PDA

View Full Version : Working from bruin's example

MichaelRH
03-15-2000, 01:38 PM
Cindy..(take the rest of the day off!!)...and head to the Cafe k!
Thank you very much for your response. Actually, I debated posting this piece..it is still wet..and could not scan complete piece. I was enjoying playing with values..shapes..although the underlying drawing and painting..took about 20 minutes..I knew the drawing was not accurate...I will not post anything for a while..until I MAKE myself sit down and do it right..drawing..features..(the details). It was really just a very spontaneous rough. you are right, the nose does not line up with the rest of the face..eyes and nose make a "T"..with the top of the "T" angling up to the right. (Will have to take more time)..but is difficult when coming from quick/gestural (liberty-taking expressive pieces). (mk has already suggested that I truly focus, and perhaps STOP opening new doors..and get VERY comfortable in ONE or TWO rooms.

MichaelRH
03-15-2000, 02:20 PM
Just a quick note. (by way of explanation).
I believe we all have artists that we have admired, and learned from..as we approach our own "style". (Not sure I even HAVE a.."style"..as each inspiration generates a unique response for me).
I admire draftsmanship, mood, expressiveness, sensuality..and that "painterly" quality that I see in Sargent's and mk's work. My intent, with the above piece is NOT to copy mk's style..or even subject. I would like to learn to DRAW with paint..and become as confident with my painting as I am with my drawing (and I take liberties with both).
I am seeing something in mk's handling of paint..mood..atmosphere, thank I like. I would only like to learn..and perhaps..create better paintings..in my OWN hand. Isn't that what most of us do..(I would guess that mk..you also have people you have admired..and your "style" has perhaps evolved over time...because of past influences.
(I'm certain, I will be the LAST person to copy a style, technique...or subject matter.
This was ONLY...a rough (quick) study..based on some things I see in bruin70's work that I like. (mk your work has a romantic quality)..and perhaps my goal is to elevate controversial material to a level at which a wider range of (buyers) will take note.
(a bit of a risky undertaking, but it is not up to me to (as I mentioned to Cindy) elevate the viewer..there are many viewers who have no desire to see beyond their own prejudices and values. (and it is not for me to "judge"....THEM).

MichaelRH
03-16-2000, 12:21 AM
Well...here goes..
This is a very small oil study..scanned it directly off a 12"X16" canvas panel. I have been studying bruin70's paintings.., and although I was in a (sorry to admit) HURRY to paint this "sketch", I want to continue to learn from bruin70. (But I'm sure I need to slow down first!!!!..and I will do this. You all know, that at times you want to paint so badly..get anxious..but totally forget to think and develope the work thoughtfully. So..here I am, bouncing back and forth from expressive drawings and paintings..but wanting to understand bruin70's steps..
So....bruin70, when you see this, I'm quite sure you will say..why did you bother!!with this one..(I'll do more..and have better things for you to help me through). I must say I really love your "painterly" quality..the moods you convey..and the "atmosphere"..all of which I am no where near..and not sure that (given my tendency to react and express, rather than develope a piece with.."reserve"...and grace as you do mk), I will be able to slow down for a while. (Your faces..are wonderful!!!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/afterbruin70.jpg

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited March 15, 2000).]

henrik
03-16-2000, 12:28 AM
Michael,
you must have been in a hurry - there was no image ?!?!
(now there is an image - Michael fixed the problem)
(You had a space in the filename - that doesn't work well. If you substitute the space with a '%' followed by '20' (check by cklicking 'edit' on this message and you see what I did). However, some browsers may not display this correctly. The best is to change the name of the pic, and re-upload it)

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited March 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by henrik (edited March 15, 2000).]

henrik
03-16-2000, 12:33 AM
And you posted as I edited my earlier post to include an explanation of what I changed....
Weird chat this...

MichaelRH
03-16-2000, 12:33 AM
OKOK...uh...henrik, looks like YOU will get credit for my image...not sure AT ALL..how this happened. HELP! haha...oh well..any suggestions on how to get this oil study under MY (laughing as I type this)...post..
You and Cindy are BOTH here as I am working on this..but this is really...scary. LOL
Perhaps meet in the Cafe..it is 10:20AM, Wednesday morning..(Colorado time)..I'm heading to the Cafe for a DRINK!!!!!(booze)maybe even a FEW drinks.

henrik
03-16-2000, 12:42 AM
Michael, I am in chat now if you want to talk. I saw you changed the name, now you need to put the IMG directive on a separate line to avoid the scaling (or did you rescale it?)
I will edit my earlier post so pic is not included twice.

