PDA

View Full Version : Wonder

CarlyHardy
03-31-2000, 01:55 PM
Msue, this painting makes me want to smile. I really like it. It reminds me of how I used to sit with my daughter and imagine that the clouds were animals or trees and think up stories to tell about each one.
carly

J.Dillon
03-31-2000, 02:06 PM
I'm not used to doing a critique but I sure liked Clements comment. It made me think ...here is a man looking at the clouds wondering what shapes his children would see in them.. whishing they were with him now. For me its thought provoking. Thanks Cindy for the guide in critiqueing.

henrik
03-31-2000, 06:21 PM
I like this piece. I think there are a couple of minor things that could improve it.

The man could stand out a bit better from the background - he is sort disapears with the darker part of the background. (I have no suggestion for you what to do yet...)

The greyish wash applied over the mountains extends down into the yellow area. Unfortunately there is a bit too much of this to close to the man - I think we naturally look at what a person in a painting is looking at - as we follow the man's sight we get into the greyish wash and do not naturally move up to the clouds. I think if you clear this up a little bit the piece would read better. You may want some more "eye-pulling" to increase readability - perhaps some highlights on the mountains (say far left - in the direction where the man is looking).

oleCC
03-31-2000, 06:29 PM
Hi Msue...no critque here, just wish that was me standing in that field, it looks so inviting ! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Carol

RyderArt
03-31-2000, 08:51 PM
Msue:
I agree with Ole....my first feelings were contentment, peace, tranquility. It may not be in a style that I personally would do, but I really like "your" syle.
There is a nice flow.
I do agree with Hendrik...just tweeking the figure a bit to bring him more in focus.

Stephanie

arourapope
03-31-2000, 09:02 PM
I just wanted to say that I love the figure of the man....his hands in the pockets, the face uplifted....he looks sooo serene and content. I think you communicated the mood very well, and posed you figure very naturally. Do you do alot of figure work?
Light,
Aurora

msue
04-01-2000, 12:02 AM
Okay, I'm not particularly looking for a critique. But I know you just can't help yourself. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif This is my latest attempt with artist acrylics and in view of all the very "heavy" debates lately thought we could use some whimsy.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/editedwonder.jpg

cagathoc
04-01-2000, 12:09 AM
LOL! (love the figure... and the colors - no crit just praise!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

Maria
04-01-2000, 12:15 AM
I'm new here and not used to criticize other's work, but... here we go! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif msue, I like the colors in your painting very much. To me, the clouds don't seem completely natural though. Maybe it's that they all have the same size and shape? I know I would have done them a bit more irregular...

cagathoc
04-01-2000, 12:47 AM
The clouds are in a sweeping pattern which leads our eye around the picture and adds to the overall mystical atmosphere of the piece.

I am a bit frustrated that no matter what kind of work one posts, it generally gets critiqued as though it is, or should be, a realistic piece. Representational does not equal realistic. There are many types of art. Perhaps we should post a few words about the style or intent of our piece (since it doesn't seem to be obvious) when we ask for a critique...

P.S. This is a general observation about our site not directed specifically only at Maria's comments...

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited March 31, 2000).]

MichaelRH
04-01-2000, 06:06 AM
hi msue! It was nice to talk with you at the Cafe last night...quite a crowd! Just one little comment here..the golden colors you have achieved are beautiful!! MichaelRH
(they GLOW!!)

MichaelRH
04-01-2000, 06:13 AM
One more thing...the man in the painting made me think of ME!!! I often just stand and look at the beautiful displays mother nature creates as the clouds roll over the Rocky Mountains. I often walk outside in the middle of our thunder and lightening storms, just to get a better look at the show..feel the rain..wind. The man in your painting just seems content to observe..and record the event..just looking intently at something during our day..the word that best describes what your man MAY be feeling (it is for me) is gratitude. MichaelRH

henrik
04-02-2000, 12:39 AM
I just had to try out my idead on this one. I hope you do not disapprove...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/wonder-hl1.jpg
<UL>
I thought there should be a more open air feeling around the man - so I removed some of the gray
I popped the man slightly by softening the background surrounding him - and I sharpended the edges on the man
Opening up the horizon helps the eye to reach the clouds - the painting were sort of cut in half by the line along the foot of the mountains.
The mountains were a bit flat so I added som light
clouds got a bit more light on them
brought some green up from lower left to mid-ground at the right
[/list]
The painting is now incredibly smudged as I moved things around...

I don't know if this made the painting "better" or only "different".

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited April 01, 2000).]

msue
04-02-2000, 09:44 AM
I knew you guys couldn't resist critiquing...lol. Background on this painting: Pure luck and fantasy. I started out trying to create those soft glowing peachy backgrounds that are demo on TV art shows. With no reference it wasn't really working and I just kept playing. Came across an old "doodle" of the man and traced him in. Then got excited over the cartoony, fun feel of the painting. I thought of adding some other object for him to be looking at, like maybe a UFO, but decided I liked the simple feeling of staring at the sky. Something many of you have confessed to doing and I share. I love that so many of you could "relate" and feel something from this painting.

Henrik, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

grannyb
04-02-2000, 10:01 PM
I think he is a fun figure who reminds us all of what we wish we could do ....just stand and admire Mother Earth/Father Sky,the clouds worry me as they should be flatter at the bottom but for a 'whimsical' piece it really doesn't matter.

Rick
04-02-2000, 10:10 PM
Maybe change the title to: Outstanding in his field....Which is where he is usually found! Just kidding! I like it and welcome the fun back into the forum! Thanks