PDA

View Full Version : critique

J.Dillon
03-22-2000, 10:19 AM
Hi, I'm new and would like comments on my Lighthouse.

Thanks
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=259042&a=1928336&p=17826718&Sequence=0

henrik
03-22-2000, 02:10 PM
Love the sky - dramatic!

One thing that catches the eye directly is the perspective on the lighthouse. The different parts of the house are done with different perspective; the foundation is different from the house itself, and the tower again is different - both foundation and tower lean away from the viewer.

One of the windows on the house have the wrong perspective and makes the house look odd (single window to the left of the door).

There may be more perspecive issues on the lighthouse.

I like the painting overall - fixing the minor perspective errors will make this a winner.

Drew Davis
03-22-2000, 03:21 PM
Good handling of the wave texture into distance on the sea. You could increase the effect of depth by also letting the color of the water go grayer and lighter as it recedes to the horizon.

The color of the ocean doesn't seem to relate to the sky much; it doesn't really participate in that purple-yellow harmony.

shelewis
03-22-2000, 09:36 PM
I REALLY like this piece!!! I don't really see a problem with the perspective, it makes the lighthouse seem old and weather worn, kind of like it could be ready to fall into the sea with the right size wave. VERY dramatic sky and with the darkness of the water, the whole piece is solemn. Very nice work, keep it up!!

Paula

oleCC
03-22-2000, 10:18 PM
This is wonderful, full of feeling. I do see that tower leaning away from the viewer - the perspective doesn't bother me otherwise. I see you have tried to reflect a little of the sky colors, maybe a bit more of that in the water would help tie it together?! I can almost feel that wind and hear those waves.
Good work http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/olecc

janet
03-22-2000, 10:54 PM
Hi, this is a captivating painting!
I can also hear those waves roaring! the waves are wonderfly done. what medium did you use?

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 22, 2000).]

J.Dillon
03-22-2000, 11:35 PM
Thank you all for your comments. The painting is of Race Rock lighthouse on the end of LI sound. I used acrylics.

paintfool
03-22-2000, 11:48 PM
J.Dillon, I agree with Shelewis, i don't see the perspective problems that Henrik does in the tower & it's relationship to the main building, or the foundation. He certainly has a more trained eye than i do though, but i think a little more of the sky color reflected in the water would be a good idea, also to lighten the water as it recedes into the horizen would probably be the only changes i would make. I like to paint light houses my self....Cheryl

amanda
03-23-2000, 04:41 PM
The only thing I see as a problem with your painting is the hard edge on the horizon line. My art tutor always picked me up on it and said that the horizon is never a hard line, which is true when you look at it. It's always a bit hazy and soft. I agree that there needs to be a bit of colour reflection of the water in the clouds or vice versa. I do like all your work so far though, its all really dramatic and well done.

cagathoc
03-23-2000, 05:28 PM
The house looks funny to me too; almost flat because the perspective is off. Beautiful colors in your sky...

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

J.Dillon
03-23-2000, 05:37 PM
Thanks again for your comments. Amanda, I know what art critics say about horizons. Have any really been at sea? I've spent many years at sea and the cripness of the line depends on ones elevation. My horizions are from a seamans perspective, close to the water. In this rendering the obsever is about 8' from the surface putting the horizion about 5 miles away. Higher elevation will fuge out a crisp line. Of course weather and the conditions of the atmosphere contribute to the horizions sharpness as well.

dzspag
03-24-2000, 10:36 AM
again...nice feeling here. I would make a few suggestions...the perspective on the light house is a little off on the walls...maybe just drop a straight line down to check. i would definitely add a little color to the back edge of the water...but more importantly..since the light source seems to be coming from a low horizon, it would make sure to cool the front of the lighthouse (since it is not facing the source of light) and really warm up the side..especially closest to the back.

gordon
03-24-2000, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J.Dillon:
I think that it is a great painting and I have seen plenty of hard line horizons.
I think that the picyure would come to life more if the light were burning bright in the tower.

Gordon

J.Dillon
03-24-2000, 05:53 PM
Gordon , Thanks, your E mail makes it look good but it's the wrong color. Should be red flashing every 10 seconds. The light is Race Rock off Fishers Island NY. and in the end of Long Island Sound.

bobsart
03-28-2000, 08:42 AM
JD,

Thanx for sharing this with us.

I think you are right on with the horizon line. Normally the horizon line is fuzzy and undefined but we sea dogs know, as you mentioned, certain situations can cause different effects. In your case it is the lite source. If the lite source was in any other direction other than where you put it, I would say your horizon should be softened. It looks fine to me. I do agree with one person that the lighthouse should be cooled or darkened since it is between the viewer and the lite source. Lightly highlighting with sun lite would have defined it nicely. I would have put a schooner or small sloop just right of center in the distance heading for the viewers right shoulder with its mast rake angling in toward the pictures center.

And lastly, I think you might have a little too much fore ground. It doesn't do anything to enhance the picture.

bob

[This message has been edited by bobsart (edited March 28, 2000).]

J.Dillon
03-28-2000, 04:09 PM
Thanks again for everybodys input. Unfortunately I don't know how to scan and reduce the size of the painting. It extends about 6 more inches to the right showing the not risen sun but a brighter sky. The horizion is empty. I wanted to convey to the viewer the vast loneliness of the sea, suggesting also the isolation of the lighthouse keeper. I will try to tone down the unlit side of the house as some have suggested.

henrik
03-29-2000, 03:56 AM
Dillon, I could no help myself...
I have made some changes to the lighthouse in line with the suggestions made by several people - I also modified perspective slightly. Instead of writing a long list of small changes I will let you compare for your self. (Unfortunately I did these edits using the mouse and the darkening got a bit blotched http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/redface.gif).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/lighthouse-hl1.jpg

J.Dillon
03-29-2000, 08:32 AM
Henrik, Excellent! thanks it looks much better. I will modify the existing painting using your guide lines. I don't quite see the changes in perspective though. JD

henrik
03-29-2000, 10:04 AM
Ok, here are some of the things I have done.
<UL>
The foundation; look at the middle - I lowered it to make it appear rounder - this is also a more correct perspecitve.
Top of lighthouse; modified the curves to make them slightly more flat.
Corners of building where not straight (they looked curved) or leaned in different directions.
Changed window facing to our right since it looked like it faced towards us.
Added shadows (should be easy to spot)
Added rim-light on chimneys, roof, and right corner.
[/list]
If you look very quickly back and forht between the two pictures you will pick up the changes...

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited March 29, 2000).]

J.Dillon
04-01-2000, 04:16 PM
Henrik,

I made the changes you suggested except flattening the tower rim..... I looked and looked at it and by jove your right it does needs less curve. Thanks for your constructive critique. JD