PDA

View Full Version : "Trees at Sunset"

janet
03-13-2000, 08:50 PM
Hi I'm back again... this time Bob Ross
inspired me to do this one. I painted this
on a 18 X 24 using black gesso, Alizarin Crimson, Yellow Ochre,white and the sunset is painted with yellow acrylic and a mix of oil paints for the greens.I took a polaroid shot
and I think it looks a little shiny than what it is. Also the picture did not capture
the tree to the left. Again I was not happy with the trees in the background. Help Critique please!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Tree.JPG

Electra
03-13-2000, 09:53 PM
I think the problem you're having with the trees is that they're not dense enough.

There are lots of places that look like that down here where I live.. and where the trees start, they're usually very thick. Sunlight seldome makes it through the branches if it's more than a single line of trees.

I think the shape is just right.. you have good variation, just not dense enough!

All in all, I love this work. It's stunning.

------------------
Electra
---
Life is less about who you are, and more about who you choose to be.

Kimber74
03-13-2000, 11:20 PM
Hi Janet

I really like that line of purple in the sky! It was the first thing that grabbed me. Also I think you have the contrast just right, and nice depth.

I agree that the trees need to be thickened up, maybe let light through in just a few spots. The foreground tree could use a couple more branches, in my opinion.

Very nice work! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

oleCC
03-14-2000, 12:13 AM
Janet.......this is lovely, and I agree with the others about a thicker application to the trees in the background. The tops could allow the light thru here and there, but the bases would be thicker and no light. The
colors are really lovely..and I like the composition too ! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/olecc

Gisela
03-14-2000, 02:52 AM
Ditto!
Making the trees a bit more dense is the only thing I can see to change. The colors are really stunning in this painting.

Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

henrik
03-14-2000, 04:06 AM
Well done!
How about some rim light on the foreground tree, and since the sun is very low there should perhaps be some light on the underside of branches high up in the tree.
I see some traces of rimlight on some branches - maybe it is the photo?

cagathoc
03-14-2000, 07:53 AM
I like the way you used the black gesso in this painting. It looks great and has a very nice moody feel. I like the sparse trees the way they are but hey... http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

CarlyHardy
03-14-2000, 03:30 PM
Add density to the trees in the middle ground but keep some of the light touching them too. The lone tree seems to be skinnier in the middle than at the top or the bottom where it crosses the moon. I have a lot of pines that look like this one in my front yard!
carly

janet
03-15-2000, 10:51 PM
I would like to thank all for your
replies and comments !

Thanks Electra for your wonderful comments
Most of you said the same thing about the
trees, and yes, now that I look at it I should have made them more dense. I will rework the painting, and work on the trees.
Thanks to Henrik for your wonderful
comments, I can see now how I should add
some rimlights to the top of the tree branches. The little rimlight that you see
on the other branches, is from the actual colors that were painted from the sky.
Thanks Kimler74,Olecc,Gisela,Cagathoc and
chcClements. It is from wonderful people
like yourselves that inspire me to do more!

by the way.., I have one question, If my painting is dry, and I want to rework certain areas, may I use turpentine, or linseed oil to thin out the
paint and then paint over the areas that are
dry? or will I ruin the painting? I never
painted over a dry painting.

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 15, 2000).]

robinsn
03-16-2000, 12:22 AM
You've got interesting landscaping behind the foreground tree and I like it. On the right, the ridge seems to disappear behind the tree. It looks chopped off, so I'd extend it just a hair to the other side of the tree, or stop it short of the tree.

To paint over dry oil paints, which I do all the time http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif, take some linseed oil, brush it on thin, wipe it off with a paper towel and it will leave a very thin film which makes painting nice and easy. I don't know anything about acrylics though.

------------------
-Randy

henrik
03-16-2000, 09:34 AM
janet, can you explain how you have used acrylics and oil in this painting; your first post says that you have "yellow acrylic and a mix of oil paints for the green" ??

This may be important when overpainting - also how you have layered oil and acrylic paint so you don't have an unpleasant surprise (crinkled painting, or paint falling of).

janet
03-16-2000, 10:21 PM
Thanks! Robynsn for your tip! I will try
this method.
Henrik, I used the yellow acrylic when I
primed the canvas. then I waited until the
canvas was dry. I guess the paint did not crack because I only gave the canvas 1 coat of yellow acrylic and waited until it was thoroughly dry before proceeding with the oil paints, and liquid black. (I want to apologize, I made an error when I said black gesso. It was liquid black. Thelittle bright highlights
you see in the foreground are from the acrylic, and I mixed cadmium yellow oil paint (this was not bright enough for my sun)and viridian green for the greens. and then I just painted with cadmium yellow in between
for highliting the foreground.I mixed and blended alizarin red, yellow, liquid black, white and used horizontal strokes for the sky.blending colors.
I never took an art class, (except in grade school but thats different,I actually enjoyed
sculpting with playdoh) I am self taught,but
like I said Bob Ross inspired me to paint this painting. When I saw the original, I wanted to see if I was skilled enough to create this painting. So I challenged myself But I felt great after I painted this because I feel like this is helping me to learn more about using different skills and incorporating one medium with another.
i did add touches of black acrylic to the
big tree and that made the tree look a little puffy and with "cracks" I guess it made it look like a real tree.

Thanks again,
janet

CarlyHardy
03-16-2000, 11:14 PM
Janet, I paint with oils but will often do my base coat of paint in acrylics...so that it dries quickly. But once you begin with oils, you must stay with oils. You cannot paint acrylics over oil paints...but you can paint oils over acrylics. I sometimes allow my oils to dry before going on to another layer so that I don't blend the paint. I just add a touch of linseed oil to the paint and paint over the dry oil surface.
carly

janet
03-19-2000, 08:31 PM
Thanks carly for your advice !

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 19, 2000).]

yoli
04-03-2000, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by janet:
Thanks carly for your advice !

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 19, 2000).]

yoli
04-03-2000, 07:55 PM
I really liked this painting. You have a wonderful gift and should continue painting. I would have never known that you never took a class in Art if you would have never told. I love the colors that you used for this marvelous painting. Keep up the wonderful work. Good luck!!!