PDA

View Full Version : Lady Washington

J.Dillon
04-03-2000, 03:41 PM
One of my ships coming up the Colombia river.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=259042&a=1928336&p=17066590&Sequence=0

arlene
04-03-2000, 04:04 PM
BEAUTIFUL!

janet
04-03-2000, 11:40 PM
simply stunning!

kayemme
04-04-2000, 04:07 AM
what colombia river? in washington we have a columbia river (maybe spelled colombia).. but certainly no ships would be sailing it... maybe some extreme canoeing or something.. i noticed you're in connecticut, is this an east coast river? not to stray from topic, just caught my eye...

in what medium is this painted?
it feels much lighter than your other work, more motion, but lighter in color, much "windier" i suppose is a good adjective.
i'm not a big marine painting fan, myself.. but this really is lovely. i'm glad you've posted it.

------------------
km (http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/kmarion/)

henrik
04-04-2000, 07:52 AM
I like the sails and masts on this one - as others already noted there is a more windy feeling which I think is the result of the flags, and the fact that sails and masts are less uniform and acutally a bit crooked here and there - that makes it more natural (less stiff).

I think that you should detail the boat (ehr don't know the term - "body" perhaps) to match the details in the sails and rigging (term again?!? - I don't know these terms in English - nor in Swedish now that I think about it LOL).

J.Dillon
04-04-2000, 10:44 AM
Thanks Kayemme for pointing out that one cannot sail up that river. I always assumed you could at least part way after getting past the bar. I did deliverer a trawler to Juneau AK from La Conner WA. I guess I'll have to rename the painting. Any suggestions,what river or water can you sail up in Oregeon or Washington ? The painting is acrylic 12" X 18" on masonite.

Henrik, I would like to have had more detail of the hull but was limited as to what I had to work from. This vessel is a Brig and a reprodiction based I think in Oregon USA. Im impressed at your command of English and critique comments.

Phyllis Rennie
04-04-2000, 08:11 PM
Why can't I see it?