PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Garden Critique Please

dzspag
03-17-2000, 07:02 PM
Watersoluable Oil on Canvas
30" x 40" unframed

This house is really nearby, but it is only about 20 feet from the street. The garden doesn't exist at all...but I was inspired to paint it. I have been trying to learn to work with oils again, since I haven't touched them in 20 years. I use Max linseed or quick dry medium to improve the flow of paint. Hope you enjoy the painting...it is a different style from my detailed acrylics, but I tend to change styles with different media. I welcome all comments and advice. Thanks..see you in chat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/vgard2.jpg

[This message has been edited by dzspag (edited March 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dzspag (edited March 17, 2000).]

Phyllis Rennie
03-17-2000, 08:10 PM
Beautiful! Wish my garden looked like that! I especially like your trees. Can you extend the edge of the roof a bit--it doesn't appear to overhang the dentil blocks quite enough??? Phyl

Phyllis Franklin
03-17-2000, 08:27 PM
Dee: I really like this piece and I love how you used your imagination to build the garden. You really did well.

henrik
03-18-2000, 11:50 AM
Wonderful painting!
Love the way you have rendered/painted it.
There are two things that I think could make an improvement. The composition is circular thus creating a bulls eye effect placing the focus on the bright green spot. I feel the focus should be someplace else (perhaps the entrance, or the tree on the left, or the roses...)
Secondly; the grass at the back of the house seems cut of from the front - I think an opening in the roses connecting the front and the back would help - this may also reduce the circular feel.