PDA

View Full Version : My first pastel

oleCC
03-31-2000, 09:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/firstpastel1.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I am very new to pastels, and it is quite a switch from watercolor !! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks all...... Carol (about an inch is missing from the right side)

[This message has been edited by oleCC (edited March 31, 2000).]

Gisela
03-31-2000, 10:42 PM
Carol,
Your FIRST pastel??? You get an "Atta Girl!" for this one. Beautiful job!! I wish my first had looked this good...or my tenth...or...LOL! Very nice.
Don't you just love pastels? You obviously have a feel for the medium!

Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

llis
03-31-2000, 11:08 PM
WOW ...Carol...you amaze me. You really have some more talent. I just wonder what you will tackle next?

msue
03-31-2000, 11:18 PM
Honestly can say it took my breath. WOW!! Wish my pastel attempts were a 10th this good.

CrowsNest
03-31-2000, 11:22 PM
Absolutely amazing!! Lighting is wonderful and so is your reflections. A very splendid job!!

Bryan

figgby
03-31-2000, 11:33 PM
cool pic ole.

oleCC
03-31-2000, 11:52 PM
Thanks loads for all the compliments...I really do appreciate them. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS: My daughter (ArtistGlenda) is showing me how to do pastels..and she is really good, not that I am prejudiced of course.

[This message has been edited by oleCC (edited March 31, 2000).]

MichaelRH
04-01-2000, 05:43 AM
Carol...what a beautiful drawing... I like how you have used dark pastels (BLACK?!) to give the piece depth...to the right of the structure, and off to the right in the wooded area. You have also used the darker pastel tones to convey the shadows in the foreground, middle-ground, and about center. Again, it appears that you used at least very dark pastels in all of these areas, and they give your scene a lot of depth. (Not to mention you have handled the reflections on the surface of the water very!!!!!! well.
AND.....one more thing...you have a very good eye for color...golds-GREENS..all very nice to look at!!! Michael

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited April 01, 2000).]

oleCC
04-01-2000, 07:42 AM
Thank you much Michael...think my daughter should take the bows here though, she is a
good teacher.

Carol

henrik
04-01-2000, 08:10 AM
Beautiful!
(but I just have to find something to point out...)
I think the surface of the water looks like it is curved downward as it gets closer to us. Do you also see this?

arlene
04-01-2000, 11:06 AM
oh good Henrik.
I thought I was the only one who saw it.
It does appear to curve downward.
I think it's the way she used the dark for shading the water. I think the dark needs to be straighter.
Excellent job!

cagathoc
04-01-2000, 01:07 PM
Georgeous work!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

paintfool
04-01-2000, 01:25 PM
Carol, what a beautiful peice! I've just purchased my first pastels. Now that i've seen yours i'm really excited about them! You've inspired me! Thanks, Cheryl

Mich451
04-01-2000, 01:29 PM
The sunlight is so inviting.

kayemme
04-01-2000, 04:09 PM
hi!

the only thing i think needs more definition is the lower left corner. i'm pretty sure it's a bush in the foreground, but it might be a tree we may not be able to see behind the upper left margin..

it's a stunning piece of work.

oleCC
04-01-2000, 09:31 PM
Henrik...Yes, I SEE! Thank you and I can fix that I think.

Kay..that bush bothers me too, it looked like that in the photo, but I could and should have changed it.. thanks for giving me the push I needed to do it lol

Cheryl....You go girl..it was messy but fun!
Thank you all very much - knew I could count on my "buds" at WC !
Carol

RyderArt
04-01-2000, 10:06 PM
Carol....
WOW! Your first pastel????
Ok..now you get to give me watercolor lessons and Artistglenda gets to give me pastel lessons!!!
I have been painting in pastels for almost 5 years...and still have not accomplished getting really good light into my work. You have done such a good job with that aspect of the scene.
Once the water is straightened and the bush clarified...you will have a masterpiece!!!
Pastels are soooo much fun. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I open up my "many" boxes of pastels. The variation in colors and choice of colors is sooo wonderful. And they feel so good to use. I really feel like they are an extension of me when I work. So for those who have not tried them...you don't know what you are missing.

Keep up the good work Carol.

Stephanie

henrik
04-02-2000, 12:50 AM
Here I marked some of the lines in the water that create the rounded effect... some very small changes should fix this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/firstpastel1-hl1.jpg

babsalaba2
04-02-2000, 10:46 AM
Simply gorgeous! I love your use of color. It has actually inspired me to go up and drag out my pastels today.

If this is your first, I can't imagine what you 101st will look like!

babs

henrik
04-02-2000, 04:40 PM
Carol, the lower left corner undefined green bush works for me - everything does not have to be defined - if you do decide to work on it watch out so it does not steal focus.

arlene
04-02-2000, 05:23 PM
i agree with henrik about the bush

oleCC
04-03-2000, 01:38 PM
Gotcha Henrik....I sprayed the piece with fixative, but understand I can go back into it again, and then re-spray (outdoors)...when done I will re-post and see if I did right!
Thanks again.... Carol http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS These pastels sure go faster than my watercolors !

sandyartist
04-05-2000, 11:24 AM
Ole! Ole. Wish my students first efforts were this good! In looking at the piece, it appears that you used white paper to start with?..this makes working with pastel difficult..next time start with a mid-value colored paper such as Mi-Teintes, in say, for this painting, a blue-gray...then you won't have to work sooo hard to get the values and color right. I don't know what kind of pastels you are using, but the softer one such as Sennelier, Unison and Schminke make the work easier to execute, especially the laying on of last color and detail. As for the spraying of fixative..use it, if necessary, mid way through the painting and never at the end! If you spray the final effort, the colors will darken, strokes will show through in blended areas which then become somewhat transparent...you will then have to go back and touch up areas the fixative has darkened. Go very lightly with that stuff. I rarely use it at all, prefering to use sanded paper or Wallis paper which have enough tooth to hold the pastel without fixatives..try one of these and see the difference. Hope you will continue to work with pastel!!

oleCC
04-05-2000, 10:18 PM
Sandy....I used off white velour paper and rembrandt pastels. Thanks for the info..I will put it to good use! Thank you all !
Carol

tammy
04-06-2000, 12:38 AM
I think its beeeautiful. Just beautiful!

william
04-09-2000, 12:11 AM
Hi oleCC I just hope this is the first of a great row ;0)