PDA

View Full Version : Retro Chic

Veronica
11-20-2002, 12:43 PM
One from my latest series. Comments? I'm not fragile though it does feel I'm uncovering a part of myself. Loving this forum and wanna play too. veronica

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2002/retr0.jpg

surreal
11-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I love it!!!
:D

jnet11
11-20-2002, 03:37 PM
what is the size and medium?

i find the hard black a bit disconcerting as it doesn't go through out the rest, but I'm no expert :)

Veronica
11-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Surreal.....thank you!!!!!

Jnet it is acrylic 16x20 canvas. I am trying to transition to acrylic after years of oil and willow charcoal. I am struggling with finding a soft black to work with in acrylics and agree it is overpowering in this piece. I have always painted with oils and charcoal so I'm clueless how to integrate blacks into my acrylic palette. I feel as if I put on fatigues and do battle with the acrylics....but love the fast dry. Thanks for your suggestion...it is well received. :)

kaety
11-20-2002, 05:46 PM
Veronica I love the piece so far!

Personally I feel the balance is a little out with all the black at the top. It doesnt "feel" like a black painting as such as the use of the green and pink is gorgeous! Maybe a little less black on the top left and another green leaf??
Remember the joy of acrylic is overpainting , once its dry unlike oils where you scrape it back (from my understanding as a non-oiler - yet) Try maybe some green up there then it wont feel so black also the hair will contrast from the backing

Keep it up once you get used to acrylics they are easy !!!
Im sure you would tell me the same as I am wishing to transition to oils one day and am nervous about it!! :)

Kaety

Veronica
11-20-2002, 07:05 PM
Kaety,
I am feeling hopeful! I had no clue I could overpaint with green and cover the black. I'll add another green leaf in the upper left and weave in variant hues of pink/green reworking that area. Thank you *so* much for sharing; I am learning lots here.

Oils will be fun for you with lots of versatility and time to blend/shade. Thanks again. :D veronica

kaety
11-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Veronica,

I have found impasto medium helpful for volume and retardent helpful to prevent overfast drying with acrylics.. this might help you a little with your transition across from oils :)

Ill show you my work if I ever take the plunge and do oils!

Kaety

Veronica
11-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Kaety,
I went into the city today and stopped at Artisan's...shall return later in the week and pick up the mediums. Major learning curve but I'm enjoying the ride more today. Thanks so much! veronica

Wayne Gaudon
11-21-2002, 05:00 AM
Agree, the black is far too overpowering in this.

Suggestion: make your own blacks (darks) .. thalo green and alz crimson or ultramarine blue/burnt sienna .. or Thalo Blue and Alz Crimson ... so many combos depending on if you want a warm a cold etc. .. much more interesting as they will blend with the process.

Gar
11-21-2002, 05:06 AM
The eyes and mouth are oddly and mutatedly symbolic in a way that pleases my artistic tastes very much.

PS - Veronica is a nice name.:)

Veronica
11-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Wayne,
Agreed. I mix my blacks in oils and shall adopt the same process in acrylics. Thanks! veronica

Veronica
11-21-2002, 10:16 AM
Gar,
I am moved by your comment. I've painted eyes and mouth the same since age seven. I'm half Cherokee and the symbolism weaves its way into my art somehow.
I came upon your website at 3am and felt an artsy tribal connection. You are the **~~bomb~~**!!!!
veronica
who was named veronica victoria after both grandmothers following a mom/dad dispute over my name. my parents called me by their own mother's name so i was terribly confused in kindergarten. i wanted to be ann but had to choose one. glad you approve :)

mame
11-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Veronica
Surreal.....thank you!!!!!

Jnet it is acrylic 16x20 canvas. I am trying to transition to acrylic after years of oil and willow charcoal. I am struggling with finding a soft black to work with in acrylics and agree it is overpowering in this piece. I have always painted with oils and charcoal so I'm clueless how to integrate blacks into my acrylic palette. I feel as if I put on fatigues and do battle with the acrylics....but love the fast dry. Thanks for your suggestion...it is well received. :)

Alizarin Crimson/Thalo Green/Grumbacher Indianthrone Blue =
super "colored" black. Think "DARK" instead of "BLACK".

This is a fairly transparent combo. Can make more opaque by adding some raw umber or any other very dark opaque color. Grumbacher's Greenish Umber works well too.

Veronica
11-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Mame,
Thank you SO much....I love this mix and will put it in motion today. And I shall think dark vs. black; I promise. You are a natural teacher and a smashing artist. Thank you for sharing your gifting and self. veronica

ZOTMA
11-21-2002, 10:46 AM
some great advice
feels like learning color all over again when switching media
those acrylics don't act like oil
looking forward to seeing more of your work

Veronica
11-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Another in this series which seems not quite as garish and black. It was my first piece in acrylic and I'm guessing I mixed the black vs. used it from the tube which has now been properly tossed. no more pics i promise! veronica
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2002/tribal.jpg

Veronica
11-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Zotma,
YES....superb advice! Amazing input. And a major learning curve for me. You are on the mark...acrylics behave like acrylics and I must shift because they do not. I am struggling but keep repeating to myself it is a good thing to stretch myself. :) veronica

ZOTMA
11-21-2002, 10:58 AM
great attitude
I'm still curving on that learn myself
this piece doesn't seem so overpowered, the black line doin it's thing
I like your gestures; seems a big brush, whole arm
this one is 16x20 also?

Veronica
11-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Zotma,
Yes....used one large flat to paint the entire piece. Nothing remotely serious on the acrylic menu these days. ;)

I am in total and complete awe of your work and it grabs me beyond measure. Your surreal pieces are off the scale.... you have mastered oils and your style is so uniquely your own. I really have no words to express the emotion I felt while previewing your works. I plan to settle in this evening and experience each one. Thank you for sharing....veronica