PDA

View Full Version : Portrait--RMM

msue
03-16-2000, 10:20 AM
Gonna get this posted right if it kills me.
I'm looking for help in the shape of the hat. I've reworked it a half dozen times or more and it still doesn't seem right. Could someone with the magic software draw and let me see if my brain will finally "compute" to my hand.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/RMM.jpg

I had so much trouble getting a properly sized image I forgot to mention that I realize the portions are off, but they are not what I am asking about. It is the hat that I want input about. I'm trying to post the photograph, but I only have a document scanner and it may not work.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Rmm.tif

[This message has been edited by msue (edited March 17, 2000).]

henrik
03-16-2000, 11:46 AM
Hi msue, really hard to say if there is anything wrong with the hat's shape - maybe work on shadows to make it look rounder... Can you post the photo?

Another thing that I think needs attention is the man's right arm (our left) and hand. It looks to short and a bit too puny. For the hand to be in that position the arm must be bent (but it does not look that way). If the arm is hanging straight down the hand would have to be lowered.

cagathoc
03-16-2000, 01:06 PM
I agree with H. What bothers me about the hat is that flat, white hole in your painting. With shading, I bet it would look fine.

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

arlene
03-16-2000, 08:47 PM
Besides the shading already mentioned, the hat needs to be pulled down a bit in the back.
The thing that really bothers me though is your proportions.
If you divide the human body into segments, you would notice that an adult male is 8 heads tall. I'll try and map it out below.
________

head
________

________ at this line should be the center of
the breastbone

________ this line is where the waist is and
where the elbow falls.

________ this line is the hip line

________ this is the mid thigh line and where
the fingertips fall

________ this is the middle of the knee

________ this is mid calf

________ and of course this is the bottom of the feet.

Hope this helps.

CarlyHardy
03-16-2000, 11:19 PM
I know a sailor's hat is flat when it is not on the head...and is shaped like a boat when it is worn..with the point forward more on the head and the back of the hat in the center back of the head. Shading will also help to get the angle correct.
carly

CJScott
03-19-2000, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by msue:
Gonna get this posted right if it kills me.
I'm looking for help in the shape of the hat. I've reworked it a half dozen times or more and it still doesn't seem right. Could someone with the magic software draw and let me see if my brain will finally "compute" to my hand.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/RMM.jpg

I had so much trouble getting a properly sized image I forgot to mention that I realize the portions are off, but they are not what I am asking about. It is the hat that I want input about. I'm trying to post the photograph, but I only have a document scanner and it may not work.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/Rmm.tif

[This message has been edited by msue (edited March 17, 2000).]

Hi: The portrait has a nice "feel" to it. The comments from others about proportions also applies to the hat. Try playing around with ellipses on the head to get the "right"
perspective. Think of it as a halo. I believe sailors' caps are completely round on the edges. They generally mash them up and play around with them but you've set it on the head straight so the relationship of the hat to the background and to the image needs to be in perspective. Actually, I don't think the shape is the problem you should be concerned about. Others have mentioned shading - I believe that would work. And, if you add some color, it would be less emphasized and you wouldn't be so stressed about it. Have fun with it. I have one that's been driving me nuts for three years but when I finally figured out what I needed to do, I didn't want to change the painting. So, what's a painter to do but enjoy the process.