MichaelRH
03-16-2000, 12:43 AM
henrik..thank you SOOOOO much for your help..and noting the space in the image filename...seems to be corrected..NOW...hehe, about my image on your post..you may want to delete your post. Sorry for the confusion..but you were a BIG help..
My point was to try to scan the image well enough so that the brush strokes can be noted, but I did not want to make the file TOO large...oh well, that is about the best I can do and not have the image be to big.
Cindy..henrik..I'm heading to the Cafe for that DRINK!!! (sigh)...Mike

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited March 16, 2000).]

MichaelRH
03-16-2000, 12:46 AM
henrik..I did rescale..just reduced it once more slightly..(I'm always afraid of making the posts too large)..heading for the Cafe (and a shot of whiskey!) now..RELAX..LOL!!

cagathoc
03-16-2000, 12:56 AM
*The colors are beautiful!
*The composition is interesting...
*The eyes don't seem to be focused on the same point... Her left eye seems to be gazing left and the right eye seems to be gazing straight ahead?
*The nose looks flattened out on the top plane. Is this done for stylistic reasons?
*Nice curving brushwork; mirrors flow of composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I enjoyed looking at it.

p.s. I couldn't come to chat because I am at work today! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited March 15, 2000).]

shelewis
03-16-2000, 10:42 PM
Michael,
For a quick sketch, this is wonderful! I can't wait to see your work in person!!

Paula

CarlyHardy
03-16-2000, 11:03 PM
Michael, this is beautiful...the flowing lines..but was just wondering about her hand.
I tried to hold mine in that shape but my thumb is too short?...really like your colors for this piece too.
carly

bruin70
03-16-2000, 11:49 PM
what am i to do with all these compliments...my head will just get bigger anf bigger. anywho,,,,the eyes are misaligned. her left is too high. you might try using the block style of starting a head instead of the traditional oval.the block will allow you to see the alignments better......milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

bruin70
03-17-2000, 12:11 AM
here's a block style. you might try different ways of seeing. maybe start with the oval and add the front block only,,,or whatever...milt

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/afterbruin70b.jpg

MichaelRH
03-17-2000, 04:22 AM
Well..bruin70, I have heard that you are getting ready for a show..so I was not sure when I might see your note. Thank you for this suggestion, and thank you also for your suggestions regarding "Portrait of "S". I have told myself I would not post again..without taking the necessary time, from start to finish on my next piece. I have a feeling that YOU can surely see the difference between a serious attempt..and one where the effort was not really made.
I did like the facial expression..and I was working from an existing sketch..(a sketch I had done from a photo in a fashion magazine).
You mentioned that your "ladies" are from your imagination (tell me if I am wrong here), meaning that they are idealizations, that maybe you are bringing together many of the facial elements you find appealing.
Well, I have two days free..to paint. I will be more critical of next pieces prior to posting.
Thank you mk....for taking the time from your busy schedule. mh

MichaelRH
03-17-2000, 04:38 AM
Hi CHC and Paula:
Paula, I'm really looking foreward to seeing some of your originals also...will try to catch you and Aaron very soon. I'll call.
CHC..I am so used to taking liberties with figures..(deliberate distortion..if you will!!!!), that you are probably right..the hand is "off" also. Ok, since you all "see through" this..uh sketch... I will work on being more convincing next time. (you and mk, and others will surely keep me honest in the future!!!)LOL
Thanks all of you for your thoughtful evaluations and kind comments. See you all in the Cafe!

bruin70
03-17-2000, 06:42 AM
yeah,,,it's why i haven't been to chat of late. i tend to lose track of time when i'm in chat. my ladies aren't so much from my imagination,,,they're real models,,,but i don't attempt likenesses. just generalizations, but certainly with emotion and "content" in mind. btw,,,that's a crappy generalized version of how i block my heads. i'll do a better one, and scan later on....milt

Kimber74
03-17-2000, 05:34 PM
This sketch works for me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/cool.gif

I'm confused. Did you mean to do a distortion here? If so, then the length of the thumb and the skew of the eyes is irrelevant. Personally, I'm a fan of unusual treatments of subjects. I was just unclear on your intent.

