PDA

View Full Version : Help

J.Dillon
03-23-2000, 12:16 PM
Need some advise on how to get my light house to show a true red in her beam light. It seems to turn to a magenta. I guess the grey fog does that. This painting doesn't show a sailing vessel to the left gropping her way through the fog, just her masts and stb.(green) running light show. My scanner can't handle 12"X18" Thanks. It sure great to be an artists forum. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=259042&a=1928336&p=18257273&Sequence=0

[This message has been edited by J.Dillon (edited March 23, 2000).]

bruin70
03-23-2000, 02:37 PM
you have two problems. getting the right red and getting it "bright". the beam is, after all, the brightest thing in the painting.the grey is probably showing thru the red, hence the blueish magenta. there are two ways. paint a white beam and glaze a red over it. i don't prefer this,,,,it's tacky. the second requires a search for a better red. paint as you did. there will be bleeding, but after all, with all the fog there is probably a blending of fog and light anyway. lastly, get as bright AND light a red as you can mix, and either dry brush or dab or both, minute spotty shades of light. i don't know if i'm getting this across correctly. what you are now trying to paint, in an impressionistic way, is how the red light hits the thick fog and lights it up. kinda like when the light from a projector hits floating dust or smoke from a cigarette,,,,you're trying to capture the red light hitting the fog. it's not a consistent beam, but one that breaks up here and there as it catches different patches of fog....milt

CarlyHardy
03-23-2000, 10:10 PM
Bruin said all the good stuff..but I don't think the light would actually project as far out into the fog as you show it. It would break up really fast because of the fog moving and blowing about.
The light on the boat would probably not
be seen at all with the heavy fog. I've been on the beach before when the fog was thick with a flash light and you couldn't see it if you walked too far away.
Wonderful painting...a sense of impending doom or of salvation!
carly

J.Dillon
03-24-2000, 09:30 PM
Milt & Carly, thanks for the tips. They both sound right. Now to try and do it. Will play around on a seperate piece and see what looks right.

bobsart
03-28-2000, 10:52 AM
JD,

Milt and Carly are correct. I've never seen that type of lighthouse emitting a red beam so I may not be an "expert witness" but I do hang out at the airport and I have seen green beacons. The green light(you can probably substitute red) does not form a beam but is diffused. It colors the water vapor particles with the most intense color nearest the light source. I have painted airplane red and green nav lites by painting a bright white dot and then glazing the desired color over the white after the white is completely dry. After all that is what the beacon is. A bright white light behind a colored lens. In your case I would make the center of the beacon the brightest white and gray it as you move away. Then glaze it with a cad red. Don't make it a single beam but a directional glow. Good luck.

bob

J.Dillon
03-28-2000, 04:52 PM
Thanks Bob. I have softened up the light a little and hinted the beam in the surrounding fog. It does seem to look better.