PDA

View Full Version : OUT ON A LIMB

shelewis
03-24-2000, 12:34 AM
OK, I'm at that point where I don't know whether to keep going or stop where I'm at! Please help!! This is the full size painting of the watercolor sketch I posted a few weeks ago. I apologize for the lines down the middle, had to scan in 4 sections! Does anyone know how to get rid of those lines??
This is a 14 1/2" x 22" watercolor w/ pencil(tree) HELP!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/outonalimb4.JPG

Thanks,

Paula

[This message has been edited by shelewis (edited March 24, 2000).]

shelewis
03-24-2000, 12:41 AM
Sorry it came out so small, it was too big and I couldn't get it to go smaller, then it was toooooo small!!! It's late now though, and so I will have to fix this problem tomorrow, sorry!!

Paula

henrik
03-24-2000, 03:07 AM
Paula, one thing that pops out is that the white area behind the tree is the same shape as the tree. The intense blue sky is perhaps a little to intense...

If I remember correctly this was much more subtle in the study posted earlier...

MichaelRH
03-24-2000, 05:18 AM
Hi Paula:
Well, since I SAW the original..(very nice!!!)..it looks like you are really adding some nice values through-out the piece. I love the rocks..colors..and the way you've handled them!! It is a bit difficult to determine how the sky has been changed..(this post is small)..but I can see some darker values have been added. It would be difficult to keep the effect of the washes around the tree..(I would be afraid the sky colors would "bleed" into the branches of the tree..and you could lose the effect altogether in that area. Great progress though..
(Hope you like the digital pics I sent you!!)
Talk with you soon!

cagathoc
03-24-2000, 08:20 AM
Paula,

I saw the original too. You have made the picture much more dramatic. The rocks in the foreground are beautiful! The first thing I noticed, like Henrik, was the white behind the tree. I don't know if that's a problem or not... it certainly directs your attention to the tree. Nice piece! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

shelewis
03-24-2000, 09:21 AM
Ok, I hope that makes it a little easier to see. Michael, I didn't change anything in the sky, it's the same as when you saw it. Like you said, I did change the values in the rocks, added the shadows and some more texture. Unfortunately, the I lost alot of the texture in reducing it.

Henrik, I can't really change the cloud shape(since it's watercolor), but I was considering adding more branches to the tree. Do you think that would help?

Cindy, My intention with the cloud behind the tree is like you said, to bring the tree to your attention first.

The values are a little darker in the scan than they are in the original, since I had to reduce it so much to get it here.

Thanks for all the comments, I was hoping to get the image enlarged first, but I hope you will check it out again now that it's bigger!!

Paula

dzspag
03-24-2000, 10:22 AM
nice piece! like everyone else i noticed the white behind the tree..but because you have other whites in the sky, it really doesn't bother me much. if you would really like to rework the area, try putting masking fluid over each branch of the tree..wait until dry then lightly glaze over the sky. be careful though because you have some wonderful action in the sky now and wouldn'
t want to ruin those,. overall...stop now..but maybe next time put the tree a little off center. beautiful use of warm and cool colors she.

msue
03-24-2000, 10:27 AM
I looked at this the other night and didn't post a comment, but I had the same thought about the white around the tree. You stated that because it is watercolor you can't do anything about it. You can. Unless you used white paint, you can drop a little more color behind the tree or you can dampen the blue and lift some color off with a tissue to alter the shape behind the tree.

kemshmi
03-24-2000, 03:18 PM
The foreground in this one is much different than the first..the first seemed to be more like..hilly terrain leading up hill with rocks scattered about..this one seems to be big boulders..still the direction is the same..
very nice, your finished piece is very dramatic..you could (as per the other coments on the sky) remove a bit of the blue to the viewers right of the tree..
if you are not familiar with doing this ..try it out on a piece that you dont care about..you can use a soft sponge (sea-sponges are used for this) dipping in clear water.. rinsing..then gently dabbing and wiping.. you aan also remove with a brush and clear water, picking up the wetted paint with a tissue or paper towel..the sponge will remove more than the brush..also..some paint colors stain the paper more than others..

