Sketch Page

MichaelRH
04-04-2000, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone..
Just thought I'd post one of my sketch pages. This one, by the looks of it, was done a few years ago. It was drawn with red pencil primarily..some additions in ink..or blue pencil.
It was done on my standard 11" X 14" Strathmore sketch book. Thought I'd post for all of you who like to draw or sketch..I find it valuable..and often..my paintings are the result of ideas I put down in these brief little studies.
Resource material, in this case, was everything from studying someone else's painting..to magazine photos..to some ideas of my own.
Hope the quality here is ok..not sure until I paste to this page.
(See you all at the Cafe...MichaelRH) [ http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Smallersketch.jpg

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited April 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited April 04, 2000).]

cagathoc
04-04-2000, 03:22 PM
Awesome, Michael! I like the way you've arranged the different pictures on the page; I'd like to be able to see the whole page at once... The hands are great but my favorite is the older lady and the boy at the bottom of the page - very soulful. Beautiful work.

What a treat!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited April 04, 2000).]

henrik
04-04-2000, 06:25 PM
Michael - man - you are good!

william
04-04-2000, 08:58 PM
Michael... I think you have the little thing that a lot (the most)of people laks in this forum.
Skill to draw...
A good draw gives a good painting. But if the
draw is not Ok....
people often just care about the brushes and
they never leave the stuck where they are...
You do good... Keep on

kayemme
04-04-2000, 09:03 PM
michael..

simply beautiful. i especially enjoy the older woman in the lower right corner. your style very much reminds me of my favorite art professor. he always made us carry around our handy dandy hardbacked strathmore sketch pad and required us to fill pages with images, regardless of composition because we were sketching. he stressed the importance of basic drawing and not making a masterpiece every time you lay your pencil to paper... i think it's a hangup we get often because we only see finished work from other artists, it's easy to forget the hundreds of sketches and doodles and thumbnails and screw ups and trash we make to get that one gem.

thank you for sharing your sketchbook!!!

------------------
km (http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/kmarion/)

kayemme
04-04-2000, 09:04 PM
whoops! double entry..

[This message has been edited by kayemme (edited April 04, 2000).]

janet
04-04-2000, 09:14 PM
Michael, you have good drawing skills.
I especially like the way you drew the
hands. I find it difficult to draw hands.
I guess it is a good idea to keep a sketchbook and then look back at it and
refer to it as you progress. good work!

Kimber74
04-04-2000, 09:27 PM
Thanks Michael for posting that. I'm a sketch addict. There's something to be said for sketching for the sake of sketching alone. My best ideas always come when I'm not trying. It's always great to catch a glimpse of someone else's sketches. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif Keep it up!

MichaelRH
04-05-2000, 04:03 AM
You are all very kind..and thank you so much for your comments.
As you can guess by now..I enjoy drawing.
Now..my goal is just to paint..and once painting is as enjoyable as drawing and sketching are..I will be doing much more painting than drawing.
I seem to place sketches on a level equal to painting, but I know that something in me sees more of an opportunity to SELL paintings rather than drawings...and so I work at learning to draw with paint.
Again...I don't feel draftsmanship is a prerequisite for making exceptional paintings. But..I can guarantee most of you that you will see results over time...and see results MUCH quicker..if you sketch a lot.
I wish I could condense a few important classes I had, and share them with you. I was amazed what instructors could do with a medium toned paper, a charcoal pencil, and a white conte pencil..
The only suggestions I can offer...enjoy your art/take the pressure off yourself/and if you can see yourself making beautiful drawings and paintings...you no doubt WILL make them at some point. (comments from a relatively late starter!!!!)
I see the work of MANY talented people here..and LOTS of progress on all levels.
It is nice to see that many of you like to look at sketches..as much as I do. (I can't thank all the instructors I've had..but Nixson Borah, Harry Carmean, and Richard Egan..(to name a few)..I appreciate what you shared with me.

cagathoc
04-05-2000, 10:18 AM
Michael,

Thanks for the good advice! I'd like to clip this page of sketches for my board at work, is that ok?

Cindy

figgby
04-05-2000, 10:29 AM
Nice work michael. I have always preferred b&w. Never understood why until a fine painter, like yourself, told me the sophisticated eye doe not need color. Carry on. I also agree about the older woman, nice job. very interesting.

MichaelRH
04-05-2000, 04:22 PM
Cindy...absolutely...go ahead and put it up..(But to give credit to one where credit is due)--the old woman was actually based on a painting by Burt Silverman (I have one of his books!)...a beautiful color painting. I feel like one of the people we all see in art museums...who have sketch pad on their lap..COPYING work we admire.