Nice work, IMO.

BillieD
03-17-2000, 10:09 PM
I like the portrait as is. It has emotion. I have the impression she's overhearing a discussion and forming an opinion, she's skeptical, but, openminded. I think the slight skewing of her features, exaggerates the expression, but, not comically. It interests me. I don't know if that is what you wanted to do, but, it does it for me. I like it!

MichaelRH
03-18-2000, 07:34 AM
Hi Kimber74 and BillieD:

Yes...if you visit my gallery: http://www.krweb.com/pages/mike/index.shtml
you will see quite a few pieces in which in I intentionally take liberties with proportions and the figure. Let me just say that my intent in this piece, with both the red-pencil sketch that lies beneath and the paint on top...was not to be concerned with accuracy...I had gotten to a point (because I have done realistic figures also) that it has felt more like my nature...to really not worry (and not pressure myself) to paint figures that conform to an anatomical chart.
Many,many artists, when they begin to express themselves in a manner that is true (for themselves), seldom paint figures that meet rigorous proportional or anatomical guidelines. I feel the appeal of various artist's work comes from the fact that they do figures in their OWN way. (Don't you think???). But don't get me wrong...I appreciate the skill involved in doing portraits and accurate work...but I had to (in order to free myself) get away from (proving to myself..???) that I could draw realistic figures. I've done tons of work..in the classroom..to learn anatomy..the dynamics of figures in motion..etc, etc. We should go our own way, once we've made the commitment to follow our own artistic directives. (that becomes our artistic signature. See you in the Cafe.

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited March 18, 2000).]

MichaelRH
03-18-2000, 07:42 AM
bruin70...i pretty much do the same thing..LOVE working from the model (i take lots of photographs..just for reference, and even a "history" of the collaboration between myself and the model, but it is seldom that i do a literal interpretation of the model. I have done portraits..but they don't interest me as much as turning the model's gesture..and the dynamics of a model's pose into something on paper or canvas--that I...feel. The model is a "catalyst" for me
based on ideas I have, or ideas in which the model and I can work together to refine.
mk...I hope your show is a sell-out!

MichaelRH
03-18-2000, 01:43 PM
Thank you.....CJ

Kimber74
03-18-2000, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MichaelRH:

Yes...if you visit my gallery: http://www.krweb.com/pages/mike/index.shtml
you will see quite a few pieces in which in I intentionally take liberties with proportions and the figure.

Michael,
Beautiful work! I love that expressive style. Visiting your site was an inspiration for me. Thank you! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

CJScott
03-19-2000, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by MichaelRH:
bruin70...i pretty much do the same thing..LOVE working from the model (i take lots of photographs..just for reference, and even a "history" of the collaboration between myself and the model, but it is seldom that i do a literal interpretation of the model. I have done portraits..but they don't interest me as much as turning the model's gesture..and the dynamics of a model's pose into something on paper or canvas--that I...feel. The model is a "catalyst" for me
based on ideas I have, or ideas in which the model and I can work together to refine.
mk...I hope your show is a sell-out!
Michael1RH: Don't change a thing! I don't know Bruin, haven't been engaged with this site for more than today, but it's beautiful whether it's similar to his work or not. I love figurative, realistic work probably because that's what I do. But, the dreamlike, surrealistic, imaginative rendering of a subject always seems to me to go beyond what can be said in a direct portrait whether it's from one model or a composite of what's in your head. If parts of the figure or face are a bit off, why worry about it? Some time in the future when you're famous, an art critic or psychiatrist will interpret you and your personality based on what you chose to emphasize, distort or de-emphasize. Won't that be fun?

henrik
03-19-2000, 06:18 PM
Micheal, I love it - the strange perspective adds to the mystery - makes it strong.

MichaelRH
03-20-2000, 08:53 AM
Hello henrik:
I've enjoyed talking with you in the Cafe!!! (We will have to continue our discussion about Degas-or some others)!. Thank you for your note. I hope you find more time to paint...would love to see more of your work. Was it you who mentioned P.S. Kroyer? If you find any examples of the artists whom you admire...I would like to see examples via email if you are able to send something. ([email protected])
I will be at my favorite table in the Cafe a little later this morning. (monday, March 20, before noon, Colorado time) hope to see you.

[This message has been edited by MichaelRH (edited March 20, 2000).]