PDA

View Full Version : still life critique

sandyartist
04-05-2000, 10:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lwfpearcop.JPG

This still life was done from life over a period of 4 days..had to fight the bees from the fruit, but the sense of warmth and light were what I was after. Comments? sorry the photo is so large..still learnin' how to do this techno stuff.

[This message has been edited by sandyartist (edited April 05, 2000).]

Deb
04-05-2000, 10:57 AM
I think it is absolutely beautiful. Made me feel like picking up one of those apples and taking a bite while enjoying the warm sun.

william
04-05-2000, 08:06 PM
very beatifull Sandy....
hoew do you achive the deep dark in the background?
Love the greens too...
And the reds also( a color I dislike and never use).

If you ar looking for critique... I don't have.
If you want an applause... I give you them all from the bottom of my hearth.

Ps.
Teache me watercolor and I will make you a photo editing wizard ;0)

[This message has been edited by william (edited April 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by william (edited April 05, 2000).]

Drew Davis
04-05-2000, 10:34 PM
The metal is fabulous.

henrik
04-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Exquisite!
Have to spend more time looking at this piece - it is simply beaturiful...

cagathoc
04-06-2000, 12:12 AM
lovely work!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

arlene
04-06-2000, 12:14 AM
Comments?

It's absolutely wonderful. They look good enough to eat. Another beautiful job.

kayemme
04-06-2000, 04:09 AM
sandi,
is the piece this contrasted in real life?

i really enjoy the overall composition.
the copper is painted exquisitely, but the glass could use (maybe) a little more opaque white or dark white in spots, especially on the left side of the glass where it meets with the dark portion of the background (you think?)

you know, you don't leave a lot to critique.
it's really not making my job very easy.

------------------
km (http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/kmarion/)

J.Dillon
04-06-2000, 08:40 AM
Sandy, It looks so good on my computer screen that the bees are buzzing around here. Can I take a bite too ? JD

paintfool
04-06-2000, 08:58 AM
Sandy, It's wonderful! Makes me want to run to my studio & paint galss!!! LOVE it. Cheryl

sandyartist
04-06-2000, 09:17 AM
Thanks everyone! to answer a couple of questions..the background is a mix of alizarin crimson and pthalo green or viridian..interchangeable; I did not use black, but could have mixed it with the alizarin for the same warm dark. The still life set up was in sun light, with a black cloth backdrop over a screen..just for drama and a foil for the copper. Michelle..all I can offer on the highlights is that I saw what I saw..perhaps the metal, being horizontal picked up the warm sun and the glass, on an angle, picked up only the sky light..interesting though...you would think glass would have the highest light, but this time it didn't from where I was standing.

henrik
04-06-2000, 07:36 PM
Sandy, after looking at this piece a long time and enjoying every moment... I have one little thing to comment on. First I have to say that I really like paintings like this - I love Greg Kreutz work (and Leffler), and yours is sooo good.

Now the the thing that started to "bother" me was the way the fruit to the right is arranged and I could not figure out why at first. Then it popped out - hey the two red apples are looking at each other and there is a pear in the middle between them - a duality and a singleton. What is interesting is that the two apples make you look in the direction they are "looking" - the spot where the two "lines of 'apple'-vision" intersect is really a strong focus point - but there is nothing there... So maybe it is that I feel tricked to look there, or it is the duality - I don't really know.

Anyone else see this?

arlene
04-06-2000, 09:06 PM
Henrik,
Did you have to go and ruin it for me? Now I see that too, and I didn't before. Maybe because the pear is dead center between the two apples, and the apples are both facing towards the pear?

william
04-06-2000, 09:31 PM
Apples?... I tought they were red pepperoni...

henrik
04-07-2000, 04:30 AM
Arlene, and (((((((Sandy)))))) sorry about pointing that out. I played around a little with composition - see the two pics below; the one to the left is just to point out the "problem". Pic on the right I tried to rearrange things - although I think the first problem is solved, I introduced (at least) one new problem... see more text below pictures...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lwfpearcophl-1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lwfpearcop-hl2.jpg

...now there is a duality problem between the rotated apple, and the pear - they look too much the same - the shape form and/or direction of the apple could be change to solve this perhaps... (to show that I would have to "paint" something that looks as good as Sandy's work which i am not capable of http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Again - I don't know if this is better or only different - the painting is excusite as it is

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited April 07, 2000).]

sandyartist
04-07-2000, 10:00 AM
Henrik...that is really interesting!! Wish I knew more of how to manipulate the computer to play with some of my own images..that would be a great tool! Only having learned to email 5 months ago..I have a lot to learn. I do see what you are getting at and will ponder this...can't correct the painting since it resides with a collector in Maryland, but may try a second version...thanks for all the time and effort!

arlene
04-07-2000, 10:26 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lwfpearcop-hl3.jpg
Sandy,
I took Henrik's version and tried moving the apple to the front. Henrik made me get the paint shop pro, and you're my 1st experiment on it.

