PDA

View Full Version : Here with another question

cjwilkinson
10-07-2010, 03:27 AM
How would I transfer my image onto my paper? I have so far only worked in acrylic on canvas, and use an HB pencil to draw with. Do I do the same when working in pastel? Would the colour of the pastels be enough to cover the pencil sketches? Thanks in advance, Carol.

sketchZ1ol
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
hello
one way to transfer images is to make a grid system of parallel horizontal and vertical lines on tracing paper = a paper full of squares, like graph paper
2cm squares might be good for anything but very small paintings

would recommend vine or willow charcoal sticks for the drawing
graphite tends to resist pastel - it's a bit greasy

and practicing free-hand drawing is important too :)

:} Ed

Dcam
10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I agree with Ed. Charcoal works well, or you could use a pastel pencil. I sometimes use a pastel pencil in earthtone color or even blue sometimes.

Good Luck, Derek

allydoodle
10-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree with both Ed and Derek - charcoal or pastel pencil. They work equally well.

*Deirdre*
10-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Carol...I've moved this to the talk section as I think you'll get more focused answers here....
I've found, that if I use graphite for the underdrawing, unless it is sprayed with a few coats of fixative, it smears and taints the pastel....and in my opinion, fixative has an effect of smoothing out the ground you are working on...so I don't use it with pastel.
If it's not critical that you get it right first time, draw freehand...the more you do it the better you get at it....and if you do it lightly to start off with...it's an easy fix if you need to adjust!
I always freehand Landscapes, sometimes still lifes or
I sometimes use Di Ponting's method of transferring a drawing...
Coat the back of your drawing with light or dark pastel, then trace over the front of your drawing, having taped it over your ground, and marked both...so you can match it up, should you need to re trace any points. The pressure of your pencil will leave the outline of your drawing.
Or you can use the grid method as explained below.
My favourite way, if I need to use a grid for accuracy..portraits mainly...if doing them from a photo...is to fold a printout of my photo, fold it in half, then quarters, then eighths...making sure it's done accurately. Then I just divide and mark my ground - half - quarters, eighths....I don't rule it....but I do use a ruler and mark the cross points....that way I know where my imaginary lines start and end....it's a tad quicker than drawing lines on both...and a lot less to remove if you get it wrong!:D

chuas2
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Carol,
I use charcoal, pastel (on the back of tracing or vellum paper) or Saral paper. The method that works best for me is reference points rather than a full grid (unless I'm going full on photorealism). This method requires more proficiency in freehand drawing, but if you draw fairly well, it works, and then you don't have to erase all the grid marks.
Chuas

Ruthie57
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
I use a pastel pencil in a similar colour to my paper, just enough so I can see the marks. When you start laying the pastel down you will lose some of those marks anyway. I find I'm re-drawing a subject right the way throught the process!

cjwilkinson
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you Ed, Derek and Chris! I had not thought of using either a pastel or charcoal and would have been merrily using an ordinary pencil.. then ended up regretting it. Great advice!

Thanks for moving my post Deirdre - really kind of you :) I will check out Di Ponting's method - I am not familiar with it. You have given me excellent tips and I really like the technique of folding your picture into eighths. I have used the grid method before and I try to make larger and fewer blocks each time, as I know I have to practise my drawing skills - they are far from good! Thanks again.

Hi Ruthie! Thank you - again, had not thought of using a pastel in a similar colour to the paper.. it all makes such sense when I read it, why can't I think of these things!!

Nansketch
10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Carol, Welcome!! Agree with everyone here - depending on the work, I've used all of these techniques. For a detailed drawing, I like Di Ponting's method that Deirdre mentioned (it's in the Drawing & Sketching Classroom section) -- Di tapes the drawing (on sketch paper)over the top of the pastel support -- that way you can transfer all or part of it and it is easy to flip it back if you need to check a reference or retrace.

Nancy

Lisa Fiore
10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I actually always use a pencil for the initial drawing, although I do try to keep the marks light and I sometimes use a kneaded eraser to lighten them even more. I've never had a problem with the pastel covering the pencil marks or with smearing. I prefer pencil to charcoal because the charcoal smudges off so easily.

cjwilkinson
10-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks Nancy! I have scoured the Drawing and Sketching Class section.. is the method that you are talking about when she rubs the back of the sketch paper with a pale pastel then rubs it over the pastel support? I am trying to get my head around this.

Thanks for the advice Lisa!

Carol

*Deirdre*
10-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Sorry...I should have posted this link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405403&page=17&highlight=ponting) which explains the process...post number 46 has most of it.

cjwilkinson
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much for the link Deirdre!

sketchZ1ol
10-08-2010, 05:44 PM
hello
had thought of method that Deirdre refers also
an issue that does come up for me with that method when i'm working a highly detailed piece
i usually work it on a table top and work from fingers
= leaning on the tracer
so i work from one side/corner/whatever and add the tracer colour in bits/blocks as i go along, with a piece of scrap in between so there's no staining
tedious, but it saves a lot of clean-up :)
:} Ed

Nansketch
10-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Deidre, thanks for finding the link -- much easier that way.

Carol, hope you get to try this -- all the suggestions that have been mentioned can be used - just depends on the drawing.

Nancy