Thanks also..henrik and figgby!!..I too like black and white..don't know how I happened to wind-up preferring red, blue, and graphite pencil...just convenient, and the red and blue do not smudge as much...initially, so I can go from a very light "rough" sketch with both red and/or blue (hummm..red is warm..blue is cool-might have something to do with it), and when there are lines (and shadows) that I've established that I LIKE...I can re-state them with the graphite pencil. You can also really achieve a nice line quality with all three. I should have a pastel drawing posted in my gallery soon..and I believe at the the time..I drew the underlying drawing with a charcoal pencil. (fig,are you SURE it was ME that told you "the sophisticated eye does not need color"?????) I love color...but YOU know how many values can be simplified..and stated when working in both directions from the clearly stated three--(dark, light, and middle tones). I didn't know what kind of response I'd get by posting a "sketch"-page...thanks again everyone for all of your comments and thoughts. Michael

msue
04-05-2000, 05:52 PM
Michael, Great sketches. I keep a small sketch pad in my purse and a larger one in a backpack in my car at all times. My problem is I'm usually stuck somewhere with nothing I find interesting enough to draw so I end up drawing whatever comes out of the pencil. Sometimes they are good and some times they are pretty odd. Hmmmmm kinda like my brain. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

sandyartist
04-06-2000, 10:54 AM
Nice drawin's Michael! I am a firm believer that all great painting is based upon a great drawing...actually, I love drawing in and of itself!! Unfortunately, many artists think they can bypass this element and still have great painting..mebbe, if you are doing very abstract, etc. pieces.....as for those interested in doin' more realistic work, this is necessary and you do it very well. I , too, carry a sketchbook everywhere..someday, I will take them apart and have an exhibition.."Travels with the Artist"...lol. As well as you see line and are looking for a way to translate that to painting..closely related I might add...why not use pastel? Best of both worlds!! While I love oil, my first and strongest affinity is to pastel, which came out of my love of drawing..I think it would work for you too! After 20 years workin' with pastel, I am jus' now learning the calligraphy of the brush..no easy feat, just the next level. It appears to me, that as well as you draw, pastels would be a natural..keep on keepin' on...you have great potential, the drawings are very sensitive..and Burt is a great teacher..can't go wrong there!

MichaelRH
04-06-2000, 11:26 AM
Hi Sandyartist...thought I'd go ahead and post this pastel. The model is a very good friend...and I shot a number of rolls of 35mm film at a location in the California desert called "Indian Cove"-(very near Joshua Tree).
This pastel was drawn from reference photos...the temperature (by mid-day) was about 106 degrees..and needless to say, "M" managed to get very sun-burned.
Wanted to show you that I have worked in pastels..but not recently, this was done about 11 years ago..and pastels were a medium I enjoyed early on..(but have been very interested in progressing in oils. (Still have a very nice..LARGE box of pastels)..but just don't know if I will get back to them.
(Hope no one is offended by this study!!).."M" was VERY relaxed during the shoot..it was I...that was a bit nervous..often tossing my wrap to "M" as the park ranger would appear in the distance.
Have done quite a few drawings based on the rolls of film I shot that day. This pastel actually appeared in a show I had at Fullerton City College..(a FEW!!!!!!! years back) Sandyartist..hope to catch you in the cafe..Michael http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/IndianCove.jpg

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited April 06, 2000).]

Greybear
04-06-2000, 09:00 PM
Great sketches and pastel Mike. Look foward to seeing more!

sandyartist
04-07-2000, 09:46 AM
Michael...love the feel of this piece! Warm, and very bold..can't understand why anyone would be offended..I've done many, many nudes and love the human figure better than anything! I understand your anxiety over the park ranger...lol! Looks like you used canson paper for the painting..I have, pretty much abandoned it for the Wallis and sanded papers..that way you do not get the "sketchy" effect and the end result looks more like a painting than a drawing..in a photo, many people cannot tell which are pastels and which are oils. You may want to drag out that box of pastels and try them on one of these papers...it's a whole different animal! I will see you in the cafe as soon as this @%*+!!! horse painting is finished..deadlines, y'know.

MichaelRH
04-07-2000, 11:09 AM
Sandyartist....Okok...HOW....did you know it was Canson???? (Great eye!!)..yes..you can see the neutral tone of the background..but...but I am still amazed!! that you can tell it was Canson..(and from a computer image no less!!!!

P.S. Sandy..post more pastels..I LOVE your work, and would love to see more figures.
(a fan!!!) Michael

sandyartist
04-07-2000, 03:24 PM
Michael..guess I have done hundreds of studies on that warm gray canson!! I knew the color immediately..it was my standard..no voodoo in the seeing. I have, per your request, posted another figure piece..although the photo was a bit darker than the original..don't think I could have pulled off this kind of light on canson, which is why I no longer use it, except for an occassional study...be glad to offer any help I can if you want to try the new papers..thanks for the kudos..made m'day!

jazzm
04-10-2000, 03:02 PM
Michal.. the sketch is wonderful....i sketch a lot even when I'm in work because its the foundation of a good painter...The pastel is great...a typical pose of a very relaxed sunbather on a scorching day!...top marks..see you soon in the cafe....Jazzm