PDA

View Full Version : spirit

polly
04-03-2000, 06:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/spirit.jpg

Phyllis Rennie
04-03-2000, 08:23 PM
Hi Polly, Glad to finally see the painting. My question is about the shadow of the dog. What is it falling on? Phyl

msue
04-03-2000, 09:26 PM
Like Phyllis, I'm confused by the shadow and the other object of the same color and value in the background. The object on the right hand side could be interpreted as trees, but the shadow does not relate. The rendering of the dog is very good showing texture in the fur. A tip: If you want to give a wet appearance to the nose you can glaze with a touch of gum arabic.

henrik
04-04-2000, 07:40 AM
Hi Polly,
glad you finally made it with the post of your image.
One thing jumps out immediately; the bulls eye effect created by the twinkle in spirit's right eye. I thought it would be best to move it... that led me to think about where the light is coming from. It looks like full frontal light like from a photo flash, but the shadows on the wall suggests that the light comes from (our) right. Below you see some modifications I have made; moving the twinkle, but I have also changed the shading to be more consistent with light coming from our right. As I am writing this I realize that the shadow of the ears places the lightsource quite low, and I did not place the twinkle in the correct position (it should be more "towards the nose" I think). I also added a slight twinkle to the left eye. The shadows are blotchy and don't look very good in my alteration, so squint your eyes a bit...

Anyway... here it is...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/spirit-hl1.jpg

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited April 04, 2000).]

arlene
04-04-2000, 09:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/spirit12.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/spirit3.jpg
Great start! The main thing I notice other than the highlights, is the nose is off. [i showed this with the green lines] I moved the shading around the eyes to bring it in line with the nose, and also changed the angle of the nose slightly to be parallel to the horizontal line of the eyes.
Since you put shadows in the background, it might be better to anchor the dog in space. That's why I filled in on the left side, and the bottom.
I also moved the highlight in the eye. Henrik is correct in that the light seems to be coming from the lower right.

[This message has been edited by arlene (edited April 04, 2000).]

henrik
04-04-2000, 10:39 AM
Yes arlene - that looks good!
On the nose thing... although it now looks better, to me it appears that the nose is somewhat too much turned to spirit's left (away from us).

arlene
04-04-2000, 11:50 AM
I think Henrik might be correct, although the only thing I did was bring the nose down a bit on the left side.
What Polly needs to do is loosly sketch in the lines so they're parallel to get the exact placement. [It's hard to do on a lousy computer program.]
Oh, as you can see, one other thing I did was add some more light shading in the face to round it out a bit. It was looking a bit too flat. I also put the white in both eyes where they would naturally be.

polly
04-04-2000, 03:55 PM
I have a lot to do now! Thank you all..The eye does look better and the center of the nose needs aligning..God this is such a great site, I'll be back soon..thanks henrik and arlene.
Luvya
Polly

sandyartist
04-06-2000, 11:11 AM
All I can say here, not bein' a watercolorist, is to second Henrik's suggestions...perhaps if the whole background were taken down a few values, the image of the dog would not be so stark against the background and the shadows would not be an issue. That would give the animal a "space" to belong to, not having the pasted on the background look...just a thought.

polly
04-07-2000, 12:44 AM
i think that your suggestion is a good one. I was not sure how to determine the value of a background. I tried to key it to the dog. Anyway the 'owner' picked up the painting and loved it so i'm off that hook.
I am now into trying to figure out how to scan and shrink a larger painting down to size to ready it for posting on the board.
thanks for input
Polly