PDA

View Full Version : The Seventh Wave

J.Dillon
03-22-2000, 10:31 AM
Posting again. I forgot to mention my medium is acrylic on masonite. the lighthouse is 12"x18" as is the Seventh Wave. Quite a bit of the image is out of the picture. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=259042&a=1928336&p=16746681&Sequence=0

janet
03-22-2000, 11:19 PM
Wow dillon I can see the poor ship getting
capsized by the giant wave! I really like
the feeling of this painting. You really
captured a stormy feeling by the way you
painted the sky and water. I like the dark
colors you used. awsome!

[This message has been edited by janet (edited March 22, 2000).]

paintfool
03-22-2000, 11:40 PM
oh! scarey! you've certinly evoked strong emotion within me! beautiful colors too. What, if i may ask, is the little white thing floating about in the sky above the mast to the far right? I couldn't tell. I lke this one. Cheryl

J.Dillon
03-23-2000, 10:59 AM
Janet,Cheryl, thanks. The little white thing is a speck. Ignore it, must of gotten on the glass when I scanned it.

amanda
03-23-2000, 04:31 PM
I really like this one as well as the other one. It's really emotional and dramatic. The size and proportions of the people and ship are really good too. I like your style.

Drew Davis
03-23-2000, 08:00 PM
Out of curiousity, why "Seventh Wave"? Is that a bit of sailing folklore (it's the seventh one that gets you, or something?) Or the seventh painting like this you've done?

henrik
03-24-2000, 03:32 AM
Dillon, I like this piece as well as your other sea-scapes. After having looked at this piece several times I think that the sails are perhaps a bit rigid and uniform. There should perhaps be something "flapping in the storm" to show the effect of wind...

J.Dillon
03-24-2000, 09:14 AM
Drew & Herik, The seventh wave is a kind of folklore as seamen beleive the larger ones come in a series of seven. There is to my knowledge no scientific basis for this beleif. "Flogging " or flaping sails is to be avoided at all costs. It will soon ruin all sails. Experienced sailors kept this from happening by "bunting" or "brailing' the sails before furling them. In the painting the sailors on the shrowds of the main (middle) mast are going aloft to furl the upper topsail which has been bunted up from lines on the pin rail on deck. I tried to get a sense of wind by the size of the wave, racing clouds,and wind filled sails some of which are completely furled as the weather worsens.

dzspag
03-24-2000, 10:26 AM
really well done...nice emotional feeling. i liked your response about the sails..you obviously know your subject matter well. i think in order to paint well...especially when the object is the main focus of the work...it has to be accurate...you have done your research and it shows...very believable setting.

gordon
03-24-2000, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Drew Davis:
Out of curiousity, why "Seventh Wave"? Is that a bit of sailing folklore (it's the seventh one that gets you, or something?) Or the seventh painting like this you've done?

gordon
03-24-2000, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drew Davis:
Every seventh wave is is larger than the others! This is a fact. I have stood on the beach at Portland Dorset England and seen it for myself.
Love the painting. Makes me feel sea sick just looking at it.
gordon

henrik
03-25-2000, 12:08 AM
Dillon, when I posted I had the suspiction that what I suggested would not be realistic http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/redface.gif . I still would like some more variation in the sails - but I may be totally wrong since I am not at all an expert on sea-scapes and boats.

bobsart
03-29-2000, 09:10 AM
Gordon,

Have you checked-out the Cutty Sark (the ship not the booze)? I understand it's somewhere in England.

bob

bobsart
03-29-2000, 09:26 AM
JD,

Great wave! I would have added some real drama by painting the main royal severly flogging. But that's me.

bob

J.Dillon
03-29-2000, 09:30 AM
Bob, I visited the Cutty Sark in 74. She is displayed in Greenwich England. You can go aboard and also view the underbody as she is in a drydock. It's beautiful. JD

ReNae
03-29-2000, 05:02 PM
Dillon,

Great job! Seasick I am! You really capture the energy and anger of the ocean.

This is why I do not sail the seven seas!!

ReNae

Old Florida
03-29-2000, 10:02 PM
JD,
I agree with the previous comments about the energy and atmosphere of your setting but since your style is quite realistic I have a problem with the shear lines of this vessel. On my screen the stern area looks strongly bowed upward in relation to the bow; with the wind blowing hard off the starboard beam I would expect the port gunnel to be heeled over and the false gunports nearly out of sight.

------------------

J.Dillon
03-29-2000, 11:07 PM
Old Florida,
You have a good point, but consider this the vessel is in the trough in this instant not getting the full brunt of the wind, her ballast, cargo trying to right her, standing up to the wind. It's all speculation though we can only guess how she would be in any instant, the ship pitching, rolling yawing as she corkscrews on her course. Perhaps the next time I try something with the lee rail under a boarding swell.
JD