PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting

dhenton
03-14-2000, 11:21 PM
Submitted for your approval, a digital painting. The figure was created using Painter, the environment in Bryce 4.
The image is here: <a href="http://webpages.marcus-online.net/dhenton/wetcanvas/pt1.jpg">http://webpages.marcus-online.net/dhenton/wetcanvas/pt1.jpg</a>

The original figure study is here: <a href="http://webpages.marcus-online.net/dhenton/wetcanvas/ptsample.jpg">http://webpages.marcus-online.net/dhenton/wetcanvas/ptsample.jpg</a>
As always, comments and criticisms are always welcome!

------------------
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan

Drew Davis
03-15-2000, 08:39 AM
I think the figure could be integrated with the background more. It still has a fairly hard outline all around, especially on the skirt, which gives it a pasted-on look. The colors also isolate the foreground. Except for the shadows, the two halves are pretty much unrelated in that respect.

Speaking of shadows, the lighting on the figure seems somewhat inconsistent to me. The planet in the background shows a light coming from high above, to the right a bit, and somewhat into the viewer's eyes. On the figure, the face is light from the right, the hair and upper body from above, the lower body mostly from the side, and the feet either from above or, on the right foot, right and a bit behind. The shadow on the rock goes away from the viewer, though.

She looks pretty cold up on that mountaintop with the wind blowing, isolated off by the edge with all that empty space. The colors are almost all warm, though. How about if you reinforce that thought with cooler colors in the image? Unless, of course, that's a contrast that you were going for, alone despite the inviting dawn pink world.

The image has a lot of potential for that theme of isolation, and just needs a bit more development.

[This message has been edited by Drew Davis (edited March 15, 2000).]

henrik
03-15-2000, 09:45 AM
In addition to Drew's comments I have three things that bother me...
The shadow on her right side of the face looks odd and jumps out. Maybe because of the inconsistent lightning pointed out by Drew.

The hair is a bit too stiff/plastic (almost like branches on a tree). Softer edges may help and perhaps also how highligts are done.

Since the wind is blowing hard (as made evident by the hair), why are the clothes not affected?

Drew Davis
03-15-2000, 08:33 PM
Ah! Thanks, henrik. I couldn't figure out what else was bothering me about the hair. The solid tresses give me lots of echoes of Medusa, but I see now that rest of that reaction is that the dress isn't affected by any wind. You'd think I might notice that, eh? But no, it never crossed my (conscious) mind. Interesting.

The hair has a similar treatment in the original figure sketch, so I thought it was intentional, given the otherworldly nature.

cagathoc
03-16-2000, 01:29 PM
Ok, so I'll be the dissonant one here...

I like this picture the way it is.

The dress is tight - it wouldn't blow in the wind and the georgeous, medusa like hair blowing in the wind is what draws your attention directly to her face.

Speaking of the face... I like the deep purple shadow on the right side of her face. Why not? Maybe this planet has two suns? (But then you would need to lighten part of the other side of the moon also.) And the light is coming at her from multiple directions. This is sci fi! It looks good, so I like it.

If you integrate the figure with the background more, the painting will lose some of its impact (which is the lonely figure; disconnected from all else). I feel it's appropriate for her to be seperated from the rest of the painting; it sends a message.

Now, for the warm colors - maybe she's cold in spite of the warmth around her; maybe that's part of the point... I love the colors.

potential? The image screams isolation at me in every way right now, for the above mentioned reasons...

The hair is perfect. It fits in with the style of the painting.

Great work, dhenton! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

p.s. do you scan your drawing into your program and then work with it in the computer from there?

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited March 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cagathoc (edited March 16, 2000).]

Phyllis Rennie
03-16-2000, 08:11 PM
Another suggestion: I'd move the figure and the mountain a bit closer to the center for a better composition. Phyl

dhenton
03-16-2000, 09:39 PM
<h4>Wow!</h4>
Thanks for the comments! I see a lot of things to work on that I hadn't thought of. When I redo this I will take them into consideration. Part of the confusion on the lighting is that there are 3 light sources. This picture was modeled in a 3d program to get at the lighting, but I didn't communicate that. There's actually a spotlight on the face, which accounts for the biggest error I think is present: the dress is either two toned, or the lower half of the body is in shadow. It's pretty confusing and needs more work.

I am especially flattered by those who commented on the "meaning" of the picture. At my stage of development, it's especially useful to get feedback on "content" or "meaning". I would never have thought of the theme of isolation. As far as I'm concerned the purpose of this picture was to test the idea of fusing hand rendered and CG rendered portions in a digital painting. I'll need to keep working at it. That's what makes it fun!

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by dhenton (edited March 16, 2000).]

Drew Davis
03-16-2000, 10:41 PM
I thought about the integration vs. isolation at the time, particularly with respect to color. You could certainly go either way with it, but I do find the outline a bit hard. Perhaps it's just that I know it was done in two different programs. Similarly, but on the other side, I didn't say anything about the figure far to the left, because I liked her not being quite in the "subject" position http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

msue
03-17-2000, 01:48 AM
This is cool. I like everything except the hair near the neck. It looks too much like fish fins.