PDA

View Full Version : Jan Van Eyck - copy

Hamburgefions
10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2010/315111-redturban_wc.jpg

Copy after Jan Van Eyck's "Man in a Red Turban". Original size: 19 x 26 cm.

I made this very small painting 13 years ago. Before that time I hardly painted in oils. After I made this copy I rarely used oils anymore. Funny.

But now, since 15 months, I restarted painting in oils, this time my own paintings (stillifes so far).

The technique is based on what I learned about the Flemish Primitives.

Wassie
10-09-2010, 02:43 AM
This is wonderful. I love the folds in the turban.

LGHumphrey
10-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Very well done. Glad you're into painting again--hope to see some of your work.

Sana Almimar
10-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi Mark,
This painting is stunning !!! I thought it is the original one ,you are a master .I would love to see more of your terrific paintings.:clap: :clap: :clap:
Regards

Fleffyjen
10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
This is beautifully rendered, well done -- why did you stop?

Hamburgefions
10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
why did you stop?

Too many interests: painting, drawing, art restoration, photography, photoretouching, illustration...

That time (1997), I was working as a partial freelance advertising illustrator. The time left, I spent studying old painting techniques (but only theorethical).
After years of reading articles and books, I decided to do the test...and this painting was the result.
I made my own panels, paints, mediums. Nothing special about that of course. But it took me to much time in preparing, before I could even start painting. So I quit.

I continued advertising illustration and digital photoretouching.

In 2007, I decided (because of the shrinking advertising illustration industry)to pick up traditional oilpainting. But I replaced all mediaval painting materials into modern materials.
So, I had to start learning and expertising again, and after throwing away dozens of panels and after about 18 months, I was updated.

Now, since october 2009, I paint stillifes in oils (I try to make 4/year). But I still do photography, photoretouching, and occasional illustration. And I have a full time job.

Some things never change.

Thanks everyone.

zbarrister
10-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Very well done, Mark. I would love to see some of your current work.

Max Klinger
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I understand you perfectly well. A full time job etc. are very demanding and do not leave enough time for art (when not done professionally). I gave up photography, nearly have stopped reading, have stopped all ideas I had to go for painting and drawing as hobby. There is already so less time left...

Whay do I write all this? In the hope you vote for painting!

After the Van Eyck copy it is for me sure: you are an oil painter! Do some copies (not too many) and go for your own work and style!

I really would like one of your still lifes!

Johan Vanhauwaert
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Hallo,

eindelijk eens iemand waarmee ik misschien een discussie kan voeren over oud- Vlaamse technieken.
Ik kan je wel niet bereiken op de normale manier via Wet Canvas maar hierbij dan toch mijn email adres: [email protected]

Geef je me eens een seintje?
Johan Vanhauwaert