bruin70
04-07-2000, 11:19 AM
sandy...you should put a couple of red apple reflections into the metal to settle the server in. it's arm looks bent away because of the dark reflection. that light,thin reflection you have on the far edge of it's arm would do better placed on the nearside edge. i think that might "unbend" the arm....milt

bruin70
04-07-2000, 11:22 AM
sandy,,,just add another red apple to unbalance the trio. if it starts to drive you nuts, ask the museum if they would loan it back to you....milt

bruin70
04-07-2000, 01:45 PM
another note.....you can be fairly liberal as to where you place your reflections/values in metal. consider that the only specifics may be the objects surrounding the metal, but everything else, like outside the picture plane, is there for your whim.... because who can say what is out there that is causing one particular reflection or another. in still life, there are two areas to concern yourself with. the table settings where all the color and white(in your piece) are. and the background which is usually dark. so generally, the top of a metal piece will reflect dark(the background) while it's bottom will reflect the table settings. this is a natural advantage because as you place a dark value reflection(background) on the top area, this is also where the hilite will go, so you have a natural contrast occuring. i did this on the frontmost leg, where i brought in the dark value of the background on the top of the leg since that leg angle would reflect that background. this allowed me to place hilites there. so you see, who's to say. you can place values anywhere it will benefit you. i'm guessing the light area ON TOP of the handle is light, not reflection. so i think i would have done that area a bit differently. probably the same as i did the leg

another note on glass. i generally prefer NOT to paint reflection in glass at its sides,,,where it turns. this makes the glass opaque, not crystaline. in your painting, you painted reflection at the edge of the glass as it turns, over on the top left, by the spout. it looks opaque and heavy to me. however, i like that you DID NOT do this on the body of the glass on the left. here, you left the left edge clean and started the reflection away from the edge. the glass looks more crystaline here.....milt

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited April 07, 2000).]

bruin70
04-07-2000, 01:56 PM
hey, saint henry!!!! you got the light pear resting on top of the red apple!...st. milt

sandyartist
04-07-2000, 02:13 PM
Ho, boy!! This is a lot(!) of material to digest Milt..I have printed it off to take to the studio for reference! As best I remember the light was overhead most of the working time..outdoor sun, which may account for why the light hits the top edge of the handle..I do agree the shadow makes it look a little bent...if I can find the photo I took at the beginning of the painting, I will post it.. may explain somethings..even to me! Perhaps I need to be a better nature editor and not follow my eyes so closely..certainly food for thought. I think this has been a good critique/lesson for us all...thanks for taking the time to ferret out suggestions..I only want to be the very best that I am capable of and this kind of specific critique is very, very valuable, especially, living in the rural art vacuum that I do, with no other art minds to consult..even if there were..they would never be on your level of understanding..thanks again! Sandy

PS...Henrik..thanks to you also m'dear!

had to edit this twice..my brain gets ahead of my typing!!
[This message has been edited by sandyartist (edited April 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by sandyartist (edited April 07, 2000).]

bobsart
04-07-2000, 02:43 PM
VERY nicely done Judy!!

I didn't have any problem with the position of the fruit in the fore ground. I might have closed the gap between the apple on the left and the fruit plate with an overlapping stem and leaf combination from the plant. I see you used the shadow of the table cloth fold to do that. I would agree that the light reflection on the glass is a tad much. That's probably what it looked like in reality. Someone once said "If it's right but looks wrong, then it's wrong."

Anyway, I think my mentor Billy Harnett would give it, as I do, two thumbs up...bob

henrik
04-07-2000, 04:59 PM
St. Milt thou holiness... you are right about the pear on top of the apple - READ MY POST AGAIN ( http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif could not resist pulling that one on you http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )... seriously... as I said in the earlier post... I introduced several new problems - you spotted the worst milt.

St. henrik http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

bruin70
04-08-2000, 12:03 AM
ok,,i'm back, after reading your reply at the portrait thread. glass and metal share a similiar nature, especially in painting them. they are both hard, and slick. glass is just transparent. because of their "sharpness" i always found that painting them with quick,but measured and well thought out, untempered brush strokes as being the best way to capture their nature. you really do have to become that which you paint. overrendering glass makes it less transparent and heavy. it is very brittle, so i tend to under paint it. in painting either , it's not about painting "them" as much as it is about painting what they reflect. with metal,, you see sargent do this with all his knick-knacks(the breakfast table is a great example). with glass , you mostly see thru it or see what it holds. refections are rare. usually when the backgrounds are dark, as in your piece, and reflecting light things around it. the hallmark of metal and glass, of course, are their hilites. brighter and crisper than anything in the painting. and the best place to put hilites, to show them off the best, is against a dark value. contrast is the key! you know the implied method. mix a nice puddle of a hot light light(of pigment and medium). take a brush with a sharp point, pick up a teeny globule of the hot pigment with the very tip of the brush, so the color sits atop the tip as a round dollup of paint,,,,,,,,,and just LAY that teeny drop of paint onto the canvas. DON'T PAINT IT ON, lay it on. and there you have a nice vermeer hilite......just remember that contrast makes your best hilites......milt

colburn
04-08-2000, 12:13 AM
Wonderful

bruin70
04-08-2000, 12:49 AM
s,,,this paint program is the worst. so don't hold me to it. i TRIED to show you what i mean on the handle,,,and on the tip of the cover. the rest of the random hilites i placed all over the server is just to show you the effect of hilites placed against a dark background.....and in fact you don't have to be exact with where you place your hilites. just a few well placed spots will give your metal and glass the needed glitter.....milt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lwfpearcopredo.jpg

bruin70
04-08-2000, 02:10 AM
ha,,,,,,,,ha,,,,,,,,,ha.........verrrrrry funny....milt

,,,but you see st.H,,,,,i don't read YOUR posts

henrik
04-08-2000, 04:59 AM
Milt - I have noticed.