Usually if you wonder if you are done with a piece..you are..with the possible exception of some very small details..and you will know what these are

Kemshmi

[This message has been edited by kemshmi (edited March 24, 2000).]

kemshmi
03-24-2000, 03:27 PM
here ya' go http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/ptg.JPG

shelewis
03-24-2000, 07:23 PM
thanks for all the comments!!
Henrik, yes the line in the white behind the tree is because of the scan, what a pain! Once again, does anyone know how I can get rid of that??? I will try lifting some of the blue to change the shape, that sounds like the safest way to do it, when I did the sky I did it wet into wet and I hate to go back over that, afraid I will totally ruin it!!

thanks again everybody! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Paula

shelewis
03-24-2000, 07:26 PM
Kemshmi,
the first one I posted was just a small study for the painting. Once I got going with the painting, I put alot more detail into the rocks in front. thanks for your comments!!

Paula

henrik
03-25-2000, 12:02 AM
Now that you posted a bigger version the white area around the tree looks like less of a problem - I still feel you should try to change it's shape... maybe connect it to the other white area above it to the left, and/or extend it a little bit to the right...

Something I did not notice in the smaller version is a warm glaze over the tree - is that an effect from scanning? is seems cut of...

MichaelRH
03-25-2000, 07:05 AM
Paula..why does the sky appear darker? The posted below the first one is the one I seem to remember. When were the darker areas added? (Thats why I thought you made changes in the sky..since I saw the original). I must be in error here somewhere. Looks like a summer storm with the darker values. Your handling of rocks (you KNOW I like the rocks done with graphite in your other piece!!)..is very good. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

henrik
03-25-2000, 09:22 AM
Paula, I was not really talking about the line per se (I can ignore it since I know it is from scanning) - I wondered about the red haze around/over the tree... is it there in the painting?

The white shape beind the tree in your study is much better shaped IMO. I love the rocks and now you don't need the green patch you had in the study. There is one small detail in the study that helps the eye climb up to the tree; look at the small green patch in the study and look to the left 30 deg up - there is a light patch - the corresponding area is dark in the painting. I think that bright patch is important to make it easier to climb from the bright patch below...

Do you see it?

shelewis
03-25-2000, 02:10 PM
Henrik, I had to go look at the original to answer your first question. The red haze was created by the scan. The original does have a medium value there, but it is more of a cool gray/blue like up in the bottom of the top cloud. Also, the scan and then reduction that I did to fit it on the post is what has made it appear darker, I still have that light area that you are talking about. Although it is a little narrower, it points more directly towards the tree.
Michael,
the sky is darker in the finished painting, than the first sketch, but like I said above, the scan and reduction has actually made it look darker than it is on the original. I sure wish I could hurry up and get my digital camera back from the shop so I don't have these problems!!!LOL
Anyway, thanks again for the comments!!

Paula

henrik
03-25-2000, 02:48 PM
Paula, I don't know if my verbal explanation came across correct - here is an image instead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/outonalimb-hl1.jpg

I marked with black those areas/lines that I think are important (good) in the study and are made differently in the painting.

arlene
03-26-2000, 12:48 AM
henrik,
i see the red haze too.
i think it's just the way the picture was scanned.

shelewis
03-26-2000, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the visual Henrik!! That really clears it up for me and I can see what you mean! I will try to lift some paint and see if that works!!
Thanks again!

Paula

cagathoc
03-26-2000, 09:25 AM
Henrik,

You should consider charging for advice as good as this...

grin

amanda
03-27-2000, 10:37 AM
I do like your painting - it's dramatic. The only thing that comes to mind is that it needs a few more tonal variations amongst the rocks. That would give it depth. Apart from that, I love it. The colours remind my of Australia.

CarlyHardy
03-28-2000, 03:30 PM
What a wonderful completion of your first work! I love the drama that you've created.
Did you know that you have an eagle's beak created in the formation of your rocks?
carly

shelewis
03-28-2000, 09:10 PM
Carly,
It's so funny that you mention the eagle's beak, no, I didn't know it was there. Now that you mentioned it though, I can see it. I was just telling Michael, during our first meeting, that people are always telling me they see hidden objects in my paintings. However, I never mean for them to be there!! Maybe it's just a subconcious thing!!! LOL

Thanks for you comments all, you've made my confidence soar!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Paula